How many GB needed for OMV ?

• Hello,

after I've got my N40L up and running with OMV on the internal 250GB HD I want to replace
    this drive with an old Notebook 2,5" HD, for mainly two reasons:

1. All 4 bays then are usable for great 3 to 4 TB drives.

2. The System consumes less power. ( I was surprised that with my starting configuration
    my power meter shows 38 W. That is much more then I read in some forums. )

Now I want to know what size is the whole OMV package when installed with all plugins ?

My 2.5" drive has only 4 GB, is this enough ? Is then there also some spare place for
    future expansions ?

THX

• Offizieller Beitrag

Three of my systems are using between 1.2 and 1.4 GB. I have a fourth using a lot more but I have samba home directories enabled with a lot of user files.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• THX @all

votdev

my old NB HD is very slow, only 14Mbit/s internal and 33 Mbit/s external transfer rate.

I think a DOM is at about 10 times faster.

Do you think that will have a dramatic influence for the overall performance of the system ?

Do you think I should better go for a DOM or SSD ?

Is a DOM safer than a USB stick ? It's also just a silicon drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For a file server, the old NB HD would be fine. Although I wouldn't use one, many people have used a usb stick that probably has worse transfer rates.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh, didn't noticed the Mbits. I think the DOM and ssd are about the same in my book unless you got an SLC ssd. A 2.5" drive would probably be cheaper and would most likely outlast the dom and ssd.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "willri"

Unfortunately the NB HD drive is a very very old one and the transferrate is specified
    in Mbit/s and not in MB/s. That means it is much slower than a fast USB Stick, isn't it ?

I think 4gigs is going to be a bit small once you start setting up services.

Surely someone you know has a broken laptop or netbook, etc? Here in the US.. new 2.5in sata drives are generally pretty cheap on ebay (they can be found regularly in the 40-120gig range, which is plenty).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!