Tester wanted: Does the Python-based UPnP/DLNA server work on your devices?

• Hi

After TVs get more and more powerful since 2012 I'm currently developing an Open Source software based on Python. It should not only be a UPnP/DLNA server but I would like to stream (in the future) the whole MediaCenter interface to the TV's browser. Therefore a PC would no longer be needed in the living room to access the media in the local network. Of course control of UPnP devices are possible with mobile devices as well as the device's input elements.

Currently I'm seeking for feedback. I'm looking for devices where the software works, problems exist or maybe special attention is needed. The software itself and a user guide is available on the web page. Based on your feedback both are still in development and surely could be better for installation.

Whoever seeks for an challange and wants to try something new I would invite to give it a try. Currently NAS devices are not supported platforms but that's something I would like to change. Who don't want to use an e-mail address for registration might want to use a Google account. Otherwise you can find a contact form under "Legal Disclosure".

Thanks in advance
    Tobias

PS.: Recommended is a installation under Linux with Python >=2.7, SQLAlchemy >=0.8, pyinotify und GStreamer>=1.0 including the Python bindings for GObject Introspection. The software has been tested under Microsoft Windows Vista as well. The firewall will pop-up on first execution of Python.

Beside the integrated SQLite3 database PostgreSQL is supported.

PPS.: In the future I would like to support NAS devices as well. Of course not all devices have enough power for that use. I currently raise money on an Indiegogo campaign to finance such a device for development purposes. It's not a OpenMediaVault based one but this is no statement about running the possibility to run the software on it.

• Not really I guess. I know that this request is posted in multiple boards but I would really appreciate valuable feedback to find out the current limitations. It has been tested on a Philips and a LG TV as well as an simple UPnP radio and a Samsung BluRay player so far but basically that's it.

Let me know if you have additional questions :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the advantages/disadvantages over existing software like minidlna, plex, and twonky?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Right now all three have a richer feature set. That's of course the current largest disadvantage.

The advantage already available today is the underlying programming language and interface. You can not only easily extend it with Python scripts (instead of MiniDLNA and Twonky) but take advantage of the integrated web interface to control the whole setup without third-party tools and implementations.

An additional existing advantage over the former two should be the possibility to integrate additional sources for media in a fast way.

I think Plex will be the main competitor for a while. IMHO the advantage over Plex is the Open Source structure of the project. There should be no requirement for something like MyPlex or PlexPass.

In the future I want to add SmartTV based apps for functions like programming recordings and showing IMDb based additional information in a sleek web interface. This will also be available for tablets and mobile devices too.

• I would like to stream (in the future) the whole MediaCenter interface to the TV's browser.

I'm using two Samsung-"Smart"-TVs. I deactivated the web-connection for data-protection-reason. Of course I could stream - but I don't know if the TV-Browser will work without that. But put that by side. The browser is crap. You can better add a small device like a NUC, Zotac or whatever. You got better security, faster browsing. I can't wait so see one of the new Broadwell-NUCs, which should arrive at the beginning of 2015.

• Hi Dennis

It's important for me that this doesn't matter at all. I will be glad to support XBMC for example and maybe add features they need for their media browser as well. LG's browser by the way works really good and it works even if you deactive other "Smart" functions. I'm pretty sure that even Samsung will work on their browser in new series for better supporting Netflix, Hulu etc. needs. Maybe I can take advantage of that work too.

• They got Apps for that and don't use the browser.

As far as I know the latest Samsung Smart TV SDK emphasizes the use of HTML5 based "apps" which run in a browser container. But I think this is a question that needs to be clarified later on e.g starting at which version a Samsung App is better than the native (sometimes broken) DLNA implementation or use a XBMC based solution. :)

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!