setting up shares

• Gentlemen
    As I had, I am sure many people are a bit confused about the many options in the Share setup and Shares setup.
    What I think would be a good idea is a Written explanation of the many boxes to click on in the Share setup.
    A brief explanation of when you should click on these options would be a great help.
    I realize this is a bit of work, but it would help a lot of use new comers.
    Open Media Vault is a great piece of software.
    I am running the RPI version (RaspberryPi) for users that are not familiar with this tiny computer.
    My RaspberryPi and USB drive draw 18 watts when active, when the USB drive shuts down, it draws 6 watts,
    A great low cost file server system.
    Richard Prim

• Offizieller Beitrag

There will be a guide soon. But the basic idea is you create your shares in the shared folders section. Create them, give them a name, and set privileges (who can read write, read) the share

from there your shares are not ready to be accessed from anywhere yet. So after that you add them to your prefered service (samba, ftp the most commons)

Now from windows file explorer you type in your address bar

\\ip_omv\share

I've tried to keep it as simple as possible.
    Let me know how it works

• Thank you for a quick reply.
    Looking forward to the guide, I realize this is a bit of work.
    I have it working with both open and password protected shares for myself wife etc.
    Just so many options, not sure if I needed any of them or not.
    Again a awesome piece of software.
    Rich Prim

• 18 watts when active

3.5" Hard Disk?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Could you rephrase your Question please?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Yes the RaspberryPi and a 750 gig USB hard drive draws 18 watts active.
    When the hard drive (3.5") shuts down, the power consumption (RaspberryPi and USB hard drive) draw 6 watts.
    Nice low power home file server.
    Rich Prim

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!