OMV works fine but randomly halts and requires restart daily?

• I've been running OMV for almost a year now and been super happy with it. Incredibly reliable and has done everything I need it to.

However, I recently moved. I ran omv-firstaid and fixed all the network interfaces and everything was working again no problem. But ever since then, it will work perfectly fine for 16-20 hours then it will randomly start rejecting requests on all my docker containers and I'm unable to SSH directly into the server either. If I hard reset the server by holding the power on it and then reboot it, it boots perfectly fine again and it will work for another 16-20 hours. I've set my router ip for the server to be static, and static via omv-firstaid as well. I've tried looking through the logs but can't really see anything of use. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

sounds like the SD card is going bad.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

but I don't think this is it. I'm not using an SD card, I've got it on an NVME.

Just a guess since I didn't know what hardware you are using (most OMV users are using an RPi or other sbc running from sd card) and don't have any real error messages.

nvme can go bad though. In this case, if it is x86, I would run memtest on it and make sure the cpu temps aren't getting too high.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Just a guess since I didn't know what hardware you are using (most OMV users are using an RPi or other sbc running from sd card) and don't have any real error messages.

nvme can go bad though. In this case, if it is x86, I would run memtest on it and make sure the cpu temps aren't getting too high.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm very confident it's unrelated to hardware. All of the hardware was basically brand new when I started using OMV, and has been reliable for 8+ months of using OMV without even a slight hiccup or issue. It's only since I moved into my new place and ran omv-firstaid that this has started happening. The hardware stays on/powered, just if I try connect through any device it will refuse to connect to even the OMV login/dashboard and my browser eventually will timeout saying it can't connect. If I try directly SSH I get a similar timeout message.

It's all very confusing to me, since like I said when this happens if I just turn it off manually and turn it on again, it instantly starts working again and I can even do fairly intense tasks like transcode 4k without much issue, but if I then go to sleep and wake up the next day, it will require a restart again before anything will work including stuff like direct SSH access.

It kinda seems to me like maybe the network is somehow timing out on the server/omv, and requires a restart in order to reinitialize itself again or something. But that doesn't make much sense to me because I'm using the same eth cable and network card and even router that I was using in my previous place with no issues. I've manually confirmed all the static info in both my router and OMV, so at this point I'm a bit lost at what else to try.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm very confident it's unrelated to hardware. All of the hardware was basically brand new when I started using OMV, and has been reliable for 8+ months of using OMV without even a slight hiccup or issue.

That doesn't mean anything. I have seen brand new servers have issues. I have seen servers run for 8 months perfectly and then lose a dimm. I would recommend plugging in a monitor to see if there is anything on the console when it is unresponsive on the network.

• MemTest finished, no errors. I also updated bios, did full apt-update/upgrade, updated my router firmware, swapped out server ssd for another ssd with a different linux ISO on it, works perfectly fine. Also swapped out components like CPU and cooler to another system completely and they work fine there, so I'm VERY confident this issue is with the software side of OMV. The only thing that has actually changed is my ISP provider, but even my router is the same and as stated, after a hard restart has happened on the server, everything starts to work perfect and exactly as it should, until it happens again...

As stated in the OP, this has started randomly. Prior to moving to my new place a few weeks ago, the server was running non stop with 0 issues and had basically 0 down time besides a scheduled task to restart once weekly. Now that I've moved, literally all i did was shutdown server, move to new place, plug server into wall, connect ethernet and run omv firstaid and omv update and the issue started happening.

Oddly enough, I notice the network hang seems to always start around exactly 3am my time. Even if i restart the server at 2am fully, it will still hang as soon as it reaches 3am.

I've dug through all logs provided in the OMV admin panel, and I can find nothing relating to this. The logs will literally just stop at 3am and the start again once I hard restart the server from power. But once that happens, it all works fine again until 3am the next day.

Pure speculation, but given I did updates after omv-firstaid when moving in, I'm thinking I've pulled in an omv update that has corrupted or broken something since like I said, before then, it worked for like 9 months almost 24/7 basically with no issues, and as has already been described, I'm very confident it is not hardware related. I've run a huge amount of testing, and especially with swapping to another linux sdd and not having this 3am issue, that leads me to believe this HAS to be a OMV software issue.

Maybe the "brand new" is the problem?

And for any hardware issue, I like inxi.

Code
    sudo apt install inxi
    inxi -Fz

please show us the output of the last command

It isn't "brand new". It was brand new when I bought it, but it was operating perfectly for 9+ months since then. Also based on the tests I've conducted as mentioned in my other reply, this leads me to be very confident it is not hardware related.

• Offizieller Beitrag

leads me to believe this HAS to be a OMV software issue.

You realize that OMV itself isn't doing anything when you aren't logged into the web interface?

Your testing still has holes in it.

The memory sticks are probably ok after testing with memtest. But booting a Linux iso from another ssd (or whatever) is most likely going to keep everything in memory and not do much disk access. So, that isn't testing the media or sata ports.

You also aren't running any services on that iso. It is very possible that a service is segfaulting after an update (not caused by OMV but a Debian update) and/or the combination of services is causing the system to run out of memory (an update could have a memory leak) or the kernel you are using is segfaulting.

So, I will say again that you need to plugin a monitor in to see any message on the screen. We will never know why it is happening if you don't do that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!