OMV6 With qbittorrent and wireguard?

• Opening router ports is pointless for downloading torrents with this image. If you feel you must do this for seeding purposes, then you will have to forward the port at your VPN provider's side of the connection, not in your router. Not all VPN providers offer this feature.

Leave the port 8999 statements as is in the compose file and in the Listening port connection setting in the qbt GUI. I have never found a difference with changing these or even leaving them out of the compose file.

If you are concerned about the Connection Status icon being a red flame instead of a green globe, this seems to be cosmetic only. But you can try changing this setting in the Qbt GUI: Connection | Peer connection protocol to: TCP and uTP.

The "qBittorrent client is not reachable" in red at the screen bottom left means that your VPN connection has died. Your connection to the qbt GUI has also crashed, but you won't see that until the page is reloaded with a still down VPN connection. Restarting the container is the first thing to try.

The vital things to have correct with this image are PUID, PGID, and the host side path of the volumes. There is no room for any guesswork with these.

When having problems reading both the container log and the qbittorrent.log is a good idea.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Here's the conf rotating script I'm using with the option VPN_DOWN_FILE=1 with gderf 's image. When the health check fails, it will rotate out the dead/bad VPN conf with another based on modification time (oldest copied first). Read the help, it's basic, only 2 variables to set. There's no tests.

• I deleted what I had, and started over.

The vital things to have correct with this image are PUID, PGID, and the host side path of the volumes.

If these are the global environment variables:

Code
    PUID=1001
    PGID=100
    TZ=Europe/Brussels
    DATA=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e99f6f22-fb04-4ac7-b71c-edfb1dd3e380
    APPDATA=/appdata

... and this is the compose file:

... should that not all be ok then? Or does the config volume need to be in the same shared folder as the downloads folder?

(The first time I tried installing - a few days ago - the system did make a temp folder in my download folder, in which the torrents I had downloaded got their own folder. That didn't happen now...)

• The "qBittorrent client is not reachable" in red at the screen bottom left means that your VPN connection has died. Your connection to the qbt GUI has also crashed, but you won't see that until the page is reloaded with a still down VPN connection. Restarting the container is the first thing to try.

I keep getting this red notification... I assume that free Proton VPN is not working...?

A bit from the docker log:

A bite from qbittorrent.log:

Maybe using a paid VPN is the solution? Any recommendations anyone? :)

• I suggest NOT using any global environment variables. Put the correct values into the compose file instead. This applies to the volumes too.

Verify that - LAN_NETWORK=192.168.1.0/24 is correct for your use case.

Did you generate the Wireguard key file at your VPN provider and properly place it on your OMV machine?

Is your /config host side path the same as your old setup and still have all the files there?

I use Torguard for VPN services. I can't say anything about any of the others because I have no experience with them.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Is your /config host side path the same as your old setup?

No, I changed it a bit.

and still have all the files there?

I don't really now how many files should be there. I did expect the container to be downloaded again, but that didn't happen. So I'm wondering where the files are...

What's the best way to remove a container and reinstall it? I 'took down' the file, deleted it (both on the WebUI) and then removed the folder via Debian CLI.

• Did you generate the Wireguard key file at your VPN provider and properly place it on your OMV machine?

I did. I also think it's in the right folder. I wanted to give more log entries, but 10.000 symbols is easily reached, apparently :)

Verify that - LAN_NETWORK=192.168.1.0/24 is correct for your use case.

It is. Well, I don't 100 % understand the '0/24' part, my NAS is at 192.168.1.10.

• You need to properly setup your volumes, PUID, and PGID and the post your fixed compose file.

--

• I created a wg0.conf file on Proton Free VPN. I was unable to get it working with my image. Additionally, I was able to see messages that P2P use was not allowed on the Proton Free VPN server I configured the file for, Netherlands.

No idea if this mere policy or actually implemented technically to prohibit such use.

I'd say that Proton Free VPN is a dead end with my image.

Maybe you'll have different luck?

--

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• gderf I'm going to push a few more changes to you. I added a conf switcher to the image, it's basically the same thing as the last script I posted, but smaller. I update the help, but I'm not sure if the explanations are good enough :-/. While I still didn't write tests, I did test the few changes with openvpn and they all work. I can't test wireguard right now.

BTW, if a bad/misconfigured .ovpn file is supplied, the container will crash without restart. Say it's just a blank file or some random crap, it will crash. I couldn't figure out how to get a unique error code from openvpn for this particular error, so I couldn't fix it, but it's notable.

Proton VPN clearly states no P2P. However, it's a good paid VPN. For international VPNs, for me (UTC-5) it was faster than mullvad. Although I stuck with mullvad because I like the sign up :P The fact you can pay with cash via snail mail is great!

• Proton VPN clearly states no P2P.

I didn't know that was an ability that had to be checked... I just tested the container with VPN_ENABLED=no, and it works.

I assume all free VPN's will be useless? I don't download stuff that much, so I'm tempted to forego VPN's. But maybe having Qbittorrent up and running without a VPN (even when downloading or uploading nothing) is some kind of security/privacy hazard?

• I didn't know that was an ability that had to be checked... I just tested the container with VPN_ENABLED=no, and it works.

I assume all free VPN's will be useless? I don't download stuff that much, so I'm tempted to forego VPN's. But maybe having Qbittorrent up and running without a VPN (even when downloading or uploading nothing) is some kind of security/privacy hazard?

I can only speak about the VPN service I use, Torguard. I will not comment on other services, free or pay for unless I actually use them, which I don't.

With VPN_ENABLED=no the container will run but it will do so on your real public IP address. If you torrent copyrighted material you will eventually be identified and if this is illegal where you live you will begin to get warnings from your ISP. They may give your identity to the people whose material you are infringing, shut your service off, etc.

I see no point in running a torrent application if you are not torrenting anything, even though this probably doesn't expose you.

--

• No, paid ones don't block P2P, so they work and are recommended.

This is not quite accurate. Torguard, a paid for service, reached a legal settlement with someone regarding copyright infringement. The agreement resulted in them not allowing any torrenting on their US servers - VPNs and proxies. It took a few months for them to actually implement this, but it is in place and working at this time.

I never noticed any performance penalty when using their foreign servers compared to their US servers, making this a non-issue for me.

--

• It would remove the need to turn it on and off. :)

My server and all its dockers run 24/7 regardless if they are doing anything or not.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!