6.9.15-1 suicides by cron-apt (and takes samba with it too)

• Ok, this one is weird.

Updated to 6.9.15-1 a couple of days ago. Yesterday, I woke up to some cron error messages in the mail. Went to GUI - get 403. Samba stopped working too.

After digging a little, openmediavault package is NOT INSTALLED. samba also not installed. So, I apt install samba and apt install --reinstall openmediavault. Everything works.

Today - same thing! Ok, I know what to do already. And then I went into logs - see below.

For now, I did omv-env set -- OMV_CRONAPT_SECURITY_UPGRADES_ENABLED 0

???

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of: apt-cache policy samba-common

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What is the output of: apt-cache policy samba-common

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What about: apt-cache policy python3-samba samba samba-common-bin samba-vfs-modules wsdd

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• What about: apt-cache policy python3-samba samba samba-common-bin samba-vfs-modules wsdd

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Those all look fine. Does the follow try to remove openmediavault? Make sure to say no to the upgrade question

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

• Those all look fine. Does the follow try to remove openmediavault? Make sure to say no to the upgrade question

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

No.

Code
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If there is nothing to upgrade, I don't know why cronapt would upgrade anything.

• If there is nothing to upgrade, I don't know why cronapt would upgrade anything.

Please see the whole cron-apt from the syslog below (truncated the already posted posted part from my first message, because too long) - maybe this will help. It did have google-chrome-stable to update, I guess I manually updated it after recovering the whole thing this morning.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Please see the whole cron-apt from the syslog below (truncated the already posted posted part from my first message, because too long) - maybe this will help

Nope. If apt-get dist-upgrade has nothing to install, cron-apt will have nothing to install.

It did have google-chrome-stable to update, I guess I manually updated it after recovering the whole thing this morning.

If you have a desktop environment installed, I am not happy about wasting my time figuring out upgrade problems. Desktop environments are not supported. Use a docker image if you must have it on the same system.

• Nope. If apt-get dist-upgrade has nothing to install, cron-apt will have nothing to install.

If you have a desktop environment installed, I am not happy about wasting my time figuring out upgrade problems. Desktop environments are not supported. Use a docker image if you must have it on the same system.

It's not a desktop environment - I have chrome on this box for an unrelated project. Thanks anyway, I hope the irrecoverable waste of your time won't be too impactful.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

It's not a desktop environment - I have chrome on this box for an unrelated project. Thanks anyway, I hope the irrecoverable waste of your time won't be too impactful.

I said "if" you had a desktop environment, then it was a waste of my time. Since you don't, then I don't consider it a waste of supporting an unsupported system. We just hate trying to fix a problem only to find out a desktop environment is causing it. Way too many hours lost because of that.

Has cron-apt tried installing updates after you ran the apt-get dist-upgrade that had nothing to upgrade? The timestamps in your output don't tell me really what time those commands ran vs the current time.

• I said "if" you had a desktop environment, then it was a waste of my time. Since you don't, then I don't consider it a waste of supporting an unsupported system. We just hate trying to fix a problem only to find out a desktop environment is causing it. Way too many hours lost because of that.

Has cron-apt tried installing updates after you ran the apt-get dist-upgrade that had nothing to upgrade? The timestamps in your output don't tell me really what time those commands ran vs the current time.

I see - no harm done then.

The timestamps are in US Central time - the logs are from before my troubleshooting today and the posting of this thread. The chrome package was upgraded between the cron-apt run and my posting. I wonder if an upgradable package needs to be present to trigger the self destruct behavior. Maybe I should try downgrading something and try?

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I wonder if an upgradable package needs to be present to trigger the self destruct behavior. Maybe I should try downgrading something and try?

It should only happen if a package needs an upgrade that conflicts with the openmediavault package itself or one of its dependencies. I wouldn't downgrade anything because that throws another non-standard variable in the mix.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!