PVE Kernel removed going from 6 to 7 and can't reinstall

• marc_al

I just seen the output for OMV6. After a pve kernel is installed in OMv6 there is no reason to keep debian kernels on the same system. The whole point is to avoid potential problems with dkms building zfs modules. Installing a pve kernel removes debian zfs packages and replaces then with its own, along with pve firmware, etc. Once you move to a pve kernel, there is no mechanism to downgrade ( see: .https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/50865-stock-kernel-with-zfs/&postID=377386#post377386 )

In order to clean up your OMV6, do the following:

1. remove all "non-proxmox" kernels via the WebUI "System | Kernel" tab.

2. check dkms status, there should be no entries for zfs 2.1.11. If any remain, remove them with "dkms remove zfs/2.1.11 --all"

3. If necessary, remove " veeamsnap, 6.1.0.1498, 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64" from dkms.

Your dpkg outputs show you have unnecessary packages and/or config files ( indicated by "rc" in first column) cluttering your system and you should remove these. You can purge all the old pve kernel config files left behind when old pve kernel packages have been removed, e.g:

4. apt purge pve-kernel-5.15.12-1-pve pve-kernel-5.15.17-1-pve ...

5. Using apt autoremove will show you which other packages can be removed. Just doublecheck the list before accepting.

You can re-post your outputs after this

• plugin openmediavault-zfs require zfs-dkms this is the problem, to this is why happens to have installed the dkms modules.

Not true in all cases. I ask again that your refrain for posting in this thread at the moment. We're not discussing how/why the OP's OMV6 arrived at its current state, but how to clean it up prior to a possible upgrade. Please start a new thread to discuss such issues if you wish.

• Not true in all cases. I ask again that your refrain for posting in this thread at the moment. We're not discussing how/why the OP's OMV6 arrived at its current state, but how to clean it up prior to a possible upgrade. Please start a new thread to discuss such issues if you wish.

right just tested, but why then got installed during the upgrade the zfs-dfkms?
    i'm just trying to understand since i have the same configuration of him and i also want to have a clean upgrade path so please be kind

• right just tested, but why then got installed during the upgrade the zfs-dfkms?
    i'm just trying to understand since i have the same configuration of him and i also want to have a clean upgrade path so please be kind

As stated elsewhere the problem seems to be in the omv-release-upgrade script and the interaction with the kernel/zfs plugins. This is for votdev and/or @ryecoarran to look at.

• Hello,

Thanks for the help. Here is what I have now

Code
    uname -a
    Linux openmediavault 5.15.143-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.143-1 (2024-02-08T18:12Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code
    zfs -V
    zfs-2.1.14-pve1
    zfs-kmod-2.1.14-pve1

Code
    sudo dkms status
    veeamsnap, 6.1.0.1498, 5.15.143-1-pve, x86_64: installed

Code
    dpkg -l | grep zfs
    ii  libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-zfs    8.0.0-1~bpo11+1                             amd64        Virtualization daemon ZFS storage driver
    rc  libzfs2                              0.6.5.7-8-wheezy                            amd64        Native ZFS filesystem library for Linux
    ii  libzfs4linux                         2.1.14-pve1                                 amd64        OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux - general support
    ii  openmediavault-zfs                   6.0.14                                      amd64        OpenMediaVault plugin for ZFS
    rc  zfs-auto-snapshot                    1.2.4-2                                     all          ZFS automatic snapshot service
    ii  zfs-dkms                             2.1.11-1~bpo11+1                            all          OpenZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux
    ii  zfs-zed                              2.1.14-pve1                                 amd64        OpenZFS Event Daemon
    rc  zfsutils                             0.6.5.7-8-wheezy                            amd64        command-line tools to manage ZFS filesystems
    ii  zfsutils-linux                       2.1.14-pve1                                 amd64        command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems

Code
    ls -l /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    total 32
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  115 Dec 31 06:48 omvdocker.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  141 Dec 31 06:48 omvextras.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  150 Aug  8  2023 openmediavault-kernel-backports.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   60 Jun  8  2023 openmediavault-local.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  336 Mar 13 08:46 openmediavault-os-security.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1462 Jun  8  2023 openmediavault.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  144 Mar 13 10:14 pvekernel.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   96 Jun  8  2023 veeam.list
  • marc_al OK, the clutter has mostly gone. You don't need any package that refers to wheezy left on your system, or that has bpo10 in the name. Nor do you need zfs-dkms 2.1.11. But removing it may also remove openmediavault-zfs, which means just installing it again afterwards. Just check this leaves you with correct zfs packages on OMV6..

• Hey Kriss, it this otput OK for a ZFS updated OMV:

• marc_al OK, the clutter has mostly gone. You don't need any package that refers to wheezy left on your system, or that has bpo10 in the name. Nor do you need zfs-dkms 2.1.11. But removing it may also remove openmediavault-zfs, which means just installing it again afterwards. Just check this leaves you with correct zfs packages on OMV6..

Just a FYI (in case you forgot)

Adding --dry-run to any apt command will simulate the outcome.

That way is easy to see if it will damage any thing

• Just a FYI (in case you forgot)

Adding --dry-run to any apt command will simulate the outcome.

That way is easy to see if it will damage any thing

Thank you for the information.

What would be great is to have snapshots of the omv drive so if something goes wrong there is no need to restore a backup

• What would be great is to have snapshots of the omv drive so if something goes wrong there is no need to restore a backup

Not possible OOB.

In order to have that, you would need to do it by hand when installing DebianOS.

I did it on a whim, on a Pi4 some time ago and it worked flawless.

Create a BTRFS root partition with snapshots

Install and run SNAPPER on the root partition.

SNAPSHOTS were done on every boot/reboot && on apt run.

Not impossible but not for the faint of heart (these are for Raspberry but you might find/search for amd64)

Boot Btrfs root partition with Raid1 on Raspberri Pi | Ephestione's HQ

Raspbian and btrfs (feldspaten.org)

Raspbian Btrfs root filesystem guide (2017-06) - HackMD

Snapper - ArchWiki (archlinux.org)

Since Pis don't use GRUB, to boot from a previous snapshot was only a matter of changing the cmdline.txt to use a different subvol.

On grub, I have no idea

in my test env i have this situation:

root@omvbatest:~# zfs -V

zfs-2.2.2-pve2

zfs-kmod-2.1.14-pve1

why are these different?

Something still amiss in the output "zfs -V ". The module number does not match the utils number.

• Something still amiss in the output "zfs -V ". The module number does not match the utils number.

I appreciate your input, thanks!

Do you think I should revert back to OMV6 (from backup), or can I use this for now; everything seems to be functioning OK - filesystem, shares, docker...?

• Hello,

I am still stuck at the first part :(

When I remove the old config files my zfs pool is not mounted anymore (I can force import on the GUI) but U gave an error

Code
    00 - Internal Server Error
    Fatal error 45: Comment not terminated (line=1072, column=51); Fatal error 74: EndTag: '</' not found (line=1072, column=51)

I can't copy the other error (not fast enough). but talks about duplicate

And on reboot it is not imported anymore.

Do you have an idea? Where can I look for a way to automount (before docker).

Thank you

• I appreciate your input, thanks!

Do you think I should revert back to OMV6 (from backup), or can I use this for now; everything seems to be functioning OK - filesystem, shares, docker...?

No. Now I'm back I checked proxmox itself and I was surprised to see that "zfs -V" the output was in fact this:

Code
    root@pveuefi:~# uname -a       
    Linux pveuefi 6.5.13-1-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.5.13-1 (2024-02-05T13:50Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@pveuefi:~# zfs -V
    zfs-2.2.2-pve2
    zfs-kmod-2.2.2-pve1
    root@pveuefi:~#

So your system is OK. If you had upgraded from OMV6 to OMV7 starting with zfs and a pve kernel using omv-release-upgrade then you upgrade appears to have succeeded when others have failed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!