Devices list empty in ZFS and Multi Device

• Hey there,

So my idea was to create a RAID 5 with 7 identical SSDs connected thru a USB HUB to a Raspberry Pi 4. The disks SEPARATELY work perfectly and i even managed to make SMB shares of filesystems and/or home directories. Everything works like a charm. Even RAID 10 does what it's supposed to, but it cuts in half the storage, and i don't need that.

The problem comes when i want to group the 7 drives into one RAID 5. Out of the box, the only filesystem that would accept a RAID is BTRFS, but it only gives me the DUP, RAID 0, 1, and 10 options. I've seen some people with an option called "RAID Management" under Storage, but i don't have that option. I tried to install the ZFS plugin and the Linux MD plugin (there's only one of each), but whenever i try to select a device, the list is empty. I've read in A LOT of places that OMV won't recognize a drive if it already has a filesystem in it, or if it already is in a share or so, so that wiping the entire disk should do the trick. I wiped them many times but no luck. It would seem as the plugins are not capable of recognizing the drives entirely.

My installation is: OMV 7.0.5-1 (Sandworm), Kernel Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, 32GB SD, Raspberry Pi OS Lite (64-bit) rev: 2024-03-15, the two plugins + openmediavault-compose + docker repo. I'm gonna continue trying stuff, and i may even delete everything and start from scratch a few more times with different versions, but it would be of great help if you could point me in the right direction. I only need a RAID 5 or RAID-Z1, and that's all. ^___^

Thanks beforehand!

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

OMV does not support the creation of any type of raid with USB-connected drives. This is why you can't see available units when you try to create a raid.

• But you are wrong, my friend. I already told you i managed to create a RAID 10 using the native BTRFS system. And it also allows me some other RAID configs. It just doesn't show the RAID 5 mode. Is there any way i can create a RAID 5 with a BTRFS via CLI or something? Or maybe i can create a ZFS somewhere else and then import it, or something?

• Offizieller Beitrag

But you are wrong, my friend. I already told you i managed to create a RAID 10 using the native BTRFS system. And it also allows me some other RAID configs. It just doesn't show the RAID 5 mode. Is there any way i can create a RAID 5 with a BTRFS via CLI or something? Or maybe i can create a ZFS somewhere else and then import it, or something?

I'm not wrong. What I said is that OMV does not support raid with USB connected drives and I stand by that. That doesn't mean you can't do it, under OMV is debian.

Just think that if OMV doesn't admit it, it's not because it can't admit it. It's because there are reasons not to do it.

Search the forum, that decision was made years ago.

If you want to go that route against the OMV design you can do it, but don't look for help, you won't find it here.

Good luck!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!