Issues with Rsnapshot

• Hi,

I am having an issue with Rsnaspshot in which it is creating two copies of my data from my source drive (Sda)and filling up my backup drive (sdb). My Rsync destination directory structure looks like the following:

Rsync/root

This top level has a folder for each source directory I have backed up, they are generated automatically by Rsnapshot and these are the folders the initial backup uses, it also includes a separate weekly.0 backup within each folder. E.g., Rsync/Photoprism/Weekly.0

Rsync/weekly.0

Then after sometime, rsync generates a new weekly.0 folder with another full copy of my data, with the same sub-folders, e.g. Rsync/Weekly.0/Photoprism.

I am not sure what is going on here and no matter how often I delete either the weekly.0 or root folders, they regenerate and fill up my drive the next time Rsync runs. It means I can't have a full backup of my data locally. I just want one copy of my data backed up locally to this external drive.

What can I do to get around this?

Thank you for your help!

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Real paths, filesystem types, and plugin config are helpful here. Is the "internal ssd" also you OS drive?

rsync generates a new weekly.0 folder with another full copy of my dat

It is hard to know what you mean here without full paths.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the reply ryecoaaron, hopefully this additional information is useful, I added two screenshots to better illustrate the issue:

1. The absolute path for the external SSD source (/dev/mapper/sda-crypt) is /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-17696d4a-8dad-4239-bf4a-70f49b2ab751/PhotoPrismPhotos
    2. The internal drive target (/dev/mapper/sdb-crypt) is /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-a914a7e5-3822-4cdb-a5e8-e8c7e3d13883/Rsync, so I have set the plugin to directly backup from the source to the target at its root level, e.g, sdb-crypt/Rsync, rather than a sub directory like, sdb-crypt/Rsync/weekly.0
    3. Both drives are formatted as ext4 and encrypted, I am running OMV 6.9.8.-1.
    4. I have setup each rsnapshot job to retain 1 weekly job in the plugin settings and have rsync set to 3 retries.

Also, I initially stated that my external drive was used for backup but I actually have my internal drive acting as a backup of an external drive, made the change last month and managed to forget in my post.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have setup each rsnapshot job to retain 1 weekly job in the plugin settings and have rsync set to 3 retries.

Can you post the rsnapshot job config? Having it do one job is a bit weird and something I don't test since the it is designed to run hourly all the time.

If you are only keeping one backup, is there a reason you don't just use rsync? rsnapshot is doing an rsync at that point.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

• Can you post the rsnapshot job config? Having it do one job is a bit weird and something I don't test since the it is designed to run hourly all the time.

If you are only keeping one backup, is there a reason you don't just use rsync? rsnapshot is doing an rsync at that point.

Thanks for all the replies on this.

Here is a screenshot of my config, hopefully this is what you meant.

I went for rsnapshot as it seemed to be recommended over rsync on a few forums but perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of rsnapshot. I believed it functioned in a similar way to Rsync but added de-duplication. My intention was to have a single weekly backup of my server that would be checked once per week and only add new files, and thus avoiding unnecessary writes to my drive. I think rsync by default simply makes another full copy each time? Which seems to be the issue I am seeing with rsnapshot as well.

I have a remote Borg backup running so don't need constant regular backups but just something mostly up to date that I can restore from easily if my server goes down/ in the case my off-site server goes down.

• Offizieller Beitrag

rsnapshot dedupes when you have more than one backup by using hard links. rsnapshot always uses rsync. So, one backup like you have it setup is literally the same as rsync. You should just use rsync based on your settings.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!