sharerootfs - "WARNING: No root filesystem has been found."

• Hi all,

I have stumbled on an error which seems to exists already for a while as i could find several artifacts online. Unfortunately no thread comes with a solution that also works for me.

I think the closest thread is this here in the proxmox forum: VM mit OMV erstellt wie den Ordnerm mit Dateien in einen LXC mounten

Issue:

I have a a proxmox host (newest release) and installed OMV (newest release) against the standard practice in an LXC following a couple for recommendations for performance reasons.

Installation and access to OMV works fine, however bringing the datapools to OMV does not work. I cannot create shares based on root file system (here mounted drives)

Storage concept:

• ZFS pool named "NAS"
    • ZFS datasets eg. NAS/Dataset1, NAS/Dataset2 etc.
    • Datasets are bind-mounted to the LXC container by adjusting the configuration of the LXC container on the host ... /container-id/container-id.conf. (mp0:/mount/point/on/host,mp=/mount/point/on/lxc) That works as expected until here
    • OMV to use local filesystem (here /mount/point/on/lxc or in my case mnt/dataset1) to create shares on

My idea here is basically

• to have the ZFS pool and the data access able for OMV and/or other containers plus the host without having a need to re-share from OVM
    • to reduce the overhead of having OMV creating its own file system on top of the already created zfs file system

Followed some tutorials, i have the following configuration:

• LXC is privileged, nesting is on
    • OMV is installed via script for manual installations on top of debian 11
    • Plugin "sharerootfs" is assumed to be installed - however here things start to fail

What i have tried/observed:

• The plugin seems to not get installed, neither via gui nor via apt package manager. The apt installations runs without any error message, the OMV gui at least reports back  WARNING: No root filesystem has been found. before confirming with "finish".
    • However, i was looking for the configuration file "sharerootfs.inc" here /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharerootfs and elsewhere and cannot find it. Its seems the plugin simply not install.

Hope i have provided enough information to get some guidance get some help here.

PS: I mas open to alternatives. Alternatives to my understanding might be:

• using remote plugin to use an NFS share to create OMV shares on. However it would require the host to have an NFS server running - not very clean
    • using a VM instead of a LXC (eventually accepting performance caveats) using bind mounts to containers?

Many thanks for your support here :)

Regards

Piatho

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The message is logged when the plugin can not detect a root file system during the installation. You'll find the code here. The script is simply searching for the mount entry for / in the fstab file. If you find a solution to improve the detection please contribute it to the community, so they can participaty from that.

• Thanks votdev. I think that brings me one step further. Using bind-mounts in the proxmox container config are an alternative way of using fstab. fstab in the container is not maitained. Thus its clear that the code fails to find a file system

I am not an expert, but cant you use cat /proc/mounts or mount to find the mounts too?

• (edit 12/04/23 : have changed mounting by adding the filesystem type)

To test a few scenarios, i have tried multiple ways of providing information in fstab:

Scenario 1: FSTAB:

/mnt/Nextcloud /mnt/Data zfs defaults 0 1

This does not help, since although salt-call --local --retcode-passthrough --no-color --out=json mount.fstab gives a good lookin output

I checked with salt-call --local --retcode-passthrough --no-color \--out=json mount.fstab | \jq --compact-output '.[] | .["/"]'

which gives me a "null" output.Changing the FSTAB by adding

/mnt/Nextcloud / zfs defaults 0 1 does work a bit better, installation is not stopping at filesystem but stopping somewhere else:

• Did something came out of this?

I was looking into using PvE as my btrfs storage manager, and mount the files directly into several LXC to be able to use it there and was hoping to use lxc OMV to share the content over smb and nfs...

I do have OMV running on a debian11 LXC but not able to use /mnt/brtfsnvme as a shared folder it seems it always needs a filesystem...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did something came out of this?

I was looking into using PvE as my btrfs storage manager, and mount the files directly into several LXC to be able to use it there and was hoping to use lxc OMV to share the content over smb and nfs...

I do have OMV running on a debian11 LXC but not able to use /mnt/brtfsnvme as a shared folder it seems it always needs a filesystem...

OMV does not run correctly in an LXC container. You can search for information about this on the forum.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!