Posts by HannesJo

Why not? I don't think it's a question of giving out info or not. I mean, this is no classified information or so.

GitHub is simply said a platform for open source software and there you can look into the source of many free projects. But since you already have to ask, you probably can't do anything with it anyway.

May I ask from what source the statement originates from?

From my head. We are not even in Beta state, therefore I would not expect a stable release within the next months. Maybe not even this year.

You can already compile and test 6 alpha from GitHub. However it will still take some time until it’s production ready. Most likely not before Q3, maybe Q4.

Complete NOOB here. Setup OMV 5.5 on Raspberry Pi 4 following the new user guide. When I try to copy files to the shared folder from Windows 10 or Linux, get the "destination folder access denied" error.

When "hannesjo" says it has to do with Linux permissions, are you saying I should change the permissions for the shared drive from the Raspberry Pi?

Never set "Guest allowed" or "Only guests" in your shares unless you want everyone in your network/wifi being able to access.

In OMV you have two different areas to define your permissions. In Shared Folders view you can open "ACL" dialog to check if the correct owner is set and has full access. (You only need the lower half area here. Dont use the checkboxes in the upper half.) Doing so you grant your user access on the operating system level.

The second area is also in Shared Folders view. Click privileges. Here you use the checkboxes to grant your user full access as well. This setting is for services like smb/cifs.

Your user must have full access in both of them.

In the smb/cifs -> share settings, set Public to NO. Windows will ask for your login credentials when you try to connect. Just enter the data of the OMV user that owns the share.

You just encrypt every single drive using LUKS. Lets say you have encrypted /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc. When unlocked, the drives show up as eg. /dev/dm-0 and /dev/dm-1. (You can still see /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc, but never try to access them in any way but LUKS!)

Now simply setup your btrfs filesystem like:

Code
    mkfs.btrfs -L Lallkopf_Raid -d raid1 -f /dev/dm-0 /dev/dm-1

You may want to unlock them automatically by entering a passphrase on boot. I think thats the tricky part actually. You need to add your drives to /etc/crypttab file (It is like fstab but for encrypted volumes to be unlocked). When both of your drives use the same passphrase you can use keyscript=decrypt_keyctl to be prompted for the passphrase only once.

You will find specific steps on Google.

(Oh and you should test that on a virtual machine, and always have a backup!)

Klar hat der da was zu suchen. Nämlich um sein Passwort zu ändern. Probier es halt einfach mal aus? Einloggen, Passwort ändern. Wo soll das Problem sein? Der hat da keine Möglichkeit iwas am Server zu pfuschen oder so..

macom Muss das extra zugelassen werden? Kann mich gar nicht erinnern :/

No. You can use the Encryption Plugin for encryption of whole drives. Actually it can also manage encrypted partitions but you have to setup them manually.

File based encryption must be done manually. But maybe the best way for file based encryption is to do it client side anyway. (End-2-End)

I don't know about SUSE, but on Ubuntu I've had similar problems due to the mounting. When using mount, you may read about mount options uid, gid, file_mode and dir_mode (https://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.cifs) in order to get matching permission pattern. On Windows it is simply working because it doesn't know anything about unix permissions.

Here is an example for a single user share on a multi user environment:

Code
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/home/johannes/.smbcredentials,uid=1003,gid=100,file_mode=0700,dir_mode=0700,iocharset=utf8 //nas.local/johannes /mnt/nas.local/johannes

An easier way would be a gvfs mount, but I cannot use that since certain programs don't handle that properly.

So if I invite a family member/s ( each with their own Plex account ) as a Home User, and they want to access media that is stored on the NAS, would that stream go out via the internet ( use bandwidth ), or would the Home User view the media over the same based network ?

Edit: Sorry, misread. It goes over LAN if possible.

Only con that I see with each member having their own account, is that each user then has to pay for the device/s that they use ( android phones or tablets ), whereas with the Managed User setup, they all piggyback off the Home Owner account for using remote devices.

I think that is not true. The idea of Home users is that they don't have to pay anything if you already have a plex pass. You may verify that in Plex forums.