OMV 7 install on Helios64 fails

• We (Helios64 owners) are currently experiencing significant problems when we try to use the script from...

https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install

... to install the current OMV 7 on a Armbian Bookworm system.

At the following point...

Code
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/grains/core.py:2711: DeprecationWarning: Use setlocale(), getencoding() and getlocale() instead
      ) = locale.getdefaultlocale()
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/grains/core.py:2711: DeprecationWarning: Use setlocale(), getencoding() and getlocale() instead
      ) = locale.getdefaultlocale()
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/utils/pycrypto.py:26: DeprecationWarning: 'crypt' is deprecated and slated for removal in Python 3.13
      import crypt
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/modules/linux_shadow.py:21: DeprecationWarning: 'spwd' is deprecated and slated for removal in Python 3.13
      import spwd
    Deploying service configurations ... <<<<< here !?
    Processing system modifications ... <<<<< or here !?

... the cpu frequency from the following value...

Code
    # cat /etc/default/cpufrequtils
    ENABLE="true"
    GOVERNOR="ondemand"
    MAX_SPEED="1200000"
    MIN_SPEED="408000"

... is changed to this value...

Code
    $ cat /etc/default/cpufrequtils
    ENABLE="true"
    GOVERNOR="schedutil"
    MAX_SPEED="0"
    MIN_SPEED="0"

the cpu frequency is then written back at the following point...

... and then the Helios64 automatically reboots and the installation is faulty.

The question remains with us...

Why is the cpu frequency changed at all during the OMV installation?

Is this really necessary or can it be left to the user's settings so that these changes do not occur?

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Why is the cpu frequency changed at all during the OMV installation?

The install is trying not to change them. Armbian puts the settings in /etc/default/cpufrequtils (as you said) but this is not what OMV's saltstack code uses for a source of truth. So, the script tries to read /etc/default/cpufrequtils on all Armbian installs and write them to OMV's default overrides allowing saltstack to rewrite /etc/default/cpufrequtils to the original values.

Is this really necessary or can it be left to the user's settings so that these changes do not occur?

If the script doesn't do this, OMV will change them to the values you saw. I'm not sure where things went wrong on your install. I will have to try an armbian install.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have monitored the installation in parallel with the following command, so that I can see exactly when the file is changed... ...

Code
    while [ 1 ]; do sleep 1; clear; tail /etc/default/cpufrequtils; done

... and during this script part, i.e. the omv installation, the file is changed...

Code
    line 337 - 343...  
      _log "Installing openmediavault..."
      aptFlags="--yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --no-install-recommends"
      apt-get ${aptFlags} install openmediavault 2>&1 | tee -a ${logfile}
      if [ ${PIPESTATUS[0]} -gt 0 ]; then
        _log "failed to install openmediavault package."
        exit 2
      fi
    • Offizieller Beitrag

nd during this script part, i.e. the omv installation, the file is changed...

Weird, I guess I need to move the armbian setting collection before the OMV install then.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually, the install script is already doing that - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/blob/master/install#L286

I will have to try an install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

that command just rewrites the /etc/hosts file. What makes you think that is bad?

• is just a thought when the wrong "0" values are written or who is responsible for the output at that time...

Code
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/utils/pycrypto.py:26: DeprecationWarning: 'crypt' is deprecated and slated for removal in Python 3.13
      import crypt
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/modules/linux_shadow.py:21: DeprecationWarning: 'spwd' is deprecated and slated for removal in Python 3.13
      import spwd
    • Offizieller Beitrag

is just a thought when the wrong "0" values are written or who is responsible for the output at that time...

Code
      import crypt
      import spwd

These lines are written by the postinst script of the openmediavault package.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The file is modified because it is under the control of OMV. If you want to use custom settings, then you need to set the environment variables that you can find here: https://github.com/openmediava…/files/cpufrequtils.j2#L1

• Offizieller Beitrag

The install is trying not to change them. Armbian puts the settings in /etc/default/cpufrequtils (as you said) but this is not what OMV's saltstack code uses for a source of truth. So, the script tries to read /etc/default/cpufrequtils on all Armbian installs and write them to OMV's default overrides allowing saltstack to rewrite /etc/default/cpufrequtils to the original values.

If the script doesn't do this, OMV will change them to the values you saw. I'm not sure where things went wrong on your install. I will have to try an armbian install.

I see Aaron has already explained the behaviour in detail.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Have you found a solution to the problem in the meantime?

No but you could just use the skip reboot flag on the install script, set the cpufreq frequencies (the ones below are wrong because I didn't look up what they are) and reboot.

sudo omv_set_default "OMV_CPUFREQUTILS_GOVERNOR" "performance"

sudo omv_set_default "OMV_CPUFREQUTILS_MINSPEED" "1000"

sudo omv_set_default "OMV_CPUFREQUTILS_MAXSPEED" "2000"

sudo omv-salt stage run prepare

sudo omv-salt deploy run cpufrequtils

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

We (Helios64 owners) are currently experiencing significant problems when we try to use the script from...

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install

... to install the current OMV 7 on a Armbian Bookworm system.

You have to realize that you're using an unsupported "automated" Armbian build for Dev's only. Those builds are untested and unsupported, by Armbian and OMV. BTW: I'm in the same boat with an older SBC, the Rock64.

This is the CLI logon for the Rock64 and this is what you're seeing as well:

While I understand trying to get use some out of an older more specialized SBC, in the bottom line, it's not supported.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!