OMV Shutting Down

• I searched the boards, so I apologize if this has been answered.

I notice that lately, every night, my OMV server is shutting down on its own. I am not an expert in Linux. Can anyone help me figure out why? It runs great when I press the power and it comes back online.

Thanks!

• Look in your syslog in OMV webgui.
    Check your computer BIOS settings for PCI-RTC, or something similar.
    And post your PC specs here.

run this commands:
    1. cat /proc/cpuinfo
    2. uname -a
    3. ifconfig -a

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• I'll check the BIOS asap, I am not at that location. However here is the output:

CAT Output:

processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 16
    model : 2
    model name : AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor
    stepping : 2
    microcode : 0x1000095
    cpu MHz : 2199.956
    cache size : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 4
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 4
    apicid : 0
    initial apicid : 0
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 5
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock vmmcall
    bogomips : 4399.91
    TLB size : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

processor : 1
    core id : 1
    apicid : 1
    initial apicid : 1
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock vmmcall
    bogomips : 4400.25

processor : 2
    core id : 2
    apicid : 2
    initial apicid : 2
    bogomips : 4400.14

processor : 3
    core id : 3
    apicid : 3
    initial apicid : 3
    bogomips : 4400.14

Uname Output:
    Linux OpenVault 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.73-2+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:8c:3e:6a:06
    inet addr:192.168.0.32 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:70800 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:37360 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:27770191 (26.4 MiB) TX bytes:12854530 (12.2 MiB)
    Interrupt:41 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:426 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:426 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:63888 (62.3 KiB) TX bytes:63888 (62.3 KiB)

• df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 672G 2.0G 636G 1% /
    udev 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 801M 1.7M 800M 1% /run
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/3fba7da3-4cc9-493e-8e70-b1e5e9e5842f 672G 2.0G 636G 1% /
    tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    tmpfs 4.8G 0 4.8G 0% /run/shm
    /dev/mapper/Home-HomeCloud 917G 1019M 916G 1% /media/f2a0fbd7-f508-4c73-81ce-1cea374c1afd
    /dev/sde1 1.4T 1.2T 182G 87% /media/9C8CB8368CB80CB0
    /dev/mapper/Home-HomeCloud 917G 1019M 916G 1% /export/JasonHome
    /dev/mapper/Home-HomeCloud 917G 1019M 916G 1% /export/AlizaHome

• That is an external 1TB Western Digital USB drive. I use it as a media store for movies.

I setup and formatted the system following the basic setup and then added the USB drive. I found the drive at that mount point because it did not show up any other way.

The drive ran very well on a Boxee Box (linux) and also Windows. I do not recall how it was formatted though, but should that matter?

• Well, drives used on OMV should be in a native linux format, I recommend ext4 on OMV 2.x. I would only mount a NTFS drive temporarily to transfer data. The permissions do not work the same. The media servers that work with OMV really want to read from linux perms (e.g. chmod 755).

Also, if you want to fill your drives beyond 80 percent in OMV you should read that post. You need to adjust the upper threshold so OMV will not be throwing errors above 80 percent. It will flood the logs with errors if you don't. I did not see these in your syslog and it may be because that drive is NTFS.

Did you decide to use LVM or ???? LVM is not east to use for newbies, especially when you face problems. Don't know your skill level but I don't recommend LVM.

I take it that snippet from syslog was before crash???

• Well its not a crash... I just find the machine in an OFF state overnight. It ran well before this. I am a sysadmin, windows trained, so not great on Linux, but I am very familiar with all the components and how they should work.

So far, even with the USB drive using NTFS and even without making the update above 80% (which I did now), the system runs very stable... I just find the machine off in the morning and need to restart it. It's odd. Its like something is causing a shutdown, I just cannot tell what. I can enable remote SSH access if you want to get on the machine itself and take a look.

• I don't think the hdd storage near full capacity causes the OMV to shutdown on its own.
    OMV reboots on shutdown or shutdown by itself could be cause by several reasons... UPS, BIOS settings, modem/router, NIC, overheating, faulty PSU....

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• The log above does not show a shutdown. Those were the last items before you saw all the kernel message when you boot it again last the next day????

I did not imply disk usage was cause of his problems. But it can once the system reach a point where disks cannot be written too. Everyone should be aware that shitloads of error messages are written to the logs once you get passed the threshold that is set . It is always a good idea to get this fixed. We have helped a lot of people that can't enter OMV's Web GUI because of the system drive being too full.

• Yeah... nothing else. I never saw a warning message or other log message. Just 2 days in a row, I find the system offline. The system drive has tons of space, so even if it wrote logs all day, it would not fill up.. but it isn't.

The only thing I can think of, is that it must be from one of the plugins... but I am not sure which one.

• Please supply your kern.log

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Lines 10825-7

Code
    Feb 19 16:10:51 BravermanVault vdr-shutdown: executing /usr/share/vdr/shutdown-hooks/S90.custom as shell script
    Feb 19 16:10:51 BravermanVault shutdown[3389]: shutting down for system halt
    Feb 19 16:10:52 BravermanVault init: Switching to runlevel: 0

;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• You're welcome. ;)

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!