OMV on a dell poweredge 2950

• Hello everyone, i hope you all had a pleasant christmas if thats your bag.

I am tempted by the price of quad core poweredges, and wondered if omv can be installed on one of these?

It will probably have two processors, 16 gig ram and 6 sata drives, qould there be anything to consider or should i be looking at other software?

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV runs great on those systems. I run OMV on a PowerEdge SC1430 (dual quad - 4 drive software raid) and a PowerEdge 2900 III (dual quad - 8 drive perc5i).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

They sure are cheap for the power. I have one coming as soon as ups gets it here, its been in there system since the 20th. Get a series 3 for sure. (look for the 54xx processor I think if not stated otherwise) It is way over powered for OMV. I plan to use it to run qemu-kvm vms and maybe omv.

The storage is kind of limited due to sas drives. They are fast and reliable but small and expensive. To use an sata drive on the 3.5 version you need an interposer and only get 6 bays. Good news there are 2 sata port on the mother board. Just have to fake some way to get them mounted and powered. The 8 bay 2.5 version may not have that requirement, Will let you know if I ever get it. LOL

The other thing to think about is the power draw if it is on 24/7 at home. And they are noisy!! You should be able to koble dell management software to monitor it too.

• Kewl thanks for that.

I have two micros servers running at the moment, with 8 drives so figure with them gone the power will be about on par.

As for noise, it lives in the garage with the rabbit, it could sound like a plane for all I care!

I wonder if you can hook up a raid arry type thing to it? I would love an apple xserve and raid array but thats still silly money.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can probably use one of these. Altho I have not researched it yet. Probably just need the cards and cables to go with the 2950. Heck I might even go that way someday. But make sure it will take your sata drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-P…rrays&hash=item233404918c

That will probably keep the rabits warm in the winter too. LOL

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well it finally arived. UPS was way overloaded. lol Looks like sata drives will work with a small bit of testing. There is a lot of conflicting info out there. Some say no problem others say don't mix sas and sata. Some say you need the interposer some say not. They will physically fit. That is about as far as I have gotten.

There is power going to the cd that could be tapped to power the internal sata and enough room to velcro them out of the way. Good for a small os drive. And it is not as loud as I thought but the rabit has better hearing than I. The onboard video is a bit weak but not an issue for OMV.

• Zitat von "donh"

I assume you mean 2.5 not 3.5. They will fit. I can test if it works later. If you need 3.5 you need to get the 6 bay version.

Sorry for that being confusing, what I'm getting at is - will 3.5 inch drives fit into the 8 bay 2950?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No they won't. And there is no way to get anymore than 6 3.5 drives in the 6 bay (I have one).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are 2 internal sata connectors and power could be tapped from the cd connector. You could make some kind of bracket and mount them in there somewhere. But it would be best to get the 6 bay. They make bracket to mount 2.5 drives to the PCI card screw down. http://www.newegg.com/Product/….aspx?Item=9SIA1DS0FR8898

Not sure how we'll that would work with the dell tool less plastic clips.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!