After flashing OMV image for Raspberry Pi 3 nothing happend

• OMV 3.x
    • After flashing OMV image for Raspberry Pi 3 nothing happend

Hello everybody,

I'm new and I want to use a Raspberry Pi 3 as a NAS. So I try to use OMV_3_0_99_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.80 unzipped it and flashed it with etcher on my sdhc 32 GB class 10.
      After successful flashin it put the card into my Raspberry Pi 3, connect it with LAN, and connect a external 3 GB usb hard drive with external power supply and connect the Pi with the usb power supply.
      Nothing happend! no LAN led no drive activity, only rhe red power led on the Pi switched on.
      I tried the same with Raspian and everthing works fine. I have connection with my router and the usb hard drive is detected.

What I'm doing wrong?

Ahnungsloser
    • Check the SD card with h2testw and follow the instruction on the download side of OMV. No need to unzip the image. Etcher will do that.
      sourceforge.net/projects/openm…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:

The post was edited 1 time, last by macom ().

• How long did you wait before you gave up?
      "OpenMediaVault for Raspberry Pi 2B, 3B and 3B+
      Write the .img.xz image in a single step using Etcher etcher.ioto SD card. On first boot the installation will be finished. REMAIN PATIENTPLEASE since this can take up to 40 minutes with a slow SD card and slowinternet connection (needs internet access to update all packages to latestversion). After one automatic reboot SD card activity led stops blinking andthen your Raspberry Pi is ready!"
    • Nypan sr wrote:

How long did you wait before you gave up?
      His precise description 'no LAN led no drive activity, only rhe red power led on the Pi switched on' is a clear indication of the image not booting at all. Can be caused by corrupted image on the SD card or under-voltage or USB interferences (when the RPi's proprietary closed source 'firmware' detects an USB mass storage device it tries to boot from it)

The best idea is to download the image, then compare MD5 or SHA1 hashes, then burn directly with Etcher without decompressing the image. If Etcher reports success the image should boot (with network connected, preferably nothing else)
    • Who can read is clearly in the advantage :D

After reading the readme correctly and flashing the .xz file in a single step, my Raspberry does what he has to do.
      Now I try to get access to it. I have assigned a fixed IP address and now I make the next step.

Thanks at all an sorry for my newbie mistake.

Ahnungloser
    • macom wrote:

For some reasons. However, there are many RPi user in the forum.
      That is because people buy it since it is well known and cheap before researching the decision.
      omv 4.1.17 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • I had more or less the same Problem but i flashed on a USB-Stick since the new rpi 3+ can boot from usb or at least he can with rasbian.. sadly it doesnt work witht he omv immage ... and i tryd both versions with and without unzipping.
      I wanted 2 run the immage from usb since i heard that the sd cards break down after 1-2 years due 2 the constant writing usage in a rpi so i didnt flashed a sd card till now has anyone experience with sd cards breaking down after some time?
    • vivalablub wrote:

I wanted 2 run the immage from usb since i heard that the sd cards break down after 1-2 years due 2 the constant writing usage in a rpi
      I guess you heard this in RPi forum? Those RPi guys try really hard to keep their users clueless.

With SD cards the most important part is TO CHECK FOR COUNTERFEIT CARDS directly after purchase. This has to be step N°1 since fake/counterfeit cards wear out at least thousand times earlier than genuine SD cards where real and advertised capacity is the same.

Then it's all about 'write amplification' and the OMV image does a great job reducing write amplification and writes in general to a minimum. A good and genuine SD card is always the better idea compared to some USB pendrive. But of course in Raspberry land they'll tell you the opposite.

Further readings (check especially the links at the top of the first post and there 'Edit 4' and 'Edit 5'): forum.armbian.com/topic/954-sd-card-performance/

Good luck!
    • thanks for the info, i put the image on a sd card no and it seems to be working .. or at least its doing something XD with the usb it only showed an error code so i guess omv just cant be booted from usb which in my case would still have been better bcause the only sd card i have is an verbatim 16gb with pretty low speed i think but ill 1st see if it works and get a better card then.

The post was edited 1 time, last by vivalablub: AAaaaand i have the next problem XD when it boots up and i have 2 fill in raspberrypi login and password i can fill in the login : admin but i cant fill in the password neither from my usb keyboard nor over ssh from my laptop ... any guessed what went wrong or did i missread something ().

• vivalablub wrote:

so i guess omv just cant be booted from usb

There's a file called cmdline.txt. We reference there 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p2' but when booting from USB it should read 'root=/dev/sda2'. Of course /etc/fstab needs to be adjusted too. A better idea is to make use of UUIDs (that's what Raspbian is doing) so once you got it booted you might change that again.

I thought about this change a while ago but the Raspberry Pi platform is just not worth the efforts (too slow and unreliable).
    • @tkaiser
      I am so confused right now XD ..
      1.st i finally logged in on omv i dont know what was wrong and why the password kept being blank or what changed but i think its working now.
      2. in Your text for the installation you said it would need 10-40 mins. depending on the sd card and the internet .. mine was done after like 5 .. max.
      did something go wrong? and if not does that mean that my sd card is actually that fast? bcause i guess i wouldnt swap it for an usb stick then since u said sd cards work just fine as long as their cality checks out.
      3. i checked out what u wrote about changing it 2 usb boot.. ( im a total noob in pragramming and this stuff, i also wrote u a little massage this morning about some advise but i guess u just get 2 many of them XD )
      i found the cmdline.txt and the root...etc. but i didnt found the /etc/fstab .. and dont get me started about the uuids i had 2 google it XD

and thx for all the work ur putting in here and helping me out so much
      btw i saw someone wrote u in German on ur Guestbook thingi if u are German .. i am 2 maybe it makes the communication easier
    • You need to be patient, the board reboots once and when you then log in OMV should display that you are on kernel 4.14.30. If you're still at 4.9.80 something went wrong.

Still my advice is to get a good A1 rated SD card (eg. SanDisk Ultra A1) -- see the link in my last post above.

For USB booting /etc/fstab needs to be adjusted and that is on the 2nd ext4 formatted partition (which usually is not accessible if you're not already running Linux). So USB booting will be troublesome anyway without some Linux experience...

This is different on all other ARM SBC supported by OMV. There you can simply use nand-sata-install to transfer the installation to an USB or SATA disk or to onboard eMMC.