Replace existing disks with bigger ones

• Hi,

I'm using 4 hard disks of the same size each in a software RAID5 setup (ext4), running on OMV6. So far so good.

Since free space is decreasing, I'm wondering if I could replace all the disks (one by one) with bigger ones without loosing the existing RAID setup. The goal is to have bigger RAID volumes without much hassle.

I can't juggle much because the server supports only those 4 HDDs (it's an HP ProLiant MicroServer), so not possible to have 8 disks attached at the same time.

I have replaced faulty disks in the past successfully but new disks were same brand, model and size than original ones.

Thanks

• crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • If these were individual unrelated disks (not in a RAID) I would say what you want to do is absolutely possible as I have been doing this since starting with OMV more than eight years ago. But I can not state that RAID disks will have the same possibility, as I don't use RAID here.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm wondering if I could replace all the disks (one by one) with bigger ones without loosing the existing RAID setup

Technically yes, there are two caveats;

1) The array could fail whilst one of the drives is being synced/rebuilt into the existing array

2) Once the new larger drives are deployed in the array you will have to 'grow' the array from the cli to 'expand' the array to it's new size

Growing the array's file system can be done in the GUI

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!