How to set default login directory open for ftp user

• Hi,

I have setup FTP from this old guide

http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3205

Everything works fine except i need to cd to the share "ftp" before i can put anything as ftp user.

my sharefolder is called ftp, so when i login from one of the ftp users i see this

ftp> ls -la
    229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||14103|)
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
    drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp nogroup 4096 Sep 19 18:16 .
    drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp nogroup 4096 Sep 19 18:16 ..
    drwxrwsr-x 2 root users 4096 Sep 21 09:46 ftp

Now i need to cd to the ftp directory still to be able to write, i can't write anything where i am now.

So my question is how can i set it in the config so that when i login with ftp i get straight into the writeable ftp directory

Thanks,
    Armand

EDIT: i found this in man page

The DefaultRoot directive controls the default root directory assigned to a user upon login. If DefaultRoot is set to a directory other than "/", a chroot operation is performed immediately after a client authenticates. This can be used to effectively isolate the client from a portion of the host system filespace. The specified root directory must begin with a / or can be the magic character '~'; meaning that the client is chroot jailed into their home directory.

So i will try to set this, but what is the value then of the vroot in config file is that to set more shares which can be available for the ftp users?

• Have you tried using symlinks to work around the fixed DefaultRoot path?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Yeah i could do that but i think OMV should not overwrite the settings when you change something in the GUI, it should leave everything alone in the config file and only change what you do in the GUI.
    It needs to respect changes done in CLI.

• Well, it can't do that the way it is implemented. It can respect changes that are supposed to be changeable via CLI... there are some files for it. Maybe create a feature request for that on the bugtracker and Volker will implement it for you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I use the home directory for the user in the tab-settings "users"
    Samba - goes perfectly right in the user's home directory

And how to do that on a ftp - is also connect in the same user's home directory (/hdd1/users/*username*)?

omv 1.0.29 kralizec | 64 bit | 3.2.0-4 kernel | omvextrasorg 1.0.13 (Sorry for my bad english...)

• Subzero has given you the perfect answer to your question, even before you asked.

Greetings
    David

• Wait, you want to set ftp to the users home folder?

Or do you want to symlink something to the ftproot?

Greetings
    David

• Unfortunately, the fighting began... I get back from a bomb shelter and continue to solve the problem .. Sorry again (i return ~60 minutes)..

omv 1.0.29 kralizec | 64 bit | 3.2.0-4 kernel | omvextrasorg 1.0.13 (Sorry for my bad english...)

• Putin is crazy. So nice how he likes to kill people from his own ethnic group and shoot down innocent people on commercial flights... Russia could be part of NATO by now but it will never happen with this idiot. The West had great hopes that Russia would come back and be part of Western Civilization again.... sad...

Putin height 1.7 meters
    Medvedev height 1.62 meters

Maybe they got bullied as kids...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use the home directory for the user in the tab-settings "users"
    Samba - goes perfectly right in the user's home directory

And how to do that on a ftp - is also connect in the same user's home directory (/hdd1/users/*username*)?

Make the user home folder a share, then pick that share an add it to the ftp shares.
    As for your auto login & cd to that folder (user home folder), the simplest way to do it is set the client software to CD into that folder after first login. WINscp can do it, also filezilla.
    As an auto option (without the client setup), all I can think if of the mod_exec module in proftpd (and I am not sure if it will work), but I believe it comes disabled (not build into) OMV. @tekkb is the proftpd ninja so maybe he has a better idea

• Hi,

i think this Is the same Problem l have with my silly cam : FTP Share for Webcam (Wansview)?

Jochen

omv 1.14 kralizec | 64 bit | 3.16 backport kernel | omvextrasorg 1.13
    Plugins: Virtualbox, VDR (e-toby 2.2, jessie, manual), OwnCloud, Backup, MiniDLNA, Openvpnas, MySQL, USB Datasave, USV
    HW:Asrock q1900-ITX / 8GB RAM / 60 GB SSD / 2 TB Seagate Green + 2 TB WD Red = RAID 1 / APC Back-UPS CS 350 / Digibit R1 SAT>IP

• Zitat

Make the user home folder a share, then pick that share an add it to the ftp shares.As for your auto login & cd to that folder (user home folder), the simplest way to do it is set the client software to CD into that folder after first login. WINscp can do it, also filezilla.As an auto option (without the client setup), all I can think if of the mod_exec module in proftpd (and I am not sure if it will work), but I believe it comes disabled (not build into) OMV. tekkb is the proftpd ninja so maybe he has a better idea

Ideally - should be that user's home directory - it is the default directory for the Samba and ftp
    At the moment - i changed DefaultRoot in proftpd.conf

Maybe in the next version to fix it?

P.S. Thank you for your understanding of the situation .. we have a lot of victims of kidnappings, looters, etc. .. my friend took the car for what was on the street at night during curfew .. and two weeks were forced to dig trenches and strengthening .. But we still win! Ukraine forever!

• The best and easiest was for me to change the DefaultRoot, like also Stalker did but the problem is as i made the mistake again to change a ftp share in BUI and my DefaultRoot was changed again :(
    I need to search for a permanent solution where i am able to right in the directory when i login as ftp user on the path i have set.
    Going to delete all my config and give it another try.

• Offizieller Beitrag

All the default values of proftpd can be changed with environmental variables at /etc/default/openmediavault file.
    Those variable names can be obtained from the code that does mkconf for proftpd. They all start "OMV_", like OMV_PROFTPD_DEFAULTROOT.

Modify them at youre own risk, however you can always revert by commenting those overriden values at the file mentioned above. Also you will find better support for different values at the proftpd documentation site.

• Ok i found that file now i was looking on wrong server.

I have add the following line:
    OMV_PROFTPD_DEFAULTROOT= <path-to-volume>/Public

Going to test it now, what i do not understand why OMV is not making it default to for example a chroot like putting

OMV_PROFTPD_DEFAULTROOT=~

Because just using the /srv/ftp makes it impossible to write in the directory you are when login in and some programs like webcams do not support chdir.

• After setting the OMV_PROFTPD_DEFAULTROOT in the /etc/default/openmediavault file and reboot did not change the defaultroot in
    /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf :(

Maybe this is a bug !!!

When i went into the BUI and just changed a setting in the ftp section and save and after that checked again the /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf i saw that the DefaultRoot i had set in the openmediavault file suddenly appeared.

I do not know if this is default behavior but i find it a little weird that a change and reboot didn't pick up the change, but changing a setting in the BUI of ftp and save did.

Anyway now i have finally my DefaultRoot set the way i want it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thats is not a bug, a manual change in proftpd.conf is not going to be reboot persistent
    I've tested this weeks ago, and it worked. Did you use quotes in variable "/example_topath" ?
    after that you need to output the configuration with omv-mkconf proftpd, and reload proftpd.
    OMV does not create shares outside of the mounted volumes/drives, also it does not create shares from the system drive, but that can be circumvented with symlinks.
    What exactly do you want achieve? you want to write just to the root of the FTP?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!