change system drive

• I got my new SSD to replace the old one and I don't like to install OMV new, but restore system on the new one and want to ask, for help to do that. I see there are inbuild solutions and I already made a bachup to one of the data drives. I assume following procedure.

- Make backup to data drive
    - set grub loader to boot from Clonezilla ISO one time ==> Is the clonezilla backup on data drive meant?
    - change disk
    - restore system with clonezilla ==> a bit more details, what to click in clonezilla would be good
    - boot up new

Is that correct?

I may have the chance to connect both, old and new disks to my Windows/Ubuntu PC. Is there another (easier) way to clone then?
    Can I just use

Code
    dd

???

• Your plan should work just fine. Clonezilla is better and faster than using dd.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Tried today to clone my system. I booted to Clonezilla, old disk still installed and the new one at external Sata port. So far good, but Problem is that, the old disk I use for system by now has a size pretty much bigger, than the new SSD I want to use. Any recommendation?

• resize the partitions on the old drive with gparted-live to a size smaller than new ssd.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6

• Hi,

I've planned to replace my SSD system drive by a smaller one.
    There are two partions on it: 20GB system + 200GB DATA (for download managers, emby, plex and mysql)
    I'll use acronis true image to clone the disk, but what about partitions uuid ?
    they will remain the same, no need to change fstab or anything else?

thanks

• No idea how acronis works but if the UUIDs are the same, no changes to fstab are necessary.

• I finaly succeeded to clone my system disk to a smaller one.

Acronis is simplier to use, but unfortunally it looses the partitions UUID. (at least for version 2014)
    So I give clonezilla a try, with success!
    Here are the steps:

• Boot with Gparted Live to shrink partitions such that they will fit on the new drive
    • Boot with CloneZilla:
      • choose "device-device clone"
      • select the advanced options, let default options and enable the -icds
      • process
    • eventually boot on gparted to extend partitions on the target

Hope it can helps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!