ZFS Z2 Array is Faulted and Degraded? What is the difference?

• I came across my disk earlier today and noticed the pool was degraded. I came across multiple degraded and faulted drives. So I am unsure what is worse the faulted drives or the degraded drives? I do not understand the difference. My guess is degraded is still accessible but faulted is not or is it also considered offline?

I am unsure how to tackle this situation as I am not sure what is worse, do I replace degraded drives first? or Faulted drives? I can still access the data but does this also mean the data is corrupted?

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

That means there are two units that are not connected (maybe it's just a cable issue). As it is a raidz2 you can lose up to 2 drives and the pool will continue to work in degraded mode, the data you access is in good condition. But the situation is precarious, if you lost another drive you would lose all the data in the pool.

I would check the connections of those two drives that have disappeared and see if they can simply be reconnected.

I would also check the SMART values of those two drives.

• I checked the SMART values and they show the drives are green Status. Oh I see, that data that is in a compromised state would show degraded on the drives? So replacing those faulted drives would fix the "degraded" drives as well once resilvered. Did I make that connection correctly?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!