Beiträge von manuel5cc

I recently bought an ORICO 5 bay enclosure and came across this post because I noticed that the disks were spinning down, even when I have this setting deactivated for all of them.

All my disks are used in a mergerfs pool.

For now, I have noticed that, indeed, some disks spin down after some inactivity, so it seems that he unit has some kind of hardware energy management system.

In my case it doesn't affect the normal use, since whenever I need a file that is on a disk, it takes a few seconds but then I can access normally. No problems detected on units unmounting, etc. but will report in a few days.

There were some updates yesterday between which one was for the ethernet card. After this update I'm able to set a static IP and commit the changes, so apparently my error was a mix between this issue and the driver.

That does not mean you are not affected. The symtoms you describe are matching the problem described in the link. You may apply the changes via UI and then check the status of the service unit. You may also run journalctl -f while applying the changes in the UI. You will surely see that there is some error when getting the IP address via DHCP. To make it short, the OMV project can not do anything here.

So I'm guessing that if instead of using DHCP I configure a static IP the configuration should apply without problems?

Maybe you are affected by a systemd bug. See https://www.openmediavault.org/?p=3492

I have checked this but the service is running apparently...

To me it looks ok. DNS 9.9.9.9 has been set and DHCP has delivered the IP address 192.168.137.246.

What is not working right now? Does name resolution does not work?

Sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly before.

It is working correctly, the problem comes when I try to modify this DNS or deactivate WOL, either via GUI or omv-firstaid. I loose connection and the changes don't apply, I only regain connection (the IP shows again in my network) if I force a reset by disconnecting power.

In my initial setup I activated WOL and put 9.9.9.9 in my dns.

I now want to modify that, basically deactivate WOL and change the DNS server, but everytime I try to do it through the GUI or omv-firstaid, I loose the connection and the changes won't apply.

I have to force the reset of the computer and then the changes revert back and I can connect.

This computer has also a wifi card that I've tried to configure as a fallback for this, but trying to configure it also fails.

Any clues?

OMV has its own backup option (System/backup) for the system disks. I recommend choosing the "fsarchiver" method since it offers the best compression and the easiest restore process. For more info on that restore process you can read this: https://www.fsarchiver.org/quickstart/

For any other sources you can use the Rsync plugin under Services (not sure if you have to activate it first from "plugins").

I usually keep my Raspberry updated with the last software, but don't pay much attention to the firmware and bootloader. For example, my installed bootloader is from a year ago and there is already a newer version.

Is it recommended to always have the last one?

Is omv tested with the default or latest versions?

Yes, changing the policy works, I am trying the "first found" one and definitely writes the data on another disk, but it's not the behaviour I'm looking for. I still want the disks to be filled starting with the most used. I assume that there is an error with how the "Least Free Space" policy works (at least on my install since others like gderf seem to have no problem).

That's the policy I use here and I have no problems with it.

fstab entry looks like this:

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e29462df-9d77-495a-9fdc-805a64c67c73:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-c9e7f9f5-1c38-40a5-9793-9806425d13cd:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-0382f6c2-c86f-42c8-a3d2-b1277422a9a6              /srv/8043bfca-80c1-4870-a849-9176f9c8bfd6        fuse.mergerfs   defaults,allow_other,cache.files=off,use_ino,category.create=lfs,minfreespace=20G,fsname=megadisco:8043bfca-80c1-4870-a849-9176f9c8bfd6,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e29462df-9d77-495a-9fdc-805a64c67c73,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-c9e7f9f5-1c38-40a5-9793-9806425d13cd,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-0382f6c2-c86f-42c8-a3d2-b1277422a9a6     0 0

I can't see anything wrong but Im, not an expert really.