rclone/duplicati setup: what's easier?

• Hello. I've recently setup OMV as NAS on a Pi and am transferring my data from an old Synology NAS. On the old hardware I was using rclone to store encrypted copies of the SMB-shares to B2 as a simple backup solution. I'm struggling with setting up rclone on docker on OMV though, as I've never used docker before and I can't find a tutorial for openmediavault-compose (only for e.g. portainer) – so I'm now searching for easier solutions.

If the goal is a an easy setup of an encrypted replication pseudo-backup to the cloud, would you suggest do use duplicati instead? It seems there are more tutorials available, plus once installed it has a GUI. Also, can anyone suggest tutorials for openmediavault-compose? The official guide is okay, but even that fails to explain things like why there's a colon in some paths, what jellyfin is, how to move the docker folder to another drive (I boot OMV from the SD-card and have a SSD which I'd want to use for everything else), etc.

If I had a few days time to dive into the details of linux, docker, omv-compose etc. then I would probably figure out everything, but I currently have like 2 spare hours per week and I'd prefer not to struggle for the next two months until everything runs smoothly. So I'd prefer a solution as easy as possible. And if I can't find one, I might even use Arq on my Mac laptop to backup the SMB share to the cloud, but that's only an option if I fail at finding something that can run directly on OMV.

Thanks for your help!

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Why set up rclone as docker? I just installed it into the OMV operating system. You can go here and get a an install script https://rclone.org/install/

It is pretty easy to install. Yes it runs from the command line but honestly I was able to copy and paste the one command to install it. (

sudo -v ; curl https://rclone.org/install.sh | sudo bash) Once installed there is a bit of configuration that you have to do from the command line but again, it was easy. The configurator prompts you along the way. From the OMV interface, I just set up a rclone cron job to run nightly. (

rclone copy --create-empty-src-dirs /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxx/RSYNC/ myawsaccount:mybucketname Where RSYNC is the name of the share I wanted to copy to AWS ) my scheduling is 0 3 * * * so it runs at 3 am every night

I have never tried duplicati but rclone was easy enough for me to figure out and it has been flawless for me since.

• sorry if this is unnecessary, but these are my notes for installing rclone, exactly as I wrote them down. When I completed this project, my raspberry pi was my very first NAS and this was my first homelab project. So I didn't have a lot of experience under my belt. I was mostly going off of youtube videos.

Install Rclone to sync the data to AWS or other cloud

go to https://rclone.org/install/

Get the install script sudo -v ; curl https://rclone.org/install.sh | sudo bash

SSH into the Pi (log in as one of the users created earlier, admin won't work)

run the install script

run rclone congfig

follow prompts

n for new remote

assign a name to this new remote (myawsaccount)

Input user key (provided by AWS) and secret key when prompted (provided by AWS)

Use the default region and default endpoint

For storage class I chose Glacier instant retrieval, can be anything

no need to enter the name of the bucket at this point.

Can close SSH window and go back to OMV web interface

Inside of OMV, set up a scheduled task rclone copy --create-empty-src-dirs /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxx/RSYNC/ myawsaccount:mybucketname

where myawsaccount is whatever you named your remote in rclone config and mybucketname is the name of your target bucket on AWS S3

Make sure the scheduling is 0 3 * * * to do a backup to the cloud at 3AM every morning

This video from 45 drives is pretty good to guide you

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• I would love to see @votedev include rclone into the user interface in OMV 7 in a similar way that rsync is built in. THAT would be cool.

• Why set up rclone as docker? I just installed it into the OMV operating system. You can go here and get a an install script https://rclone.org/install/

Oh, that's how I am using it on my old Synology NAS, meaning I could transfer the config file and be more or less done. I didn't know that this option exists in OMV, I thought the operating system is so restricted and limited in comparison to a default linux distro that one needs to install stuff in docker.

@Louie1961 , how do you deal with upgrades of OMV? Or did you store the rclone binary plus all other necessary files on a second drive that won't be touched when the operating system is updated/upgraded?

Thanks for all your help. It's great to hear that there's an easier way than docker and composer.

• The upgrades have been seamless. I haven't had to reinstall rclone or do anything with regards to upgrades, they just proceed as normal. Perhaps when we get to OMV version 7 I might have to re-install rclone, but I am not 100% sure about that. OMV is really a graphical management interface on top of debian, so upgrades have not changed the underlying debian structure. Docker is an option for installing software, not a requirement. APT still exists and works in OMV. Said another way, each OMV upgrade (and they come daily sometimes) only modifies the OMV files for the most part and is not a complete re-install of the underlying OS. I may be oversimplifying it, but that is how it seems based on my experience anyway.

• Rclone ist Sync Tool and duplicati is a Backup and Restore Tool with a lot of options.

Duplicati has data deduplication, that saves a lot of space, backup plans, different retention times for multiple backups, encryption, …

For Backup and Restore I would recommend duplicati in a container.

• Rclone ist Sync Tool and duplicati is a Backup and Restore Tool with a lot of options.

Duplicati has data deduplication, that saves a lot of space, backup plans, different retention times for multiple backups, encryption, …

For Backup and Restore I would recommend duplicati in a container.

Thanks. I know that rclone isn't a complete backup solution, but as the files on my NAS are archived files that I don't really "need" anymore, they never change and all that's necessary is syncing them once to a cloud provider. Therefor currently the main question for me is the simplicity of install.

• The upgrades have been seamless. I haven't had to reinstall rclone or do anything with regards to upgrades, they just proceed as normal. Perhaps when we get to OMV version 7 I might have to re-install rclone, but I am not 100% sure about that.

That's great to hear. I'll attempt to do as you suggested.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!