I posted this on Reddit, but was recommended to ask here.
I am trying to do a thing, but I suck at it.
I followed technodadlife’s videos about OMV 4 setup, Merger, Snap RAID and Plex. I feel, that I am having issues with Plex - which is my main reason for the server. I am also starting off with Plex, so I can get better at this thing, and I can do more with it. Things are working, but I am not sure I know what I am doing myself, and I feel like I am just following someone else’s directions. I know I am missing things conceptually because I am new to Linux first and foremost.
1) there are commands that take place out of GUI, in the command line environment that I do not understand what they do. As an example I ran into noexec issue with Plex (I think), and I have no clue what technodadlife did to get me through it
2) I ran into shared folder issues. I am trying to have a docker container Plex to point to shared folders within a union merger pool, but while I can see “media” folder I created, I cannot see “movies” folders within. Again this is within the container. So after some research I am pointing Plex container at a directory within /srv folder that is the union merger pool folder. I think this works OK, but I have no clue why shared folders don’t work, and especially where my data is stored.
***I am embarrassed by my stupidity enough I created a new username in Reddit. So please understand I know I am not smart.
3) I assume I am having issues with permissions. I created a user - let’s call him “banana” and gave him all the permissions and he is part of all groups under the OS. This seem dangerous, but OK. So this user has a UID and GUID that I can identify. Cool. He should have access, yet I cannot point Plex container to the shared folders. Ok. I did the workaround from #2. However, I do not understand why the PUID and PGUID should be banana’s, and not admin’s or root’s. Please explain. These user seem to access everything, but when I log into GUI as banana, I cannot do anything. I can only change OMV stuff as admin. Which is. Weird. To me, since banana has permissions to everything.
4) I got UniFi container to work. That made me feel good. And Plex is currently churning through 7 TB of data and trying to pull it, so I have to wait to see, if I can even use my files. But damn. The one thing I got to work without fail is I can see my shared folders on Windows box on the network. But I worry I am missing a ton of OMV functionality, do not know how to be self sustainable, and worry I will screw up my data or Plex at some point. I think some of the issues I am having, are related to being on Snap Raid and Union Merger instead of straight no chaser system.
5) In the future I would want to expand my storage and server stack with a better box, and definitely attach a NAS. But at this rate, I feel like I am stupid enough, I cannot handle Plex.
If anyone has anything to add, correct, explain, teach, I would appreciate it. All previous OMV guides I found just speak as if I already understood the file structure. I am not techno illiterate, can code, and am not scared of command line at all, and have experience with these things even. I just do not know what I am doing with Linux, OMV, Plex, and apparently life.
Sorry for the long post.
I have more questions (starting over with OMV 5? Migrating merger and raid structure to OMV 5? How hard is it to start over with unifi controller if I wipe?), but I think those above are the main ones.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk