Connect to OMV with Windows 10 - Problem

• I've successfully finished installing and configuring OMV6, established RAID5, and created 2 shares using the "SMB/CIFS" service.

PROBLEM: I can see the OMV, named "MEDIACENTER", in file explorer in Win10 Pro under "Network". But when I click on it, I get a "Network Error" (see attached screenshot); Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

• Try to access shares and test creating and deleting folder using Linux Mint OS on laptop: result=SUCCESS. See attached screenshot of laptop system info;
    • Try to access shares and test creating and deleting folder using Win10 workstation: result=FAILED;
    • Disabled all Win10 Pro firewall services and tried again: result=FAILED;
    • Searched internet for help and found "HOWTO Connect Win10 to OMV.pdf". I have not used this yet because it seems to be based on much older version of OMV. see attached screenshot of workstation Win10 Pro system information including patching level.

REQUESTED HELP:

Please let me know if the attached PDF is a good reference to solve my problem. If not, please provide me with a solution.

Regards,

Rob

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • try using IP not hostname

did you create a user and give it the correct permissions? also on the samba side

SMB

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That PDF is indeed too old.

Obviously samba is configured correctly on your server, which is shown by the fact that it works correctly on Linux Mint. Then you have to look for the error in Windows.

The first thing I would do is try to access using the IP instead of the server name. This usually causes problems in Windows. It happens to me regularly (unfortunately I am forced to use Windows on my desktop for work reasons), one day the name works for me and the next day it doesn't. I gave up trying to fix it a long time ago.

Another possible error is if you already have a user with permissions to that share. You can check that by creating a new user in Windows, start a clean session with that user, and try to access the share. If there is no error, you already know what the problem is.

• The permissions= See attached for SMB and Storage Shared Folders. All permissions are good to go because they are equal to windows "everyone".

Many youtube content creators do this way and had success in the past. And like I said, permissions should not be a problem since I was successful in accessing, creating and deleting folders in the shares using my Linux Mint OS on a laptop. BTW thanks for the quick response.

• That PDF is indeed too old.

Obviously samba is configured correctly on your server, which is shown by the fact that it works correctly on Linux Mint. Then you have to look for the error in Windows.

The first thing I would do is try to access using the IP instead of the server name. This usually causes problems in Windows. It happens to me regularly (unfortunately I am forced to use Windows on my desktop for work reasons), one day the name works for me and the next day it doesn't. I gave up trying to fix it a long time ago.

Another possible error is if you already have a user with permissions to that share. You can check that by creating a new user in Windows, start a clean session with that user, and try to access the share. If there is no error, you already know what the problem is.

When you say, use the IP address, how do I go about doing that in Win10? I haven't done that before. An example text would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

• When you say, use the IP address, how do I go about doing that in Win10? I haven't done that before. An example text would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

are you trying to mount a drive on windows?

if so

its that easy

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

An example text would be great

Exact. What BlueCoffee has already explained to you.

Instead of accessing the server via:

\\MEDIACENTER

Try accessing using your server's IP address. If it were for example 192.168.1.50 you would have to write in your file explorer:

\\192.168.1.50

• Exact. What BlueCoffee has already explained to you.

Instead of accessing the server via:

\\MEDIACENTER

Try accessing using your server's IP address. If it were for example 192.168.1.50 you would have to write in your file explorer:

\\192.168.1.50

Yeah I got. It took me a moment to remember that was an option when mapping windows network drives.

Here's the solution that worked for me:

• edit "hosts" file located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc using admin privileges when opening notepad
    • add 10.x.x.x MEDIACENTER. Then save file
    • create user account on OMV
    • map network drive, see attached pic. //MEDIACENTER/videos
    • Login Window pops up. Enter user credentials that was created
    • SUCCESS!

Indeed, the IP address works just the same.

Everyone thanks for all of the help. Now on to the next thing: add plex server

• acuity2009

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

• Thanks. That worked great.

Glad its all working :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

edit "hosts" file located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc using admin privileges when opening notepad
    add 10.x.x.x MEDIACENTER. Then save file

This should not be necessary if the network name system works correctly. It's the first thing I told you and that's why I told you to use the IP address.

In any case, modifying the hosts file is a solution, but it is an uncomfortable solution and depending on the client it can be complicated or even impossible.

• Hi! I'm triying to build a NAS for my work and I having the same problem. I tried the "hosts" file edit with no succes.

I can connect with the NAS through my android phone with a file mannager and SMB protocol but I'm not being able to do it from my laptop even when I create a windows local user with the same credentials as in the NAS.
    Some more info:
    -I was able to ping my laptop and the NAS in both ways.

-I tried with a public shared folder with no succes.

-I can see the NAS name (and pc icon) in the "Network" part of the windows explorer but if I try to click it I get the 0x80070035 dialog that acuity2009 tells us in his #1 message.

-Using google for fix the 0x80070035 error i already tried the first 10 videos/options about this issue and nothing changed.

-If I try to map the drive usin NAS IP (or name) and the "other credentials" box checked I get promted 4 or 5 times for the credentials and then this this dialog appears:

image.png

My translation: "Can't create the network unity: The specified network name is no longer available."
    The same dialog appears if I use \\IP address\\Shared folder name.

-All my test are with the firewall deactivated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tried creating a new user in Windows and logging in as that user? Once in that user session you can try to connect to see what Windows says.

• Have you tried creating a new user in Windows and logging in as that user? Once in that user session you can try to connect to see what Windows says.

Do you mean an user with the same usarname and password as the user in NAS? Or just a random new user...

As I said, I login in my laptop with a local user using the same name and pasword as I created it in the NAS and there wasn't change.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you mean an user with the same usarname and password as the user in NAS? Or just a random new user...

A random user. The fact of starting a new session with another user is to remove the possible permissions and links already configured from the existing user from the problem. A new session with a new user should ask for any permissions from scratch.

If this works, it means that the problem is with the permissions that you already have established in the current session and that is what you should fix.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can connect with the NAS through my android phone with a file mannager and SMB protocol

This is showing that the problem is in Windows. The resource is correctly configured on the server or you would not be able to access it from any client. We already know that Windows is crap (en tu lengua y la mía diríamos una verdadera mierda ;) ) but we have no choice but to deal with this.

• This is showing that the problem is in Windows. The resource is correctly configured on the server or you would not be able to access it from any client. We already know that Windows is crap (en tu lengua y la mía diríamos una verdadera mierda ;) ) but we have no choice but to deal with this.

I'm not in the position to argue about this... I'm not even a begginer user of linux so windows is all that I know and yes, from this forums and others I know that the experts considered it as crap but is the "plebs SO" and the pleb has to work so... hahaha.

I tried your sugestion about a new user and the result is the same, keep geting the same error and dialog I posted on #12.

Although I tried in a pc from a work partner with and previous version of w10 and it works... I'm currently on the 22H2 and he is on 21H2. This is all of a problem because the idea is use the NAS in any PC or even, at some point, build a NAS for other persons and it can't depend on what version of SO they use...

some othe idea? I'm thinking to instal a VM with the 21H2 iso just to make a try but it looks like a big effort...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not in the position to argue about this... I'm not even a begginer user of linux so windows is all that I know and yes, from this forums and others I know that the experts considered it as crap but is the "plebs SO" and the pleb has to work so... hahaha.

Unfortunately I have to use it too ;( ^^

Although I tried in a pc from a work partner with and previous version of w10 and it works... I'm currently on the 22H2 and he is on 21H2

That is a problem, it is the first time I see this. But that's telling you that Windows version 22H2 has a problem. Lately I have seen several threads like this in the forum, maybe this is the reason. So I don't know how to fix it, I think you'll have to wait for Windows to fix it with its next update. Check if you have any Windows update pending installation, I can't tell you anything else. I'm sorry.

• I update for those who will come (I hope not) with some issue and will find that apparently there is not solution besides wait for microsoft/windows to fix it.

It seems to be that all the problems were my fault. I re-installed windows at 18th July and had a lot of troubles to get bluetooth working again, so I tried a bunch of solutions and installed several drivers to solve that. I guess that was the time that I broke up something related with the network card and then I was not able to connect with my NAS.

I decided to re-install windows one more time and now is all working, even in W10 Home 22H2, So I guess it was a matter of drivers conflict because I installed several of then.

• Good evening everyone, I have a similar problem, from windows I can no longer access folders on the network.

Let me explain better and I apologize if I'm missing something but I'm not practical at all and I'm trying to learn ...

When I go to the explorer > network, the main folder (CAMEA) appears as in the photo and I have to access all the subfolders there

Which I had previously programmed and which I haven't understood for a few days but it is not possible to access, as soon as I try to open and access the sub folders it asks me for a password, in principle I used the one set as root but nothing tells me that I cannot access, I created a user but nothing keeps asking me to enter the credentials to be able to access my network.....

buonasera a tutti io ho un problema simile, da windows non posso più accedere alle cartelle in rete.

M spiego meglio e chiedo scusa se mi perdo qualcosa ma non sono per nulla pratico e sto cercando di imparare...

Quando vado nella esplora risorse > rete appare come da foto la cartella principale ( CAMEA) e li dovei accedere a tutte le sottocartelle

Che avevo precedentemente programmato e che da qualche giorno non capisco ma non è possibile accedere, appena cerco di aprire ed accedere alle sotto cartelle mi chiede una password, in principio usavo quella impostata come root ma nulla mi dice che non posso accedere, ho creato un utente ma nulla continua a chiedermi di inserire le credenziali per poter accedere alla rete mia.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!