openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

Hi All.
    Total noob so some dumb questions.

Am looking for a simple system to connect to a home LAN with an external drive to store files and backups for 2 home PCs.

Having a folder or partition for media files would also be an advantage.

I have a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint for my 3D printer, but no real experience with Pi's

Questions :
    Is the OpenMediaVault a complete OS for the Pi ?
    Does the Pi need another OS on it's SD card to boot from ?

Can the OS be run from the SD card so I can change / swap the external hard drives at any time ?
    Can OMV on the Pi be accessed over the LAN from my Win8 PC so the Pi does not need a keyboard or monitor ?

Am sure there are more questions, but just trying to understand the basics of what OMV actually is ( in non-technical terms )
  • New

My SBC suddenly only boots in CLI.

Source Code

1. [ 30.650663] D: [File] : drivers/gpu/arm/mali400/mali/platform/rk/rk.c; [Line] : 623; [Func] : mali_platform_device_init(); to add platform_specific_data to platform_device_of_mali.
    2. [ 30.6595381 mali-utgard ff300000.gpu: Failed to get leakage
    3. [ 30.6678171 mali-utgard ff300000.gpu: Failed to get pvtm
    4. [ 30.6782 76] Mali: Mali device driver loaded
    5. [ 30.7729 65] deufreq ff300000.gpu: Couldn't update frequency transition inforMatim
    6. [ 30.830799 ] FAT-fs Cmmcblk1p6): utf8 is not a recoMmended IO charset for FAT file
    7. [ 31.075696] FAT-fs Cmmcblk1p6): Uolume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
    8. [ 33.201216] rk_gMac-dwMac ff540000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow flow control
  • New

I discovered OMV late last week, and have played around with it a bit. I've installed it on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ as well as an Intel motherboard. I've decided to not use it on the Raspberry Pi. On my Intel motherboard, I've installed 4 X 8TB drives, and have played around with various RAID configurations. After reading this forum, I've decided that RAID is not the way to go for me. It is extremely slow to build, and I am just not comfortable with it. At first, I installed OMV on a 32GB USB3 memory stick. Then I read on this forum that this too is a bad idea. Now, I've re-installed OMV on a 500 GB HDD (this is what I have at hand).

My question is simple: If the OMV system disc fails, and I need to re-install OMV, will my data be available after the reinstallation?

Thank you in advance.

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

USB errors when using USB 3.0 external disk and SMART

tkaiser

Reinstallation of OMV - will my data survive?

sweetbb

Activate IPv6 for docker container?

getName()

Docker crashed last night, now it will not start.

pjoyce42

Backing up system disk

jericho

Recent Activities

• tkaiser -

Replied to the thread USB errors when using USB 3.0 external disk and SMART.

Quote from Kaldek: “I googled the heck out of this and can't see any specific reasons why I can't use USB for storage ” Which kernel version and which USB3 device (uname and lsusb)? Rsync error on external usb disk
  • sweetbb -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Reinstallation of OMV - will my data survive?.

Thank you KM0201. That is the answer I was hoping for.
  • getName() -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Activate IPv6 for docker container?.

I am not intending to be disrespectfull by any means, but no, you obviously dont understand it. Of course it is an internal network on the host, still it is bridged. If I understand correctly, you want some kind of net=host with additional assigned ipv6…
  • pjoyce42 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Resolved Docker crashed last night, now it will not start..

I did not find a way to solve this, so I just reinstalled OMV :/
  • jericho -

Replied to the thread Backing up system disk.

• jericho -

Liked Adoby’s post in the thread Backing up system disk.

Like (Post)
    Or just move /var/lib/plexmediaserver to the data drive. And backup the data drive like normal. Or possibly sync/copy /var/lib/plexmediaserver to the datadrive before a backup.
  • chmeee5 -

Replied to the thread Mount fails for nvme disk.

I replaced Armbian with a version of Debian desktop (rockpi4_debian_stretch_lxde_armhf_20181105_2120-gpt.img.gz) then installed OMV plus URbackup. I still get the same error when attempting to mount the nmve drive but was able to mount the drive using…
  • David B -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Migrate NextCloud Installation on OpenMediaVault to Docker.

Success! I managed to migrate everything to Docker! Thanks for the video links!
  • crashtest -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x After restart, can't load web GUI.

Quote from sonofwatt: “I've got to assume those are totally unrelated. ” I agree, it's probably coincidence, but strange things happen. The only thing I could come up with would be ESD damage while removing the cards. But that would be a long shot…
  • sickley -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Failed omv-update, can't install, reinstall, uninstall docker.

Same issue here. Did you ever solve it? I've tried removing docker but anytime i do it just hangs. I can't seem to start or stop the daemon/service either. I'm at the point where I have to re-install omv because i'm unable to find a solution anywhere.