omv-mkaptidx running for a long time

• Hello,

the process to create the index for upgradeable packages & OMV plugins takes almost a minute to run on my HP N40L:

Code
    root@porphyrion:~# time omv-mkaptidx
    Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of OpenMediaVault plugins ...

real    0m43.091s
    user    0m0.080s
    sys     0m0.020s
    root@porphyrion:~#

Is it possible to reduce the time and/or don't run it every time apt-get is called? It's really frustrating that apt-get update takes 1,5 minutes (20 seconds to download, 1 minute to update the indexes), then apt-get upgrade again takes at least 2-3 minutes.

• I doubt it. omv-mkaptidx can only be made faster if you use less repositories, because, to build the index it has to simulate the installation for each plugin that is available.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• And why does it have to be invoked every time apt-get is run? Is it not possible to only involve during upgrade? I unfortunately cannot replace my CPU (I have a HP MicroServer N40L).

• If you think its running to often you can create/request a feature request/bugfix here:

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org

Before we had the index, everytime you accessed the WebGUI under updates/plugins it had to build the 'index' right at the moment which slowed the GUI down a lot. Also, the simulation has to be run before because not simulating could render both apt and dpkg in an unfixable (via GUI) state.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Just a thought - what about running the simulation first when clicking the "install" button? If the simulation runs fine, then install the plugin. If not, give an error message.
    So the index would be built faster. No matter how many repos are activated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The idea was that only installable plugins would show on the list. If you don't simulate then you don't know for sure.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't normally use the GUI (I used it to configure OMV when I installed or upgraded, but usually I use ssh), is it safe to remove /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99openmediavault-mkaptidx ? I can of course put it back in place if I want to install a new plugin or run it manually.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess so. Haven't tried it. I never thought it is was that slow on my N40L.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

He switched creating the index with python3 code. Says it is faster. Haven't tried the svn to verify.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is definitely faster on my amd64 development station. Trying on the RPi next.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On the RPi, here are my results for apt-get update command from the command line:

root on SD card + OMV 1.0.9 = 4m20s
    root on SD card + OMV 1.0.10 = 1m40s
    root on hard drive + OMV 1.0.10 = 1m40s

Nice work @votdev :)

• 1m40s - how much repos/plugins enabled?
    With that times I can understand why it's a PITA for some people...

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those times are from the command line. Web interface would take a bit longer.

omv-extras and omv-extras testing are enabled. 33 plugins total in list. That is why it takes so long.

I still don't understand what the big deal is though. The system updates automatically. So, the only time you see this slowness is when you update or when you check for new updates/plugins but you don't have to leave your browser open. And how often does a person really do this? If you are using an RPi, it shouldn't be very often.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!