question about some hardware I was thinking about purchasing

• I was looking at purchasing an IBM X3550 M2 with dual quad core xeon 2.4ghz and 16gb ram.

I wanted to know if this would work for an openmediavault setup? I don't have any experience with server racks I did see it said vga out so I can work on it with a monitor till I can remote in.

I am familiar with putty and I use archlinux and centOS on different machines.

I will ultimately be:
    transcoding some
    running usenet/torrent
    plex
    I may see if I can set it up to do a gateway/router config. I used to use a separate desktop for pfsense.

this will come with everything but drives. I know its probably overkill for what I need but the price is cheaper than I can find budget computers for. Also it is used.
    Thanks everyone.

• It will work fine. Not energy efficient though.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I think so. You could probably remove one of the xeons to make it more energy efficient. It will be loud as well.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5

• so it should be stored in a like a large closet or something?( I have a walk in closet) How loud do you think? I know its probably a terrible idea to think about housing it in the basement - gets damp. Unless that wont affect it.

thanks for the input

• so it should be stored in a like a large closet or something?( I have a walk in closet) How loud do you think? I know its probably a terrible idea to think about housing it in the basement - gets damp. Unless that wont affect it.

thanks for the input

1U servers are usually between 40-50db in idle. Noise level will be very close to washing machine with tone of vacuum cleaner, if that makes sense :)

• And the smaller the area you put it in without air flow, the hotter it gets and the more noise it makes.

• Ok I pulled the trigger and now I own a proliant dl360 g5. Now I wanted to know if its better to install debian and then omv or just use the omv iso. Will I still have a functioning debian install with omv iso where I can install regular debian packages? Thanks.

• I would use the OMV ISO. You end up with almost the same thing either way.

• Ok I pulled the trigger and now I own a proliant dl360 g5. Now I wanted to know if its better to install debian and then omv or just use the omv iso. Will I still have a functioning debian install with omv iso where I can install regular debian packages? Thanks.

Absolutely functioning debian install with just the iso. I initially planned to use my NAS as a HTPC as well, however I decided to use an Asus Chromebox instead. I do however have Boinc running on my Dell PowerEdge T20 with no issues.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!