Plex movies always buffering and skipping

• Hello

I can get more specific details in a bit but for right now I believe I have 12 4 TB drives in RAID 5 configuration. The network interface card on the server is a 10 Gb card which connects to a 10 Gb Cisco switch which runs on a really nice CAT 8 ethernet to my one gig TV, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. Plex servers on each device does the same thing to any movie that is 4K.

The server is an HP pro DL 380 generation 10 with what I believe is a really good built-in raid card designed for the service itself.

I am all for accepting that raid five might not be the right raid for fast throughput and and can easily change to whatever raid it may be. I’m open to getting rid of the hardware raid and going software through OMV. These are all things that I downloaded so I really could care less about integrity and or back up. This is just for my movies that I downloaded. But before I change any raid which I’m open to I was wondering if maybe there’s something on the server itself more specifically Plex settings that I could change? Just seems that even if the raid was not the fastest and at 1BG end device, why am I buffering? Also Plex, latest, is in docker format and NO transcoding is happening, all direct play.

• Are the 4K movies being transcoded? If so you may be CPU bound. Network and filesystem throughput are almost never to blame for buffering.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hey there. The movies themselves are 4K 7.1 Surround 50-60 Gb each. I am doing Direct Play.

I do not have transcoding playing… Ive even monitored the Plex server and shows Direct Play.

As far as CPU goes, I have not “specified” CPU usage in the Docker but it is 2 CPU’s 64 Total to use. Maybe this is an option? Also system has 384GB RAM, and that is not specified either.

• It's probably the client. Anything currently offered by Amazon or Apple or Roku or Google won't work. It seems to be semi-official right now that "streaming" is considered UP TO the total bitrate of ~8MB/s. Anything over that and a pure "streaming" device doesn't have to play it and won't.

You can use Kodi just to test the device. If it's the network, Kodi will have a pop-up stating something like "The read source is too slow", meaning your NAS is too slow. However, if Kodi just buffers without saying that or throws that pop-up very rarely, then it's the device.

There's devices by dune-hd and ugoos and a few others that will play it along with Dolby Vision but, sadly all of them cost ~200usd. A commonly found used one for about ~150usd is the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 ($200usd new), but it has bugs and is already in EOL (no updates for already over a year). I have one and I wouldn't say it's total garbage, but it's not as good as the newer modern devices (plus Ads suck!).

If I had to buy one today, I'd probably buy that ~210usd ugoos but, I'd have to research things because there really is a lot of these devices now. Technically, if you don't use HDR or Dolby Vision, you can get a cheap N100 device and that will work using tone mapping (or not).

• On the Series X, Kodi plays a remux of "Aliens" 1986 with Dobly Vision just fine. It also plays a remux of "Trainspotting" 1996 with a possible throughput of 13.1MB/s. There's higher bitrates. Sadly, it's still the Xbox and doesn't play _ALL_ Dolby Vision profiles correctly. For instance a 4K web rip episode of "Ted Lasso" only ~12GB in size still plays in purple and green.

Good luck!

• Did you consider the encoding/decoding limitations of plex playing videos?

Especially for 4k there are some limitations ...

There is a detailed documenation on plex website (support files)

Edit: I've heard that Infuse is playing better/more reliable/more formats than plex. And Infuse can be connected to plex-database

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• Hey

This is my current compose.. Anything see off?

• The question is: how are your videos encoded? Resolution, Bitrate, tonemapping, sound, ...

Plex is not able to play everything.

You should check this.

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• An example is

• How are you determining that a video is "playing directly"?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!