Remote Mount (NFS) completed and is mounted but results in limited access.

• I use OMV to host applications and TrueNAS to host storage.

I know this is not as simple as would be ideal, But I love the way the docker compose OMV add in works. Similarly I love the maturity of the ZFS storage options in TrueNAS. Apps need access to the storage, and NFS is usually the way to go for remote storage with linux to linux, thus I am trying to remotely mount TrueNAS NFS shared in OMV via the remote mount plugin.

on the TrueNAS side the folder structure looks like this (stolen from best practices guides)

/mnt/hddpool/data/ is the root and I have three folders inside it.

/mnt/hddpool/data/usenet

/mnt/hddpool/data/torrents

/mnt/hddpool/data/media

inside each of these folders is a a series of other folder such as

/mnt/hddpool/data/media/tv

/mnt/hddpool/data/media/music

the important folders here are

/mnt/hddpool/data is media:media drwxrwxr-x

/mnt/hddpool/data/torrents is qbittorrent:media drwxrwxr-x

/mnt/hddpool/data/usenet is sabnzbd:media drwxrwxr-x

/mnt/hddpool/data/media is media:media drwxrwxr-x

/mnt/hddpool/data/media/books is media:media drwxrwxr-x

/mnt/hddpool/data/media/tv is sonarr:media drwxrwxr-x

/mnt/hddpool/data/media/music lidarr:media drwxrwxr-x

I have NFS shares on trueNAS created for ALL of these folders and as far as I can see created equally. I did this for troubleshooting and to get working. in the end I want to claw it back to only what is actually required.

from the OMV side

if I remote mount /mnt/hddpool/data All I see is three empty folder (media,torrents,usenet)

if I remote mount /mnt/hddpool/data/torrents I see the full folder structure, all files and folders that exist there

if I remote mount /mnt/hddpool/data/usenet I see the full folder structure, all files and folders that exist there

if I remote mount /mnt/hddpool/data/media/books I see the full folder structure, all files and folders that exist there

if I remote mount /mnt/hddpool/data/media/tv I see the full folder structure, all files and folders that exist there

if I remote mount .... anything .... other than the /data root .. I have access

since I use the same ID from the OMV side .... I don't understand how this can be explained by permissions to be honest.

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

It is permissions. Basically, the user accessing the remote nfs share is going to need to be in a group with the same group id as media on the remote server.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• mervincm I think there's more than permission in question. I don't know if you're are using CORE or SCALE, but the important point is given their docs here. To quote:

Zitat

NFS treats each dataset as its own file system. When creating the NFS share on the server, the specified dataset is the location that client accesses. If you choose a parent dataset as the NFS file share location, the client cannot access any nested or child datasets beneath the parent.

This explains the behaviour you see in OMV remote NFS mounts, assuming the two paths point to individual datasets:

Zitat

from the OMV side

if I remote mount /mnt/hddpool/data All I see is three empty folder (media,torrents,usenet)

if I remote mount /mnt/hddpool/data/torrents I see the full folder structure, all files and folders that exist there

The implementation of NFS server/shares in TrueNAS SCALE is not particularly Linux like. The UI, inherited from CORE, still uses FreeBSD terminology referring to "Maproot" and "Mapall" and there's no way to use specific export options like "crossmnt". This is hardly different to using TrueNAS Core for nfs shares.

Contrast this with the OMV implementation of NFS server & shares which uses bind mounts for NFS exports and allows additional options.

• Thanks. I basically gave up and am rebuilding my TrueNAS Scale system from scratch. another 10-20 hours into fixing this lol

I am not sure why but i just continue to struggle to understand the permissions in linux based systems when I have no problems at all with Windows AD systems ... One day I will get it.

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!