Posts by willowen100

Hi

Is there a way reconfiguring the install button for Portainer on the web-UI found under System > omv-extras >Portainer?

I would like to modify the Docker run command to use a different bind mount.

I would like to modify the Docker run command to something like this:

Code
    docker run -d -p 9000:9000 -p 8000:8000 --name portainer --restart always \
    -v "/srv/docker/appdata/portainer/data:/data" \
    -v "/var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock" \
    portainer/portainer-ce

The days of manually "parking heads" before shutdown are long over. If power is removed from modern hard drives, as in the PC's cord is yanked from the wall or a power of is forced with the power button, hard drives are designed to autopark their heads while gliding on the cushion of air created by the still spinning platters. It works quite well.

That sounds relieving. Is there a way I can diagnose why my USB switch that has the HDDs attached to it doesn't spin the HDDs down when my SoC shuts down?

Hi

I have a scheduled job that automatically shuts down my Rock64 running OMV 5 at a specific time at night. Sadly my Rock64 doesn't support automatic startup so the only way to power it on is manually either using the physical power button or removing complete power (also pulling out the power barrel connector) and restoring the power. To get around this I use smart plugs to wake it up again.

Now, powering on and off the equipment with the smart plugs isn't a problem except that when OMV shutdowns it's not safely powering off the HDDs too. This means when my smart plugs eventually power off the powered, USB 3 hub a couple of minutes later with the HDDs connected to it, it is forcefully cutting the power to fully spinning HDDs.

I can rule out the hub not being the problem because safely ejecting the device in Windows gracefully spins down the HDDs.

The automatic shutdown feature found at `System > Power Management` is very basic. Obviously first of all it's not spinning down the HDDs properly and secondly when a data transfer on SMB for example is in progress the automatic shutdown proceeds anyway without checking for system activity.

I thought about using an additional Cron job to unmount and sleep the drives using `sudo hdparm -y /dev/sda1` but that caused issues when rebooting just the Rock64 alone. The HDDs seemed to be stuck in an infinite sleep and the Rock64 was unreachable until I completely power cycled the HDDs off and back on.

The interesting thing is if I connect the external HDDs directly to the Rock64 eliminating the USB 3 hub, when I shutdown the Rock64 the HDDs do in fact power off but they don't do it gracefully and it's as though I'm just ripping the power out while they are running at full RPM, very much like what the smart plug does. Conversely, I would expect the shutdown stage to spin the HDD down then power off. All of this sudden powering off to the HDDs won't do the HDD heads any good.

Any ideas how to get this working please?

Leaving the box blank didn't work on the version of OMV I was running at the time of writing the post hence why I had to specify the full path manually. The good news is that it seems to working now, now that I've done a clean install of OMV to the latest version. The only change with the configuration is shared folder paths now use UUID's.

Below are the steps I have taken to change the default path for Docker:

1) I created a directory 'docker' at '/etc'

2) I created a file daemon.json at '/etc/docker' and set permissions to that I could write to the file over a SFTP client

3) I used a SFTP client on Windows to edit the file and entered the following:

Code
    { "data-root": "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-dceac721-a86b-4d95-9866-c79109fbe9ca/AppData/Docker"}

4) I went to the web-GUI > OMV Extras > Docker, cleared the 'Docker Storage' field and clicked the 'Save' button.

5) After the settings had been applied I clicked install

6) Docker is successfully installed and running

I'm trying to install Docker to a custom folder rather at the default location of /var/lib/docker. The official Docker documentation says you can specify the default location by specifying data-root in the daemon.json file located /etc/docker/daemon.json. More info can be found here.

In the OMV web-GUI the Docker storage field says "Leave blank to use custom /etc/docker/daemon.json." which I have done but Docker never seems to be able to install and start. Below is the contents of the daemon.json file:

Code
    {
    "data-root": "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA1/AppData/Docker"
    }

However, specifying the new Docker installation path in the field as detailed in the guide here allows Docker to be installed and start up.

50938529858_507f68cb7c_b.jpg

Any idea what's going on here?

/var/log/nginx/openmediavault-webgui_access.log

/var/log/auth.log

Code
    Dec  1 18:41:44 OMV-SERVER openmediavault-webgui[3763]: Authorized login from ::ffff:192.168.1.100 [username=admin, user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Android 8.1.0; Mobile; rv:83.0) Gecko/83.0 Firefox/83.0]
    Dec  1 18:42:01 OMV-SERVER CRON[3775]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
    Dec  1 18:42:01 OMV-SERVER CRON[3775]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root

Hi

I've recently installed OMV 5 onto my Rock64 running Debian Buster using the script found on GitHub.

I'm trying to access the WebGUI via my mobile phone on Firefox's mobile browser app, but every time I login it loops back to login screen. Weirdly I can access and log into the WebGUI with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge perfectly fine, but Firefox is my preferred browser but it's not working. I never had any of these problems with OMV 4, however, Firefox mobile was using its old code at the time compared to the current version of Firefox which within the last couple of months the app has been redesigned so it could be that too. It's like something configured on the web server Firefox doesn't like.

Has anyone else experience this?

Hi

I have ROCK64 single-board PC made by Pine64. My system information is as follows:-

System Information

Code
    Version 4.1.23-1 (Arrakis)
    Processor ARMv8 Processor rev 4 (v8l)
    Kernel Linux 4.4.190-1233-rockchip-ayufan-gd3f1be0ed310
    Load average 0.01, 0.11, 0.14

Running services

SMB/CIFS

SSH

I get really good transfer speeds of 96MB/s so nothing is slow. I notice a lock-up when I'm transferring files via SMB and the progress bar will stop halfway through and trying to access the Web-GUI is unavailable too, but it is completely random when this occurs.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Hi
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before or whether anyone has thought about doing it, but I would like to set a sub-domain for accessing the WebGUI of OMV. To explain further, I'm setting up Nextcloud inside a Docker container and I would like to keep the default port 80, however, this clashes with OMV's WebGUI also running on that very same port. To be able to run OMV and Nextcloud's web interfaces together, in theory I should be able to run them each on their own sub-domain. For example
    cloud.openmediavault.lan > Nextcloud's Web interface
    admin.openmediavault.lan > OMV's WebGUI
    I know that OMV runs off a NGINX server and it's config file is found at /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/openmediavault-webgui (symbolic link to /etc/nginx/sites-avaliable). Here's the contents of openmediavault-webgui

server {
    server_name openmediavault-webgui;
    root /var/www/openmediavault;
    index index.php;
    autoindex off;
    server_tokens off;
    sendfile on;
    large_client_header_buffers 4 32k;
    client_max_body_size 25M;
    error_log /var/log/nginx/openmediavault-webgui_error.log error;
    access_log /var/log/nginx/openmediavault-webgui_access.log combined;
    error_page 404 = /404.php;
    location /404.html {
    internal;
    }
    location /extjs6/ {
    alias /usr/share/javascript/extjs6/;
    expires 2d;
    }
    location ~ ^/(css|fonts|js|images)/ {
    expires 2d;
    }
    location /favicon {
    expires 14d;
    }
    location ~ \.php$ {
    try_files $uri =404;
    fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
    fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock;
    fastcgi_index index.php;
    fastcgi_read_timeout 60s;
    include fastcgi.conf;
    fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
    }
    listen 8080;
    include /etc/nginx/openmediavault-webgui.d/*.conf;
    }

I changed line 1 to > server_name admin.openmediavault.lan;

added 127.0.0.1 admin.openmediavault.lan to the /etc/hosts file

and finally rebooted OMV. I could still access OMV via its IP address but the new domain name didn't work. I get a couldn't resolve domain error.

Is there as easy way of doing this or something I'm missing? I don't mind tweaking with the backend of the OS and using a CLI if needed.

Maybe as a suggestion for future builds could we get more options added to the General Settings > Web Administration page such as setting sub-domains so that this can be done via GUI.

Many thanks in advance.

Will

Hi

I'm not sure if this has been asked before or whether anyone has thought about doing it, but I would like to set a sub-domain for accessing the WebGUI of OMV. To explain further, I'm setting up Nextcloud inside a Docker container and I would like to keep the default port 80, however, this clashes with OMV's WebGUI also running on that very same port. To be able to run OMV and Nextcloud's web interfaces together, in theory I should be able to run them each on their own sub-domain. For example
    cloud.openmediavault.lan > Nextcloud's Web interface
    admin.openmediavault.lan > OMV's WebGUI
    I know that OMV runs off a NGINX server and it's config file is found at /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/openmediavault-webgui (symbolic link to /etc/nginx/sites-avaliable). Here's the contents of openmediavault-webgui

I changed line 1 to > server_name admin.openmediavault.lan;

added 127.0.0.1 admin.openmediavault.lan to the /etc/hosts file

and finally rebooted OMV. I could still access OMV via its IP address but the new domain name didn't work. I get a couldn't resolve domain error.

Is there as easy way of doing this or something I'm missing? I don't mind tweaking with the backend of the OS and using a CLI if needed.

Maybe as a suggestion for future builds could we get more options added to the General Settings > Web Administration page such as setting sub-domains so that this can be done via GUI.

Many thanks in advance.

Will

Hi

Sorry to jump on a old thread.

Is there a way to set the port when the container is host mode so that Nextcloud that uses port 80 by default, doesn't clash with OMV's web GUI running on the same port? From what I understand using host mode exposes itself through the host computer.

The other alternative I've read is to run the container in bridge mode and bind MySQL to all IP addresses using 0.0.0.0. Using bridge mode will allow me to use port 80 by default for Nextcloud and map it to an external port like 8888. The parameter for docker would look something like this

Code
    -p 8888:80

Which one would you suggest?