Permissions in subfolders

• Hello,

I've set up a main directory named Home and I would like to create a subfolder inside, but I would only like this to be accessed by certain users
    for example

/home/public (to be accessed by everyone)
    /home/finances (to be accessed by me only)

I have 3 users set up, Myself (MK-A), my Parents (PARENT) and Guest (GUEST)

How do I set it so that the subfolder, '/home/finances' is accessible by Myself only, the /home folder privileges are set as 'Everyone read/write'.

I have tried this before but when I go to open the /home/finances subfolder I am greeted by the error, 'You do not have the privileges to access //MK-NAS/home/finances...' even though I set my 'MK-A' user to have the read/write privileges.

Any help would be great, thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to keep it simple, split those folders (finances & public) into two shares and control access with privileges.

You want to do it the dirty way, use ACL but if with time odd behaviour appears in those shares you can start by erasing those ACL with the reset utility of omv-extras.

Read the sticky post in this section, you will have a more clear understanding for samba types shares. Also the guide in my signature

• Do what subzero said. Split them apart and get rid of the useless home folder. That just adds more trouble than actual use.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Your location will be:

/media/UUID/finances
    /media/UUID/public

You will not use the home location. The UUID will be the volume (hard drive or raid) that you select on which to the shared folder in question.
    With the finances only give your user privileges to the finances shared folder.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!