Stuck in GRUB when no keyboard attached

• Dear all,

Since I had set up my OMV NAS, I made it to start nextcloud and latly I tried around with Jellyfin, both in Docker. All worked well, until last week when it stocked in login-loop - why, I don''t know.

Since I didn't see any full disk (system around40% full, looked via putty) I used omv-upgrade in putty and so on, since I thought (in my silly mind), it just update within OMV 6. Didn't had 7 in mind. Luckily all went good, and after some minutes all had been installed, and all work as before, but with OMV 7, what I figured out then. But okay.

But then: I restarted, to end updates as recommended from system.

After that, the system didn't respond via IP, didn't answer. After a while without any response, I connected monitor to it and saw, it stuck in GRUB window, waiting to select Debian. So I attached the keyboard and selected, all good, started. Then I tried again a restart, and with attached keyboard, it restarted without stuck. perfect. All disconnected, and tata it stuck again in GRUB, grr.

What I tried: update GRUB, Look for Keyboard error hold in BIOS (non). I also discounted internal 2nd from 2 SSD (without the OS) and did again OMV-upgrade. I had in mind that there was some issue when install with two drives contacted. But it also didn't work out.

So that's my question: What do I need to do to let the system boot again without the keyboard.

What information do you need?

Kind regards and many Thanks for that lovely OMV <3

Leon

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Upgrading something that isn't working.. is generally about the worst idea you could possibly come up with, unless you've confirmed the upgrade is meant to fix the issue you're having... (at which point it's probably going to be a point release, as opposed to a full version release)

• Upgrading something that isn't working.. is generally about the worst idea you could possibly come up with, unless you've confirmed the upgrade is meant to fix the issue you're having... (at which point it's probably going to be a point release, as opposed to a full version release)

Yeah, I know. I was in home office, not fully concentrated on it, and thought, something like, I'm already in putty, i can do maintenance and look later for issue again. Bad Idea or not thought about it to much :( I know, angry about myself, never touch a running system...

• Yeah, I'm usually quiet careful or try to unterstand what happend. I'm glade that I made it so far with learning and step by step (I studied history :D) But that time I hadn't much luck or brain. I know that I'm asking now for support for a silly move I did :(

• Dear all,

I looked today some closer to grub

Is it okay what we can see in attached photo? Or is here one system to much set up?

Basically there should only be OMV on the m80q. is that something from the upgrade to 7?

Also I tried to see in grub if the correct drive is selected, seems to be:

Code
    /dev/nvme0n1p2

Well I guess next step is to do all new, what took me about 6 month of work :( Or i constantly let a keyboard connected, what I don't like... And I will always have the feeling of a false working system :(

Another think: the original issue was the login-loop. I guessed the drives are not completely full. Or does the container overlay count towards fill status?

I don't know. Damn.

Sorry for asking!

Leon

• So, I tried clean install of 7.0.32. -> stuck in grub without keyboard

clean install of 6.5.0 -> not stuck in grub

Firmware update (Lenovo m80q) -> no improvement.

Sadly, as far as I read, I can't return to 6 from 7. Thus I need to reinstall everything and then with 150 GB for OMV+Docker or are there other suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That really doesn't make sense.. Did you disconnect your other drives when you were installing?

• There's GRUB options for booting directly, 0x80 style. You don't have to have a boot menu, just a boot loader.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's GRUB options for booting directly, 0x80 style. You don't have to have a boot menu, just a boot loader.

While true.. I'm pretty sure by default (at least on all my Linux only systems).. Grub show's it's menu.. and to do otherwise requires manual changes to grub.

• GRUB shows menu OTB here.

I now installed omv 6 and 7 on different ssds, so I can change them better to find a solution.

Those GRUB menus are on screen, when I don't attach the Keyboard:

With OMV 6 booting without keyboard:

With OMV 7 stuck in GRUB.

When I have keyboard in, both show a a last line with second count for selected os. Without not.

But I guess, this is, since it not showing much, not helping...

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I have keyboard in, both show a a last line with second count for selected os. Without not.

But I guess, this is, since it not showing much, not helping...

NOW>> I understand.

Look in your BIOS (especially some that are a little older)

and look for a "halt on error" or "halt on keyboard error".. some older BIOS (my old server was like that).. if this option was set to enable, the machine would not boot w/o a keyboard. Disabled, it booted fine.

• Hey you both,

I looked into the UEFI, and there is no such entry, but I saw that secure boot is disabled.

I also tried the link above and added via nano under

/etc/default/grub:

Code
    GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=2

no efect.

Then I opened /etc/grub.d/00_header , but there is recordfail already set to 1.

Edit: I filled in:

Code
    ##if [ \${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
    ##  set timeout=-1
    ##else  set timeout=${2}
    ##fi

Also didn't work out.

hmmm

• Hi again,

What I don't understand: GRUB is something that is working before any OS ist started, how is it possible that the OS is having an effect on GRUB? If the OS has no effect on GRUB after installation, it must happend while installing or in the install configuration, or? And if so, can I change GRUB data in debian before installing it? But I don't know against what else :)

Maybe its easier to install OMV 6 in the end. Hopefully this will be fixed than, when support for 6 is ending in the future.

Best

• Dear all,

What i figured out lately is that the same ssd with the upgraded omv 7, is working on a older m920q with an Legacy BIOS and a I7 9700T without any stuck in GRUB.

Also I figured out, that in my m70q (sorry, mixed the numbers) that stuck is happening not surprisingly also on Debian 12, when directly install.

We tried some more hints, but nothing helped.

• There has to be a definitive answer on this and I'm sure it will be found with GRUB. However, there is "ELILO", a UEFI compatible version of LILO. I've never used it but I hear it still boots to that red screen.

• Hey Thank you for your input! Brought me an idea!

I installed refind and, its working: headless booting in OMV 7 :)

Thus it is a issue with GRUB, that is not working with UEFI from Lenovo, since I read some more persons with similar issues with other distributions. As far as i can guess.

I will disable GRUB. Will that be a problem for future updates of OMV?

I don't know if we set this thread to "solved", sine its only a work around, but not cleared the issue.

Thank you again for all the help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!