Cannot see NFS shares on Proxmox

• Hi all. I upgraded my OMV instance to 7. It is a celeron 5040 16GB RAM with 2 raid1 arrays. All went well. Raid arrays re-mounted just fine. I am in process of re-sharing folders on SMB. Those already re configured work fine. I do have a problem with NFS shares however. I have 3 shared folders normally available through NFS where my Proxmox VE server stores (more accurately, used to store) VM backups. I deleted one from Proxmox to recreate it (it could not connect in the first place). When I configure the nfs folder in Proxmox, it cannot see exported shares from OMV. Two screen shots are attached showing my OMV configuration and the Proxmox issue. Insights are welcome. If that involves navigating the file system, please be specific. I dont usually navigate through the CLI.

Thank you in advance! LD

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Maybe in the 2hrs that have elapsed since you posted this message you actually worked how to press the help button on the Proxmox dialogue and sorted the problem your self.

If you haven't managed that, select the NFS version in Proxmox that matches the version being exported by OMV and perhaps you'll the OMV export will be selectable in Proxmox.

• OK, here's a start to resloving your issue.

Pressing ?help on Proxmox dialog leds to this:

Proxmox VE Administration Guide

7.6.3. Examples

You can get a list of exported NFS shares with:

Code
    # pvesm nfsscan <server>

Use the Proxmox shell to check if OMV shares are visible to Proxmox. If they are not visible is the network mis-configured, or is the problem with OMV? Can Proxmox and OMV ping one another?

In the OMV shell check output of cat /etc/exports

• It is unlikely to be a network config issue. Both machines are on the same subnet.

PVE can't see the export shares. Result on PVE:

command '/sbin/showmount --no-headers --exports 172.16.99.6' failed: exit code 1

On OMV, cat /etc/exports result yields two lines:

/export/Daily_VM_Backup 172.16.99.0/24(fsid =<a lond string>,rw,subtree_check,insecure)

/export (172.16.99.0/24(ro,fsid =0,root_squash,no_subtree_check)

I am very tempted to go into nano and delete that second line in export.Just not confident enough.

• /export (172.16.99.0/24(ro,fsid =0,root_squash,no_subtree_check) in /etc/exports

There should be no left bracket between the "t" of export and 172...... Is that really present?

Just to test the OMV WebUI action, change the NFS export via the WEBUI by adding no_root_squash to the NFS share options and save & apply. Then re-check the output of cat /etc/exports/ again.

• My bad. Added the extra bracket while copying.

I cannot add a no_root_squash to the NFS export in the GUI:

500 - Internal Server Error

extraoptions: The value ' no_root_squash,subtree_check,insecure' doesn't match the pattern '^(([a-zA-Z_]+)(=([\w@:\/]+))?[,])*([a-zA-Z_]+)(=([\w@:\/]+))?$' (code=0).

• All of the above made no real sense to me. It used to work in 6.x. I proceeded to remove the NFS shares, disable the NFS service, remove the shared folders. Checked that fstab and exports were clean of any reference to the nfs shared folders.

Then, I added again one shared folder, saved the changes. Referenced the shared folder in NFS(re-activated it also, of course). Saved changes.

Still, I was unable to mount the share in Proxmox. So I tried the old Windows troubleshooting trick: I rebooted OMV.

Well, it now worked. I was able to mount the nfs shares on Proxmox, just as it should be. Applied the recipe to the other two nfs shares. All is good. Problem solved.

Krisbee: Thank you for spending the time to help me. Much appreciated.

• louisd

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • @lousid If you're upgrade was from OMV6 to OMV7, then maybe there was just a glitch in your case. A few blips on the process of going from OMV6 to OMv7 have been reported and I guess there could be a few more now OMV7 has officially been released and more people upgrade.

• It was an OMV6 to OMV7 upgrade. Everything else went well. And while a bit puzzling, this issue was nothing major either in my case. I delayed the daily backups by 2 days. That's all. It was also an opportunity to learn a few things along the way. I don't use the CLI much, and I am still missing some basic reflexes on Linux. But I am now moving things gradually from Windows to Linux. Proxmox replaced Hyper-V and Debian (or Mint) with Cinnamon is replacing Windows 10 on older hardware where I don't have a requirement to keep Windows.

Bottom line: all is good and thank you again for the help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!