Apple's Time Machine and OMV - failed backups after half a year of usage

• Hello!

I am encountering an issue with Time Machine when using OMV 5.6.26-1.

For setting up a Time Machine for my 1TB MacBook Pro M1, I followed the guide here: https://jc-lan.org/2022/06/19/…hine-with-smb-on-omv-5-6/

For a few months, everything worked smoothly, until an issue arose after my MacBook had been in sleep mode for about a week. When I switched it on, I received an error message stating that the Time Machine store could not be accessed (error 19).

After restarting OMV, my MacBook indicated that the backups were corrupt and needed to be cleared. When I checked the size of the Shared Folder dedicated to Time Machine (via du -sh .), it was occupying 777G. Regrettably, I did not verify the Used capacity from the OMV Quota menu at this time.

I deleted the backup from MacOS and things appear to be functioning normally now, with successful backup verification. However, I am concerned that this problem may recur, potentially at a less convenient time, such as when my MacOS is not functioning properly.

The MacBook System Info shows 727.99 GB of 994.66 GB available, meaning 266.67 GB is occupied, but I assume the OS-related files aren't included in the Time Machine backup, given that OMV shows a Used capacity of 175.89 GiB (and du -sh . shows 176G)

Still, my Time Machine settings display 1.90 TB available, which doesn't align with the remaining 1872.11 GiB as per OMV Quota. 1.90 TB should be an equivalent to 1.73 TiB.

I am beginning to suspect that the discrepancy in available space as displayed between OMV and MacOS could have been the root cause of the backup failure.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion? If this is indeed the case, how should I go about resolving this issue? If not - what might have been the issue?

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!