Problem booting OMV

• Hello everybody,

I'm new to OMV, but not new to NAS or computers. I'm also to some extent familiar with Linux.

So I installed OMV 7 on my old Qnap NAS TS-259. This is still x32-bit, so I first installed Debian and then OMV using the install script.

Boot device is a USB stick with 8GB (stick is USB 3, while USB port of NAS is USB 2 - just in case this does matter)

My installation basically works fine and is working as expected.

BUT every now and then I have problems booting the NAS. It either boots fine or it hangs after "initial ramdisk ...".

After loading the ramdisk the screen goes black with just a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

I know that this is expected behavior - but it's also expected to show the login screen after maybe half a minute.

And here the NAS get's stuck.

I tried removing the "quiet" parameter from GRUB, but that didn't help anything.

When it boots, I get all the expected messages. If it doesn't boot, I don't get any of those messages. Not a single line...

So no additional information where it might get stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Quack

• crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • In the meantime I have made a few more attempts and passed the following kernel params via GRUB:

1) See if I have a problem with timing

"boot-delay=1000 io-delay=udelay nomodeset rootdelay=2 rootwait=10 usb-storage.delay-use=2"

2) Try to get more information

"debug earlycon ignore-loglevel keep-bootcon"

None of this has led to any significant change.

With (1) the NAS hangs just as sporadically.

And with (2) I got no log output when the boot process hung.

(Of corse I got plenty of output when the boot process was successful)

Oh and just to anticipate any obvious questions:

I have checked the HW of the USB stick (at least 2x). It is fine.

I used a different stick anyway --> same behavior.

I tried different USB ports of the NAS --> same behavior.

• In the meantime I found out, that this is related to the version of Debian.

V12 (Bookworm) does show this behavior, whereas V11 (Bullseye) doesn't.

Now my question is:

Since I am on an x32 architecture, I need to use this line to install OMV on top of Debian.

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

If my understanding is correct, this will always download the most current version of OMV. Meaning, I will install OMV7 on top of Debian V11.

Does anybody know, if this has known issues or limitations? Or can I just go ahead and use OMV7 on top of Debian V11?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!