Compose plugin for bakups only

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could it be that docker locks that and the compose plugin/rsync copies the permissions as is already locked in the backup folder

docker should not be locking files when the container is stopped.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I mght have found that but srill testing. In Compose->settinfs-> compose folder i got only administrators permission enabled. Aafter allowed useres to read and recreated the backup folder. Seems like it is ok now

• After the docker backup last night my user is again restricted to access only the folder "0" of each container being backed up.

I thought i found it but ended up i was wrong. Do you have an idea what i could try to inspect further?

Would the compose folder owners and permissions will be set the same to the backup folder as well? It happens that i have to modify the permissions of the backup folder with "reset permissions" plugin after each backup process

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would the compose folder owners and permissions will be set the same to the backup folder as well? It happens that i have to modify the permissions of the backup folder with "reset permissions" plugin after each backup process

The backup is setting the backup files to the same permissions as the container files. If you want the backup file permissions to change, the container files need to change.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.1

• This is what i thought. Here is what i set in Compose->Settings

Would this be enough to set the file/folder permissions of compose folder/files accordingly?

I kept the owner as root but allowed Read access to user group

A have additional ACL set for compose folders as follows

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is what i thought. Here is what i set in Compose->Settings

Would this be enough to set the file/folder permissions of compose folder/files accordingly?

I kept the owner as root but allowed Read access to user group

A have additional ACL set for compose folders as follows

I think what is failing was already told to you by Ryecoaaron in the previous post. Each container creates persistent files with different permissions, specifically the permissions of the user running each container, and the way each container sets those permissions. It may happen that a container is writing configuration files with certain permissions, for example Nextcloud or many other cases come to mind. If you modify these permissions, the container will probably stop working correctly. So in my opinion the only way to manage that data safely is through the root user. If you modify the permissions of these files to manage them with a different user, you could break the containers.

• I think what is failing was already told to you by Ryecoaaron in the previous post. Each container creates persistent files with different permissions, specifically the permissions of the user running each container, and the way each container sets those permissions. It may happen that a container is writing configuration files with certain permissions, for example Nextcloud or many other cases come to mind. If you modify these permissions, the container will probably stop working correctly. So in my opinion the only way to manage that data safely is through the root user. If you modify the permissions of these files to manage them with a different user, you could break the containers.

The problem is not with the folder where the persistant data is located. It is the folder where the yaml and env files are located which i thought are created by the compose plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem is not with the folder where the persistant data is located. It is the folder where the yaml and env files are located which i thought are created by the compose plugin.

It didn't seem like that when skimming the thread, but I didn't read in depth. In any case, these files are created by the plugin. The permissions you set in the plugin's settings tab in the Shared folder field of the Compose Files section are the permissions those files should have.

These files are only backup copies that you should not modify manually, the modifications must be made in the GUI, but if those files are the ones you want to manage you can set the permissions in that tab.

Just as you did in post #26, the owner group is "root", so no user will be able to access it. If you want a user to be able to read and write those files, you must establish, for example, the owner group "users" and include the user with whom you want to access in the group "users", and also grant read and write permissions to the owner group.

• It didn't seem like that when skimming the thread, but I didn't read in depth. In any case, these files are created by the plugin. The permissions you set in the plugin's settings tab in the Shared folder field of the Compose Files section are the permissions those files should have.

These files are only backup copies that you should not modify manually, the modifications must be made in the GUI, but if those files are the ones you want to manage you can set the permissions in that tab.

Just as you did in post #26, the owner group is "root", so no user will be able to access it. If you want a user to be able to read and write those files, you must establish, for example, the owner group "users" and include the user with whom you want to access in the group "users", and also grant read and write permissions to the owner group.

Spot on. I was just experimenting with that and ended up keeping "root" as owner but set the group to "users" and it work out. I do have one user with a read only permissions cause i do not want to modify yaml and env. Just copy them

Thanks

• Hello ryecoaaron,

There was a discussion in progress related to the backup/restore capabilities of the compose plugin. We reached a point where your comment is required to some of my questions. Could you please throw a short read over when you find time. Will appreciate it a lot

• Offizieller Beitrag

There was a discussion in progress related to the backup/restore capabilities of the compose plugin. We reached a point where your comment is required to some of my questions. Could you please throw a short read over when you find time. Will appreciate it a lot

Which questions? I didn't see anything left open.

• Exactly. If you also try to import an existing compose file it would not show up in the compose gui eather. This is probably because of the same root cause

Here is the test once again wrapped up:

Zitat

1. Created a compose file it the gui

2. Make sure the folder named as the name of the container is created and the corresponding compose and environment files are inside

3. Restore the omv system to an older version which does not have that container in the gui. But the container is physicaly available in the compose folder and in the backup folder as well

4. Tried Restore but as we both saw it neither restores to a previous version nor re-creates the missing container in the gui. The restoration proces however physicaly seems to copy the files from the backup folder to the compose folder. It is just the gui being not refreshed. Whith the caviat that if a compose file with the same name does not already exist in the compose folder, then the restore proces fails.

5. Tried importing the missing container directly from the compose folder where we have the folder layout as up to the requirements. The result is again: no new container becomes available in the gui.

the entire discussion was about restoring and importing a containers to a restored system image

My observations were confirmed by Chente

• Offizieller Beitrag

The restore process doesn't make any database changes. If you want the restore yml file changes in the database, I would recommend using the "Sync changes from file" from the Files tab. This will put the changes in the yml files in the database.

• The restore process doesn't make any database changes. If you want the restore yml file changes in the database, I would recommend using the "Sync changes from file" from the Files tab. This will put the changes in the yml files in the database.

I saw this option available but was not sure how it actually works. Could you give a short explanation what exactly will be copied and where. Also if a compose file does not exist in the gui but are available in the compose/backup folder what should i do in order to get it available in the gui as well

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could you give a short explanation what exactly will be copied and where.

You select the File that you want to sync the database from the compose file on the filesystem. That's it. It is syncing from the same place that the plugin writes to.

Also if a compose file does not exist in the gui but are available in the compose/backup folder what should i do in order to get it available in the gui as well

Use the Import feature on the Files tab. It will import anything it finds that is not already in the database.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is the importing expected to create the corresponding compose file in the database ?

Yes. Its only function is to read compose files that do not exist in the database already and put them in the database.

• Yes. Its only function is to read compose files that do not exist in the database already and put them in the database.

This is not what i see. In my compose folder I do have a folder named filebrowser which has filebrowser.yml and filebrowser.env . Whar i point the folder filebrowser in the import browsing window, the import seem to complete successfuly. No error message appear however i can not see a new filebrowser entry in the gui. Tested a few times

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!