kvm snapshots with secure boot dont work

• when i try to make a snapshot with secure boot enabled , this don't work , i get the following error

500 - Internal Server Error

Unable to create snapshot - Operation not supported: internal snapshots of a VM with pflash based firmware are not supported

• ryecoaaron

Hat den Titel des Themas von „snapshots with secure boot dont work“ zu „kvm snapshots with secure boot dont work“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Fixed your title.

I thought I fixed this but I will have to look at it again.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I looked into this again and libvirt can only take snapshots of a VM with secure boot enabled if it is powered off. So, I could make it automatically power off the VM, take the snapshot, and power it back on. This is a pretty big change and I'm still thinking about whether I want to add it. It definitely won't be added to the OMV 6.x version of the plugin. If you want snapshots, please power off the VM and it will work.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• I looked into this again and libvirt can only take snapshots of a VM with secure boot enabled if it is powered off. So, I could make it automatically power off the VM, take the snapshot, and power it back on. This is a pretty big change and I'm still thinking about whether I want to add it. It definitely won't be added to the OMV 6.x version of the plugin. If you want snapshots, please power off the VM and it will work.

Nope this does not work

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope this does not work

I wouldn't have mentioned if I didn't test it. I'm a little mystified why it isn't working on your system. What is the complete error? cut&paste from the bell in the top right of the web interface.

• I wouldn't have mentioned if I didn't test it. I'm a little mystified why it isn't working on your system. What is the complete error? cut&paste from the bell in the top right of the web interface.

Unable to create snapshot - Operation not supported: internal snapshots of a VM with pflash based firmware are not supported

OMV\Exception: Unable to create snapshot - Operation not supported: internal snapshots of a VM with pflash based firmware are not supported in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/kvm.inc:1913

Stack trace:

#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceKvm->addSnapshot(Array, Array)

#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('addSnapshot', Array, Array)

#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Kvm', 'addSnapshot', Array, Array, 1)

#4 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably something windows related. Can you post the <os> element from the VM's XML? It should look something like this:

Code
    <os firmware='efi'>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-8.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader secure='yes'/>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    </os>

Not sure how I am going to test Windows VMs though...

• Probably something windows related. Can you post the <os> element from the VM's XML? It should look something like this:

Code
    <os firmware='efi'>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-8.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader secure='yes'/>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    </os>

Not sure how I am going to test Windows VMs though...

here it is

<os>

<type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-7.2'>hvm</type>

<loader readonly='yes' secure='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/OVMF/OVMF_CODE_4M.ms.fd</loader>

<nvram>/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/nvram/win11_VARS.fd</nvram>

<boot dev='hd'/>

<boot dev='cdrom'/>

</os>

• Offizieller Beitrag

Seems like pflash/nvram settings are not really needed anymore and since the kvm plugin moved to using virt-install to create the xml, those settings aren't being added. I need to do more investigation. It seems Windows doesn't like changing to the xml to the newer automatic firmware though.

• Seems like pflash/nvram settings are not really needed anymore and since the kvm plugin moved to using virt-install to create the xml, those settings aren't being added. I need to do more investigation. It seems Windows doesn't like changing to the xml to the newer automatic firmware though.

Hi thanks for all the info and update. Running into the same issue right now. What would be the best workaround right now, in order to use snapshots that can be easily switched between?

As a side-note: I have the vm drives on eiter btrfs or zfs. Perhaps i could work around this issue by placing the files of each volume into a separate subvolume/dataset and

just snapshot on a filesystem level?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!