[SOLVED] installing Intel gigabit ethernet card

• What do I have to do from the server its self to get this going? boot from cd and reconfigure network settings? I was told intel based cards should work. its a pci-e card on a dual core pentium system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you leave the original nic in there, you can just add the new card and configure it using the web interface. Then remove/turn off the old card and everything should just work. I actually did this on my home server the other day using an Intel pci-e card. If you want the same ip address, you may have to assign a temporary address to the new card until you can access the web interface using that card.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yep, but you don't need to...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you sure another device isn't using 192.168.1.151? I wouldn't set the IP inside the DHCP range unless you set a static DHCP address.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Glad you got it fixed.

I assign a static IP for most things, if I can, outside the range, above or below my DHCP. I keep the DHCP small (x.x.x.200 to .220) and set the allowed DHCP IP by MAC.

This way I set the router, wireless access point in the .2 to .49 range. Servers, printers, TV's in the .50 to .99 range. Computers, wireless, game systems, in the .100 to .149 range. And things without a static IP in the .200 to .220 range.

I'm also thinking about doing this https://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm to set up a server/guest system. This way when my son or I have friends over with their systems they only connect through the "External NAT". The reason for putting the OMV server on the "External NAT" as well, is it has web access with Plex and Owncloud. And should it get hacked, the hackers/bots/malware/viruses should still not be able to "Island Hop" to the "Internal NAT". Keeping the things on the "Internal NAT" side safe.

And if you do any computer repair, virus cleaning and so forth for family and friends, putting their stuff on the "External NAT" will/should also keep the things on the "Internal NAT" safe.

Sorry. Got off topic.

• For what ever reason I still haven't gotten anything over 100mbps speeds. Drives me nuts. Also My router likes to reboot when transferring large files to my OMV box. So I was messing with the cables between the router and box as the router has been to asus twice and both times they've said its okay and I actually got a different router and still the same issue. the way I have it set up to the box is a 50' cat 6 from router to wall plate and then a connector/wall plate to a 1' cat 6 cable. So I did away with the wall plate and extra 1' cable and my speeds dropped more. Wirelessly I was getting 4-5MB/s now I get 1.5MB/s wtf? So I was looking in the OMV settings and found the "options" if you go in to edit the network config settings. and there was a link sending you to http://linux.die.net/man/8/ethtool Is any of that useful? Do I have to change any settings?

No idea why my speed dropped when I really didnt' do squat. I've rebooted the box, router, and computer multiple times and still same 1.5MB/s speeds. When with that wall plate / connector and extra 1' of cable I was getting 4-5MB/s. No other changes. Any help would be great.

after all that I was playing with the "option" settings in networks and think I borked it all up I put speed in there to see if it would show me speed and now it won't connect.. oops lol

• Just out of curiosity have you tried a different or replaced the fifty foot cable? Because it sounds like it could be acting up with your description of the wall plate and short cable. It could be as simple as a bad connector.

Or, where is the router and what are the cables routed near? I'm thinking EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) Are they over the top of a fluorescent light (transformer inside) very near a large electric motor (AC/heat, washer/dryer). Near a speaker, as they have magnets. Do they run next to a power line for any distance. I remember with my Commodore 64/128's that you could not put the disk drives to the left side of the monitor because of the monitors transformer as it would cause the drive not to work. Even shielded lines can and will pick up noise if the noise is strong enough.

• To get the network settings reset on your OMV box you could try OMV-Firstaid.

• The too long fifty foot cable, was the extra length left in a coil? It too could cause it's own EMI.

Repairing/making cables is not hard if you are handy. Do a search and see if it is something you could do. I know though sometimes it's just easier to go buy one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've seen the passthrough connectors slow things down but never speed it up :) Very strange.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!