Can't Install ZFS

• Whenever I try to install the ZFS plugin, I run into errors, many errors.

Restarting engine daemon ...
    Setting up zfs-dkms (0.6.5.9-2~bpo8+1) ...
    Loading new zfs-0.6.5.9 DKMS files...
    Building for 3.16.0-4-amd64
    Module build for kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64 was skipped since the
    kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    Setting up libuutil1linux (0.6.5.9-2~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up libnvpair1linux (0.6.5.9-2~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up libzpool2linux (0.6.5.9-2~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up libzfs2linux (0.6.5.9-2~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86 (4.9.18-1~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-common (4.9.18-1~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up linux-kbuild-4.9 (4.9.18-1~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (4.9.18-1~bpo8+1) ...
    /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms:
    cp: cannot stat '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.9/build/spl_config.h': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.9/build/module/Module.symvers': No such file or directory
    Setting up linux-headers-amd64 (4.9+79~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up zfsutils-linux (0.6.5.9-2~bpo8+1) ...
    Job for zfs-import-scan.service failed. See 'systemctl status zfs-import-scan.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
    Job for zfs-mount.service failed. See 'systemctl status zfs-mount.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
    Job for zfs-share.service failed. See 'systemctl status zfs-share.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
    Setting up zfs-zed (0.6.5.9-2~bpo8+1) ...
    Setting up openmediavault-zfs (3.0.18) ...
    modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found.
    dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-zfs (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u4) ...
    Processing triggers for openmediavault (3.0.75.1) ...
    Restarting engine daemon ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     openmediavault-zfs
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    <<< *************************************

The "*************** Error ***************" bit just keeps repeating. The system log is then filled with repeating timezone errors like May 14 13:35:07 Music-1 omv-engined[6876]: Unknown or unsupported timezone [tz=US/Pacific]

I have spent days trying to figure out OMV and most of that time was wasted because of my own stupidity but I just reinstalled OMV. This one is not on me. If I can't get the ZFS plugin installed, I can't use OMV.

I can attach the full logs if anyone needs them.

• Hello @milfaddict

Here is the full log. zfsinstall.txt

I don't know how to do SSH.

Do I type "apt-get install spl-dkms" into the CLI?

Yes, you have to type it into the CLI. You can start the ssh service from the omv webui, if it is not already done (by default?).

If you use windows on your client you can install putty to connect to port 22 (ssh) of your omv host.

Module build for kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64 was skipped since the kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

Which kernel are you running? You miss the headers for 3.16. Maybe it helps to install them. What is the output of "uname -r" from the command line?

My way to install zfs:

- setup omv3
    - install omv-extras plugin
    - install proxmox kernel (4.4lts) by omv webui within the omv-extras tab
    - set proxmox kernel as the default boot kernel by omv webui within the omv-extras tab
    - reboot to load the proxmox kernel
    - install the openmediavault-zfs plugin

Let us know about the result.

It should also work with kernel 4.9. But the last time I tried to install zfs with kernel 4.9, I had problems with unsolved dependencies. Proxmox kernel does a great job.

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Everything seems to be working!!! Thanks!

When I typed apt-get install spl-dkms, I got...

I chose No since it didn't seem like I needed to do this.

When I typed uname -r I got 3.16.0-4-amd64

Nothing you said about SSH still makes any sense to me.

Anyways.. It worked! I got ZFS installed and I am ready to start rocking OMV.

Lastly, I just want to make sure I understand this before I continue.

My goal is to create a RAID-Z3 pool with 3 vdevs consisting of 12x6TB drives.

So as I understand it. I would create the zpool with 12 drives and then expand it with 12 more drives and then again with the last 12, right?

• Everything seems to be working!!! Thanks!

When I typed apt-get install spl-dkms, I got...

I chose No since it didn't seem like I needed to do this.

Ok, you choosed "no". So you did nothing. spml-dkms was already installed.

You have 124 packages hold back. Before you begin with zfs you should solve to install these packages.

When I typed uname -r I got 3.16.0-4-amd64

Did you install the missing headers for this kernel? There is a dependency between kernel headers and the zfs plugin. I really don't understand how you got it to work.

Nothing you said about SSH still makes any sense to me.

Crazy...

Anyways.. It worked! I got ZFS installed and I am ready to start rocking OMV.

Whatever you did, congratulations!

Bye Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ok, you choosed "no". So you did nothing. spml-dkms was already installed.

You have 124 packages hold back. Before you begin with zfs you should solve to install these packages.

I don't understand but OK. Should I retype that command and choose Yes?

Zitat von hoppel118

Did you install the missing headers for this kernel? There is a dependency between kernel headers and the zfs plugin. I really don't understand how you got it to work.

I didn't install any headers. I just installed the proxmox kernel per your instructions and everything is working. I didn't get any errors during the ZFS plugin install.

If still need to install these headers, someone is going to need to walk me trough it because I am illiterate with CLI's. Is there an easy way to check if these headers are already installed?

Zitat von hoppel118

Whatever you did, congratulations!

Thanks! You seemed to have completely ignored my last question which is rather important. Can you please confirm?

• I don't understand but OK. Should I retype that command and choose Yes?

You don't know anything about ssh. So, it's hard for me to tell you, what to do.

You should do something like it is described here in this thread, but you need a command line for this:

http://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/thread/18259

But maybe there is another way: Go to the update manager in the omv webui. You should see the 124 update packages. Try to install them all at once or if this doesn't work one after the other. You should install all the updates before you start with zfs.

I didn't install any headers. I just installed the proxmox kernel per your instructions and everything is working. I didn't get any errors during the ZFS plugin install.

If still need to install these headers, someone is going to need to walk me trough it because I am illiterate with CLI's. Is there an easy way to check if these headers are already installed?

Ok, great. I simply didn't know what you did. No, you don't need to install these kernel headers if it works for you with the proxmox kernel. Proxmox kernel headers are installed now.

Thanks! You seemed to have completely ignored my last question which is rather important. Can you please confirm?

No, I can't, because I don't know. Ask your question in the following thread:

http://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/thread/7633

Greetings Hoppel

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• You are welcome. Bye

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!