OMV6 - Synology Quick Connect alternative?

• Hi,

I wonder what solution is the best to access shares over the internet (i.e. from mobile phone)?
    On Synology I had QuickConnect, but since I sold my old DSM and moved to DIY solution I have, a problem with this,
    Currently I use Zerotier-One which creates Virtual LAN, so access through it is similar as with real LAN,
    Would be great, but Android app seams to be broken, so I can't access the server anyway.
    Other thing is that zerotier app also blocks local LAN, so if it's running I can't access any device of my local LAN - this was happening even when it worked few months ago.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

• You could install nextcloud on your OMV server, so that you get the nextcloud app for phone. Then expose it to the internet with a cloud flare tunnel

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree. Nextcloud is the closest thing to Synology QuickConnect functionality. You actually use it for access to your files.

• Well, maybe Nextcloud would resolve the problem, but it would be silly to install it just for that feature.
    I don't want to install anything so big - I would rather run OpenVPN server and client app on the phone.
    I'm just not sure if Android can work with VPN for any other purpose then just redirecting internet traffic.
    There is some conflict between LAN and VPN-LAN .... Android can't live with two LAN networks I think.

• Nextcloud isn't that big. It runs just fine on a raspberry pi. On my Proxmox server I have it running on 2gb of memory and 1 CPU, and it works great. I choose to run it in a VM for network isolation reasons (personal preference as I have it exposed to the internet), but it could just as easily run as a docker container or LXC container, using very minimal resources.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't want to install anything so big - I would rather run OpenVPN server and client app on the phone.

Nextcloud is a simple application, which easily runs in a docker container and requires very few resources, check the minimum requirements in its documentation.

I'm just not sure if Android can work with VPN for any other purpose then just redirecting internet traffic.
    There is some conflict between LAN and VPN-LAN .... Android can't live with two LAN networks I think.

A VPN is another alternative, but it forces you to install a file manager on your smartphone suitable for viewing files on the network, that is not so easy to find, although it exists.

There is no conflict between LAN and VPN in android. You can use the omv-wireguard plugin. If you have an DNS server you can leave wireguard always connected and it will work both inside and outside your LAN, secure connection at all times and with access to your LAN at all times. I would not use OpenVPN in any case. Wireguard outperforms OpenVPN in every way and is better supported on OMV.

They are different solutions, a VPN gives you access to the entire LAN but you need to configure the connection on the client. Nextcloud allows you access only to your files but you can connect from any browser without configuring anything, you just need a username and password. Choose what interests you the most.

Actually all these are extra features compared to Synology Quick Connect. In reality, this service is nothing more than a DDNS. To replace it you just need something like duckdns for example to get a free domain and automatic public IP update system. You can do this update with a simple task programmed in this way. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…pdate_with_duckdns_on_omv

Or with a simple container like this one. [How-To] Install DuckDNS. Automatic dynamic IP update.

Once that is done you will have replaced Synology Quick Connect, then you must decide if you follow the Nextcloud path, the Wireguard path, or any other. In any of them you need duckdns or a similar service that directs to your server.

• Thanks @Louie1961 and chente for your replies.
    You're right - Next Cloud isn't too heavy in terms of resources consumption, but using it just to access videos from my NAS is just using one of many features.
    Specially that I would like to access these files with specific app - not just website embedded player, that's why I prefer VPN.
    In LAN I use android version of VLC - which works perfectly with samba and my NAS folders are displayed perfectly with thumbnails.
    I don't want to share anything to 3rd party people, so I don't need easy links - just something that I could install on my or family members phones.

chente, your idea with wireguard plugin interested me - if I register DDNS on my router and redirect the port (which one?) - what software need to use on the android devices?

As I've said I did try to use zerotier-one on android and current version is broken (many users states that). But when I install older version which other people declare it works - in my case there is still no luck - VLC can't discover any shares from that network, even if PING works.
    On another hand, Network scanner app loosing contact with most of the normal LAN when zerotier is active.
    And actually I've tested that also with Tailscale - zerotier alternative, and had identical issue.
    So maybe my Samsung with Android 12 (or whatever) has that issue, but I'm really sure the there is something wrong with that.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

which one?

The port that directs the Wireguard connection. The one you configured in the tunnel using the plugin.

what software need to use on the android devices?

Wireguard for Android. Look it up on google play, you don't need anything else.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately - I just checked and my current provider uses CG-NAT and the one I'm planning move to also is using this, so this means I'm screwed

Depending on your ISP, you may or may not request it to remove you from CGNAT. In my country it is common for all ISPs to install an internet connection within CGNAT, but if you request it, all of them will take you out for free, so you would have a public IP. I also know that there are countries where ISPs charge money to do that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!