Setup growing pains, wonder if anyone can explain

• Here's something else you might find useful....

Crashtest has put together a pretty good "OMV Beginners" Guide.... While it's certainly not all inclusive of every little issue you could run into, a lot of new users have found it useful...

https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=202952#post202952

A guide like that is essentially the biggest reason I wanted to reach out for help. That and sepecific questions. I was lamenting the lack of a specific guide in my own head. So this is perfect. Thank you.

• I do not know what went into making the noexec mounting decision, but I speculate that it is to protect users from nefarious things happening on their systems. Things like malicious programs can wind up on drives that ordinary unprivileged users have write access to. If those malicious programs are also allowed to be executable, it could get ugly. Mounting noexec prevents things like this from happening in a simple way.

As I said, where the /config variable points to determines if the noexec problem will appear or not. On OMV 4.x and prior a plugin was available to install Plex and the default location for the metadatbase was /var/lib/plexmediaserver which is on the OS drive and hence mounted exec. If you used this plugin and just took the default setting, you were insulated from the noexec problem without even knowing about it....until your OS drive filled up, broke OMV, and forced you to move the database - something the plugin could do for you. But it could not change the target drive's mount options and didn't even mention that moving the database might break portions of Plex.

There are several other problems that can prevent Plex from working properly, and actually solving the noexec problem is a fix one can just do without understanding the theory behind it. All sorts of filesystem permission and ownership problems can break Plex and these can be more difficult to understand, and more easily misapplied in ways that cause major breakage.

As for the scope of solving the noexec problem, mounting exec only the drive required by Plex makes sense unless you have a more utilitarian installation and need to have other drives mounted exec.

There is no ideal place to store the metadata library, but my view is that it should be anywhere other than on the rootfs. It can be difficult to predict the eventual size of the database and at a minimum Plex will stop working if it runs out of room.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!