OMV SMB servers no longer visible from MacOS. Cannot connect even with IP address

• I have been connecting from MacOS to OMV 6.x successfully on an Odroid HC1 and HC2 for months. I have two separate OMV servers that are fully up to date.

Since the release of MacOS 14 (currently updated to 14.1.1) I cannot see my OMV servers in my Network view, and cannot even connect to them from MacOS using their IP address.

I can connect to OMV from Windows, Linux, and even iPadOS without any issues.

I have tried many combinations of settings, including changing the SMB protocol version on OMV but I cannot get anything to work.

Help!

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I don’t have any issues with Samba and macOS 14.1. Could you describe how you connect to your server?

Hitting CMD + K and enter SMB://ipofserver and then putting in your credentials?

Do you see the samba share in the finder at all?

As other machines are finding the share and be able to access it without issues I do believe it is setup properly but we have to find out what you might changed for the access of your MacBook to the share

• No way of connecting to the server works!

Hitting CMD+K and entering either SMB://servername or SMB://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx results in "connecting to..." and then an error that there was a problem connecting.

The shares are not visible in Finder at all (they used to be).

• votdev Not a nightmare but sometimes things do not work due to old adjustments.

Francobritannique Did you ever touch the etc/nsmb.conf file on your Mac in the past?! If so, maybe copy its content, save it somewhere as a text file for later and then delete it. Reboot. Reconnect the samba shares.

macOS requires SMB 3 protocol strictly and if you changed that file in the past it might be the culprit.

• UPDATE: solved!

1. There was no nsmb.conf file in /etc and apparently it is a legacy thing and no longer present on recent MacOS

2. I wondered what would happen if I enabled file sharing on the Mac (which I have never done - this is to allow the Mac to share folders over SMB, not to act as a client).

3. Hey presto - it worked. I could once again see my shares (as long as I enable NETBIOS on OMV) and connect to them.

So my question is: was it luck that I was able to access my shares before without enabling file sharing on the Mac?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So my question is: was it luck that I was able to access my shares before without enabling file sharing on the Mac?

Since the issue was obviously related to the upgrade, it would be difficult to to even guess at what happened. For instance, (recently on the forum) Debian changed the SSH group from ssh (Debian11) to _ssh (Debian12). Why was that done? Who knows? But it threw a small wrench into OMV BETA testing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!