Update Rtl8125 driver

• Hey there

I am running OMV 7 with a Gigabyte B760m MB. Unfortunately, I have to say, it uses an Rtl8125 network chip, which stops my system from going deeper than C3, which in term causes more power drain than necessary

Realtek offers a very fresh Driver here that might fix it.

Trying to install it how realtek explains in the Readme outputs an error that "make" is not to be found.

I think I am missing build-essentials here, which ofc I can install. Before I tinker with the system I'd like to ask here first though.

Is upgrading the driver, according to your experience, in general a bad idea that can break alot? Can I fix and roll back easily if necessary or should I just backup the whole system (just in case)?

Is there an easy way to switch drivers and should I try this first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Unfortunately, I have to say, it uses an Rtl8125 network chip, which stops my system from going deeper than C3, which in term causes more power drain than necessary

Realtek offers a very fresh Driver here that might fix it.

What does "stops my system from going deeper than C3" mean?

I unpacked the driver you linked and found the datestamp is 10/23. If this truly accurate then OMV7 should already have it. Sometimes a Git entry is updated for other reasons than a new driver file.

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Processor Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

• Thanks Barney, well I've tried to configure my system for low idle power consumption (BIOS settings & powertop).

In Powertop I've noticed that pkg state would only show usage of C3 max. Unplugging/deactivating Ethernet changes that instantly.

I've dug a bit and found some threads at Unraid that suggested this ethernet chip or better the driver should be the culprit.

The specific "new" driver solved the issue for some, so I thought I might try it.

• As OMV7 is debian 12 based, a driver for rtl 8125 is part of the firmware-realtek package installed on your system (see: https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/firmware-realtek ) were the data is part of its version name as shown here https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/firmware-nonfree.

But there is an additional more up to date r8125 dkms package which you can find here: https://github.com/awesometic/…s/releases/tag/9.012.04-1

Thank you! So I could just try to install that .deb? Do I have to "select" the driver afterwards?

Edit:

I could just read the github page.. Sorry, will do that first!

• My apologies for the double post, but others might not see an update:

I tried to install the firmware but got an error message:

• Line 12 tells you your OMV7 does not have the necessary kernel headers package installed. Installing the headers meta package should ensure headers are installed for your current kernel and will be installed in future kernel updates.

apt install linux-headers-amd64

You also need the dkms package installed if it's not already on your system.

apt install dkms

Now you should be able to install the realtek package.

• Breece

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!