Problem in 0.5.19? Importing a filesystem

• This is kind of complex but looks like a bug in 0.5.19 (does not occur in 0.5.0.24 - i.e. "vanilla" OMV 5).

I have an existing RAID 5 array which I'm introducing to a fresh install of OMV (OMV installed off ISO, and on first boot sees the 5 drives of the array).
    The array carries an encrypted EXT4 filesystem, which I created on a previous install of OMV.

The array is identified correctly and displayed in the web GUI. Then, I open the filesystem using "cryptsetup", which introduces /dev/mapper/mynas .
    So far so good.
    Now, I go to the web GUI and select filesystems. I can see /dev/mapper/mynas correctly as EXT4, not mounted. Still good. Now I select and click "mount".

In 0.5.0.24 this does the right thing and mounts the filesystem (while creating the mount point under /media and adding it to /etc/fstab). This is the expected behavior.

When same is done in 0.5.19, this fails. I get a popup with the following:

I'm not sure I understand what went wrong here, but I could not reconcile it while running 0.5.19. I tried to mount manually and have the GUI "learn" the situation. No good - this made things worse, as the FS is now mounted, but the web GUI does not see any "volumes" so I can't configure any shares. Game over, insert coin.

reinstalled 0.5.0.24, and all worked well again.

Help?!

• Just FYI: Don't try to do it manually because OMV needs to know the data disks/filesystems so that it can work with them.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Just FYI: Don't try to do it manually because OMV needs to know the data disks/filesystems so that it can work with them.

Greetings
    David

Indeed; doing the mount manually was a complete failure. Although, I can see that OMV does see things that I mount manually, and reports them correctly in the web GUI. It just isn't able to work with them, as you said.

Anyway, the problem seems to be bit higher up in the stack, and to me it looks like a bug.

• OMV 0.5.18 added a new function on how filesystems are accessed via the OMV rpc. Maybe this (your behaviour) is another thing that broke (we already had a bug that some users encountered, which was fixed with .19)

I'll poke Volker to have a look at it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "votdev"

The current behaviour is no bug. The old code only supports such devices accidently ;) The new storage backend implementation doesn't do this because it works as expected. SVN commit http://sourceforge.net/p/openmediavault/code/766/ will add support for device mapper devices.

What a lovely accident 8-)
    At any rate, if DM devices will work, and be mountable after being manually introduced (as is the case with my encrypted array), that works perfectly. Thanks a lot!

(I'm still curious as to what the error message in 0.5.19 even meant - i.e. what did it try to do that failed - can you point me to some doc or code that will explain it?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The error messageis incorrect, the incorrect info is displayed. Instead of the filesystem UUID there should be displayed the device file of it.

The error has been thrown because the storage backend was not able to identify the storage backend implementation for /dev/mapper/mynas. The new storage backend contains a list of classes that implements various storage devices like mdadm, lvm, generic device mapper, hdd, cciss hba. The generic storage backend implementation tries to identify the backend implementation for the given device called /dev/mapper/mynas, but because the generic device mapper backend implementation was not activated, it was not possible to resolve the identification process successfully.

• Volker,
    Thanks for pushing out 0.5.20 with the DM support.

The good news: 0.5.20 indeed sees the DM filesystem the first time it is opened, and I can mount it via the web GUI. The generic "Apply" dialog is also triggered, and saves the config with the "mounted" indication. So far - great stuff.

The other news: when the system is later rebooted, this is what happens:

• The filesystem dialog reports the fs as "Mounted = Yes" and "Status = Missing". This seems to be okay.[/*]
    • Then, I open the filesystem (cryptsetup). The filesystem dialog changes the Mounted indication to "No" and Status to "Online". This may still be okay (although one may think it would just go ahead and mount the fs, as it is part of the config).[/*]
    • Then, I try to mount it via the web GUI. The Mount button is available (not greyed out). When I click it, there is no error message, but also no action. Filesystem is not mounted.[/*]
    • When I mount it manually (using "mount -a" as the /etc/fstab and the mount point have been created by the initial action), the web GUI catches that and presents it as "Mounted = Yes". However, all control buttons are greyed out (Mount, Unmount and Delete). There is nothing I can do with the filesystem from the web GUI from that point onward. Can't even delete it.[/*]

Seems like it needs another tweak or two.

Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!