Kernel Update (6.1.0-18 to 20) breaks Network - No network interfaces found

• Good morning to all,

last night my OMV (OMV 7 with a Gigabyte B760m MB with a RTL8125 network chip) updated the Kernel from 6.1.0-18 to 20. After the required reboot my network connection is gone. omv-firstaid tells me "no network interface found". I am using a specific driver from this repo because, my RTL8125 stopped the system from achieveing package power states.

I am not good enough with linux to understand the output, but think something went wrong with the driver while upgrading.. Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the 6.1.0-18 kernel as of now which still works.

Have a great sunday

• Breece

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Kernel Update (6.1.0-18 to 20) breaks Network - No network interface found“ zu „Kernel Update (6.1.0-18 to 20) breaks Network - No network interfaces found“ geändert.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

When you compile a driver, you have to recompile it every time you install a new kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• When you compile a driver, you have to recompile it every time you install a new kernel.

Hey ryecoaaron,

thank you very much for your reply. Do I recompile under the new kernel or for the new kernel under the old?

Shouldn't omv at least "fall back" to the standard driver if the new / special one is not compiled?

And in the log I provided it looks to me like some kind of "compiling" happened, or do I understand that incorrectly? I thought DKMS was exactly made "for this scenario" of a kernel update.

Thank you again and have a good start in the new week tomorrow.

• It is best to install kernel 6.5.0-0 (backports). Then the RTL8125 works without additional driver installation (at least for me). This should probably be implemented from kernel 6.2.0 onwards.

• It is best to install kernel 6.5.0-0 (backports). Then the RTL8125 works without additional driver installation (at least for me). This should probably be implemented from kernel 6.2.0 onwards.

Hey Mischka, thank you as well for the suggestion. Can you confirm that ASPM works with that kernel? My RTL8125 worked without the "special driver" but not with r8125. Instead R8269 was used that does not support ASPM..

How would I install that driver, or is that the proxmox one?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!