Beiträge von SeanMiddleton

I assume that folder is generated by the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin. This shouldn't be a problem. What is the size of that folder?

The /folder2ram folder is very small (13M), so I left it alone. The big one is the /log folder and this is the one thats filled up the disk. It was 215G !. I deleted a few of the very large logs and now I can log into the GUI OK. The /log folder is now down to 85G there are a lot of files and folders in /log but I'm not sure which if any I shoudl delete . In the longer term though I need to understand why/what is filling up the /log folder like this. The really laerge log file is 'syslog'. Its around 85G and too large to use an editor to see whats in it, so I deleted it. Later when the new log is re-created I will use the editor to take a look at whats filling it

Many thanks for that link chente. I followed the link instructions and identified the /var folder as the culprit (i.e. very large, 215Gb). I listed the folders in /Var and I see a folder called 'folder2ram', Should this folder be here ? Inside the 'folder2ram' folder I see what appear to be duplicates of a number of the other folders in the /var

The largest folder in /var is the /log folder. This is 213 Gb, so clearly this is the culprit !! I will use my SSH tool (Bitvise) to go in and delete a few large logs and see what happens.

Hi All

I cannot log into the conslole GUI. My intial thought was browser cahce issue so ai cleared caceh and tried 3 browsers. All cannot log in. Next I did dh -H and noted that one of the partitions (/dev/sdb2) on the 'system' drive (eMMC) is full. I've seen this happen before; when the partition if full you cannot log into teh console. Any deias on how to clean up /dev/sdb2 in order to free up space ? Or at least how to list teh files in /dev/sdb2 so that I can take a look and delete anythinying erroneus......

Output of df -H pasted below:

root@omvnuc-162:~# df -H

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

udev 4.1G 0 4.1G 0% /dev

tmpfs 812M 98M 715M 12% /run

/dev/sdb2 234G 234G 0 100% /

tmpfs 4.1G 0 4.1G 0% /dev/shm

tmpfs 5.3M 0 5.3M 0% /run/lock

tmpfs 4.1G 0 4.1G 0% /tmp

/dev/sdb1 536M 6.1M 530M 2% /boot/efi

/dev/sda1 17T 12T 4.8T 71% /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-2291d5dc-b163-4898-a7e4-9b3511a0f1a9

folder2ram 4.1G 0 4.1G 0% /var/tmp

folder2ram 4.1G 652k 4.1G 1% /var/lib/openmediavault/rrd

folder2ram 4.1G 1.2M 4.1G 1% /var/spool

folder2ram 4.1G 14M 4.1G 1% /var/lib/rrdcached

folder2ram 4.1G 4.1k 4.1G 1% /var/lib/monit

folder2ram 4.1G 29k 4.1G 1% /var/cache/samba

tmpfs 812M 0 812M 0% /run/user/0

Many thanks

Sean

I'm running OMV on an Odroid H3+ with 8GB of RAM (Intel(R) Celeron(R) N5095 @ 2.00GHz), so I doubt theres a RAM problem. OMV Dashboard sees the full 8GB OK ; typically using less than 2GB). I can boot the same machine using a Gparted USB stick no problem.

Version

6.5.0-3 (Shaitan)

Kernel

Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.7-amd64

I'm on OMV 6. I installed the kernel and Gparted plugins no problem. In 'System/Kernel' I selected Gparted live and then used the icon to select 'Reboot to Gparted live once'. I then attached a keyboard/screen to my OMV server and rebooted. The boot screen shows various Debian, Debian recovery, memory test and finally the Gparted boot option (bottom of list). I use the arrow to scroll down to Gparted and hit return to boot into Gparted. But, as it boots I see an 'insufficient memory' mesage and a 'must load kernel first message' . Gparted doesnt start. I reboot and select the top of the boot options list (Debian 11.....). It then boots back into OMV fine. EXCEPT (I think this may be unique to my setup) I cannot load the OMV console GUI in my browser, it just sits there forever saying 'Loading...'. This happens the same in both Chrome and Edge. I eventually tracked this down to cached images in both Edge and Chrome. Clearing the image cache cured the problem. I only added the cahce issue to this post in case it helps others.

My reason for posting is to try and get a solution to the Gparted problem

I know there are a lot of posts dealing with installing and settign up the new compose plugin and discussing the loss/new install of portainer. To save people wading through though loads of posts I thought I'd just publish the 16 steps required to do this. Based on OMV6. Also the YouTube video at

is a really good guide:

16 STEPS:

1. Update OMV from System/Update Management/Updates
    2. Go to System/Plugins and install the openmediavault-compose plugin
    3. Go to Storage/Shared Folders and Create a new shared folder called compose on your shared data drive (typically dev/sda)
    4. You can leave the file mode as Administrator:read/write……………………………. (I usually change this to Everyone read write)
    5. Go to Services/Compose/Settings and in the shared folder pulldown select compose (takes a while to save this change)
    6. Go to Services/Compose/Files and select the ‘Add from example’ icon (second from left. The ‘+’ sign)
    7. Scroll down the list to portainer and select it. I found the portainer one worked fine. I didn’t need the portainer-omvextras.. version
    8. Name it ‘portainer’ (or whatever you wish) in the Name field
    9. Now open a terminal (using PuTTy, Bitvise etc) and type docker container stop portainer
    10. Then type docker container rm portainer (this removes the ‘old’ portainer)
    11. Exit the terminal
    12. Go to Services/Compose/Files and select the ‘up’ icon (upwards pointing arrow inside a circle)
    13. Go to Services/Compose/Containers and you will see portainer running. You can click on the underlined 9000…. port to open its GUI
    14. Log into the new portainer with your chosed user/paswd
    15. Any other containers you had running before installing compose should still be there and running
    16. There are many example docker install files to choose from if you want to add more stuff (step 6)

There's a company here in Vietnam called FADO (fado.vn). They basically are a piggyback online shopping on Amazon.com and a number of similar others around the world. It searches for your product from all of these sources/countries and adds in customs/i,mport charges etc You choose your product and order online; just like Amazon etc. You can sometimes get good deals becasue they source globally and they handle all import/customs hassles and deliver to your door. When I chose the EXOS I think it was sourced from UK. UK was the cheapest at the time

Just a quick update re the failed Seagate EXOS. I didn’t have much luck with Seagate local office in Vietnam . The 18TB isn’t sold in Vietnam, so they couldn’t help directly. However, they pointed me to Seagate’s US support site and after a very lengthy email dialogue which involved me performing numerous tests, directed by Seagate US, they eventually agreed the drive had a mechanical fault which was warrantable. I dropped the faulty drive off at Seagate Vietnam and I’m supposed to receive a replacement from them in 2 weeks’ time. I wasn’t able to recover any of the data from the faulty drive despite attempting using Seagate’s tool and also Disk Drill software. So, in the end not an entirely bad outcome and I would use EXOS drives again.

It's not Mastercard or Paypal because I've used those hundreds of times for online overseas and domestic purchases here in Vietnam. That includes from Germany, many times. Perhaps the particular payment portal the site uses has this restriction?? If so perhaps a good idea to have an alternative. I have to wonder what other countries are similarly blocked

OMV is an incredible product, I’ve recommended it to many friends. IMPORTANTLY though I have tried many times to make a donation but each time I try when I enter my card details (Vietnam based Mastercard) the page comes back with “Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country” (my country is Vietnam). Please fix this guys because I really would like to make a donation.

I have two Exos 12TB drives that I bought four years ago. One started going bad after one year (around 9000 hours). Seagate replaced it without any problems. No problems since then.

I live in Vietnam and it’s difficult to get hold of large HDD's here, so I import from wherever is the lowest price. Seagate have a manufacturing and service centre here in Vietnam so I contacted them about how to go about the warranty exchange (drive is less than 1 year old). Seagate’s response was astonishing, basically they said I have to return it to Seagate in the country where it was purchased from. That’s very difficult (and expensive) to do from here because VN customs are, let’s just say difficult. I would have all sorts of problems getting the replacement back into VN and I would have to pay numerous duties and charges. I have to say I'm appalled at Seagate’s poor service. As far as I was aware the 5Y warranty is international (as it should be). A quick internet scan reveals that the EXOS drives appear to be less reliable than others. Lesson learned for me, I’ll never buy another Seagate; WD and Japanese for me going forwards.

I have backups of most of the content (3 or 4 weeks out of date), so its not the end of the world. I’ve got the drive being scanned right now using some software called ‘Disk Drill’. Looks like it will take quite some days !! I chose Disk Drill because it supports many file formats, inc. EX4. I’m running it on a Windows machine and it detects the EX4 drive no problem. Let’s see how it goes, hopefully I can recover the few weeks of missing data. Point to perhaps note is that I did have SMART turned on in OMV and I check for updates/messages every 2 or 3 days. I didn’t see any messages relating to SMART issues in the lead up to the failure.

Lastly, a very important one for the OMV team – OMV is an incredible product, I’ve recommended it to many friends. IMPORTANTLY though I have tried many times to make a donation but each time I try when I enter my card details (Vietnam based Mastercard) the page comes back with “Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country”. Please fix this guys because I really would like to make a donation. I’ll make another post separately pointing out the donation issue

Well, checked out the HDD using Seagates utility and it is well and truly trashed. EXOS 18TB with less than 5000 hours use ! It is about a year old and supposedly has a 5Y warranty. Lets see.........I have read a few reports online re poor reliability of EXOS srives. Seems to have some truth in it. Thanks to everyone for your help and support

Post #5 shows that the user has 2 file systems, total. One must be the boot drive, or the OMV instance could not exist. The other filesystem appears to represent a missing, but referenced, data drive. (I can't see how the compose plugin change could be related to a missing filesystem.)

Setting the compose update change aside:
    Determining what happened to the missing filesystem seems to be the key issue in determining "where" the user's data went. I don't believe his data was "deleted". I believe it's on the 2nd drive, with an EXT4 filesystem, that is now missing.

That's all that is possible to know until the user responds with more information about the missing drive.

Precisely correct. The fault seems to be with my HDD (18TB Seagate EXOS), which has done about 4800 hours; as reported by SMART last a looked a few days back. All temperatures are fine with the HDD. The drive shows up in 'Disks' as /dev/sda. In SMART/Devices tab the disk is listed as a device (/dev/sda) and there is the following bulleted list shown under Device Symlinks:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST18000NM000J_WR501VAJ

/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x5000c500ed408141

/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:17.0-ata-1

/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:17.0-ata-1.0

In the Storage/File Systems tab the Status is shown as 'missing'

When I select it on that page and attempt to mount it there is nothing available to mount with the 'File Systems' pull down

When I examine 'Storage/S.M.A.R.T./Devices/Details' the log I see the following:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model: ST18000NM000J

Serial Number: WR501VAJ

LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0ed408141

Firmware Version: SN02

User Capacity: 18,000,207,937,536 bytes [18.0 TB]

Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical

Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm

Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4

SATA Version is: SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s

Local Time is: Sun Jun 18 09:42:03 2023 +07

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

AAM feature is: Unavailable

APM feature is: Unavailable

Rd look-ahead is: Enabled

Write cache is: Enabled

DSN feature is: Unavailable

ATA Security is: Disabled, NOT FROZEN [SEC1]

Read SCT Status failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Wt Cache Reorder: Unknown (SCT Feature Control command failed)

Read SMART Data failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART Status command failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: UNKNOWN!

SMART Status, Attributes and Thresholds cannot be read.

Read SMART Log Directory failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x00:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Read GP Log Directory failed

SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log (GP Log 0x03) not supported

Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

SMART Extended Self-test Log (GP Log 0x07) not supported

Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Selective Self-tests/Logging not supported

SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command failed

Device Statistics (GP/SMART Log 0x04) not supported

Pending Defects log (GP Log 0x0c) not supported

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x11:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Read SATA Phy Event Counters failed

On the face of it it appears to be a problem with the HDD. So, I guess I need to fiugure out a way to examine the HDD further (any ideas beyond Gparted ????). [Update] - I used the e2fsck command at the terminal and sadly I got the bad superblock response . as show below:

root@odroidh3:~# e2fsck -p /dev/sda

e2fsck: Input/output error while trying to open /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4

filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock

is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

or

e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

What is weird about all of this is that this problem occured immedaitelya fter the Update. I fully accept that this could be a pure coincidence, but to me the probability of such a simultanious event is remarkably low. This is especially so since the HDD has done less than 5000 hours; so its on the 'flat' of its bathtub failure curve. The drive seems to spin up fine and makes the usual chatter at power on, whcihi as far as my ears can tell is exactly the same as a normal start-up. I have other EXOS drives that sound exactly the same.

So, in summary I now need to find the best way of doing an exhaustive test on the HDD. Any ideas on which software might be best to do that is much appreciated (Windows preffered)

Lastly, appologies if my original post caused offence. It was'nt intended to be a criticism but if this had been an update related issue, which most people would initially conclude given the simultanious event, then folks would wish to know about it PDQ.

Cheers

Sean

I'm not blaming anybody. I'm simply stating the facts. Which are that all was perfectly fine. I did the update then it wasnt fine.....simple as that. I havent done anything else whatsoever to the server; nothing at all, other than restart it.

All my data is (was ??) stored in \\ODROIDH3\odroidh3\ODROIDH3\ODROIDH3\storage ( as seen Windows) and /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-3cce5dd9-f4ae-4d23-baf7-4b4ba7eb63ff/ODROIDH3/ODROIDH3/storage (as seen by Bitvise/Putty).

Before the update I had many folders/files in that location but since the update I now have only 4 folders.

Again, since update, my Logitech Media Server Container has 'lost' all its preferences and no longer ses any music. The Container itself though is still working

The OMV Dashboard now shows File Systems as "Missing" and '"dev/mmcblk0p2 26.85 GiB"

I have no idea what has happened. Prior to the update all worked fine but during the update process the GUI stalled and I had to reboot Chrome browser.

I have just noticed that on the GUI File Systems tab what used to be my EXT4 data disk is now show as "Missing". Also, since Compose was installed the "SharedFolders" tabe now has a compose folder listed and there are two additional folders. The page looks like the attached:

So, it looks like the update has somehow rearragnged Shared Folders and File Systems

This is weird. I have no idea where to go from here

I just did an Update of my OMV 6., using the GUI as usual Prior to the update it was working fine. After the update virtually all of my files/folders are no longer there. They seem to have been deleted. The Dashboard shows my HDD as now only 5GB used, whereas before the update I had used about 15GB (I use large HDD's). This is a major concern !!

I noted that since the recent update where Docker Compose (which installed fine) was added that the machine has been a little odd.; there seem to be many more updates listed than is usually the case.

Why on earth did the OMV team drop Portainer ? It was a superb Container management and App tool. A very regressive move in my opinion ( I know I can still access it on port 9000)

ANybody got any ideas what may have happened ? I hope the latest update packages are not bugged and there has been a mass wipe of peoples data !

Help

Sean

Ive installed OMV (5 and 6) on Asrock Q1900, J5040, J5005 and ASUS J1900/J1800 mini ITX boards with no issues. Also on RPi4 and no problems. I'm running an RPi4 with 18TB HDD attached and it works fine. My most interestnig play is with a Beelink U59 NUC (CPU = N5040). On this I used a SATA socket extention cable so that I could attach a 16TB HDD (seperately powered). The U59 works very well, it is very low power and runs very cool. Interestingly I had problems installing OMV6 on the NUC but OMV5 instalaled no problem. I reckon the NUC approach is the best way forward these days. Only down side is they mostly only have 1 SATA port, but for me thats fine I just use big HDD's.

omv-firstaid seems to take quite a few minutes to run and when it completes if gives the message below (in the case of the web GUI update option)

Updating web control panel settings. Please wait ...

ERROR: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable

.message

Other options I've tried in in omv-firstaid seem to work OK

I've tried various port numbers. other than 80 Same problem

Same problem here but editing /etc/resolv.conf wasn't necessary because 8.8.8.8 and my main router IP were correctly listed. I'm stuck ?? SSH access to CLI works fine and omv-firstaid isn't able to set the GUI port to 80 (it was at 80 anyway, I just thought a refresh might help) but omv-firstaid just returns 'ERROR: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable'..............I'm stumped