UPS plugin

• Hi
    I have a noob question :)
    I have an APC UPS, I installed the plugin, plugged in the UPS and it looks to work.

But then I have no clue as to how to :
    1. Monitor the data 0 via web interface or someting
    2. Install clients on Windows machines to monitor and/or auto-shutdown the machines.

I found WinNUT, installed it, configured it like
    MONITOR ups@omv 1 ups ups slave
    where ups/ups is the username/password I set up in the plugin, but it says:
    Can't login to UPS [ups@omv]: Access denied

Any ideas, suggestions, other tools? Maybe something more needs to be configured server-side?

• This plugin does not allow your OMV to control/monitor other UPS client machines. I think it only allows your OMV machine's UPS info. to be monitored by remote. How this is done I'm not sure as I've not used this feature. Volker or someone esle will have to answer this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can only monitor the UPS via remote. I used KNutClient and NUT-Monitor without problems, but i can not confirm that it works with Windows tools because i do not have tested this (i do no use Windows anymore).

• is there a issue witht he current nut plugin as since its upgrade mines gone crazy and has sent me 500+ email notifications saying the ups keeps been unreachable and then reachable a second later it didn't do this before.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Zitat von "votdev"

I do not know anything about such issues.

Hmm ill keep a eye on it for now ive disabled the notification setting as its locked out my Hotmail for today.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "chclark"

Hmm ill keep a eye on it for now ive disabled the notification setting as its locked out my Hotmail for today.

Please take some time to digg into the problem if you have the knowledge to do this. If you find out something please open a new bugreport. I can not fix anything if i am not able to reproduce the problem, because of that the project requires the help of its users whenever possible.

• OK I'll hop onto this thread, since I also have problems with the UPS plugin.

My driver configuration looks like that:

Code
    driver=usbhid-ups
    port=auto

So nothing fancy here. If I do start the UPS deamon I get several mails, and the last one always tells me, that communications cannot be established.

So I tried a few commands via ssh:

Code
    root@ax-iscsi-san-1:~# upsdrvctl start
    Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3
    Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.3)
    USB communication driver 0.31
    Can't claim USB device [051d:0002]: could not detach kernel driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
    Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Whereas:

Code
    root@ax-iscsi-san-1:~# upsdrvctl -u root start
    Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3
    Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.3)
    USB communication driver 0.31
    Using subdriver: APC HID 0.95

Works pretty well...

Any ideas?

I should also mention that I see loads of these messages:

Code
    [348680.611902] usb 2-1.2: usbfs: process 19149 (usbhid-ups) did not claim interface 0 before use

And one more addition:
    This happens:

Code
    [349105.857960] upsdrvctl[23431]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fec61e2e2d0 sp 00007fff7240dc28 error 4 in libc-2.11.3.so[7fec61d25000+159000]
    [349108.905238] upsdrvctl[23475]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f808f3702d0 sp 00007fffb8437238 error 4 in libc-2.11.3.so[7f808f267000+159000]
    [349116.071947] upsdrvctl[23491]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fa8559f62d0 sp 00007fff55b6bb58 error 4 in libc-2.11.3.so[7fa8558ed000+159000]

if I force the user to be root in ups.conf

Code
    [general]
    user=root

[ups]
    driver=usbhid-ups
    port=auto

EDIT:

I found a solution for my problem. The version of nut (2.4.3 in squeeze) is too old to support my UPS (APC SmartUPS 1500). I tested it with the packages from wheezy, which install fine on squeeze( don't do this on your OMV installation, it will break many of the scripts!!!!) and now the UPS works as expected.

I'm currently building nut 2.6.5 packages for debian squeeze, which should not break any of the scripts from OMV. Stay tuned.

EDIT 2:

As promised: https://docs.google.com/folder…tU3MzSXc/edit?usp=sharing

For OMV you only need the packages nut, libnutscan1 and libupsclient1. Install via ssh (dpkg -i). Any missing dependencies can be installed via apt-get from the original debian squeeze repositories.

• I don't think that running a deamon as root when unnecessary is a good idea. The problem with the interface is related to the ownership of the USB device. In fact the installation process of nut under openmediavault for some reason doesn't install the necessary udev rules file.

Code
    $ sudo cp /lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-usbups.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
    $ sudo upsdrvctl start

Done that everything is fine with my Eaton Protection Station. Do I have to file a bug?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have three systems all with the same UPS (Cyberpower CP1350) and two work great (Dell PowerEdge T410 and the system in my signature). The other one will not work (Dell PowerEdge 2900). I used your tip and the third now works! I didn't upgrade nut or change how the daemon runs either. I guess I don't understand why the other two work without the file being in /etc/udev/rules.d/?? Udev bug?? Glad it works now and thanks!!

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry guys, when I try to install nut i get this error through ssh:

it seems that the problem consists in:
    invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/ups-monitor not found.

the file ups-monitor indeed doesn't exist in /etc/init.d

If i try to install the plugin (v. 0.4.4) through the webinf I get this error log in the popup message:

any idea to solve? Thanks in advance for your help!

• I'm running 0.4 versino of OMV, thanks tekkbebe for your speedy reply!

Code
    ii  openmediavault                      0.4.31                              Open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring              0.2                                 GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-lvm2                 0.4.2                               OpenMediaVault Logical Volume Manager (LVM2) plugin
    ii  openmediavault-netatalk             0.4.7                               OpenMediaVault netatalk (AppleTalk Protocol Suite) plugin
    iHR openmediavault-nut                  0.4.4                               OpenMediaVault Network UPS Tools (NUT) plugin
    ii  openmediavault-omvpluginsorg        0.4.1+0~1355675019.3~1.gbpe45741    OMV-Plugins.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ii  openmediavault-transmissionbt       0.4+0~1355673075.3~1.gbpf0d8e8      OpenMediaVault Transmission (BitTorrent client) plugin
    ii  openmediavault-virtualbox           0.4.2.1+0~1355672768.12~1.gbp589fd4 OpenMediaVault VirtualBox plugin
  • apt-get clean
    apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-nut
    apt-get -f
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install openmediavault-nut

Try that. There is something wrong with your nut plugin install. Then try it again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!