New build with X10SL7-F

• I'm Sergio. Hi, Hello, How you are?
    After a long eyelids burning session, I decided that Supermicro board is what I need for my OMV build and I just ordered it.

I must say that while this machine is for domestic use, I'm a programmer and sometimes I like to do experiments on spare times. So I will be storing the media collection for my XBMC system (perhaps I would also give Plex a try), my project sources, my wifes (advocate) stuff, and if It's possible, the security repository and host my web pages.

My idea it's running OMV in a VM on top of Proxmox. I would pass the SAS controller to OMV and build a SnapRaid, then leave the main controller waiting for someday ZFS is supported :P
    But I have so many questions, perhaps you could give me a hand.

First It's the processor selection. My idea is having the rig up all day long, perhaps sleep at nights, but I want to economize as a could.
    At first I thought about the E3-1220v3. but as I got my sun tan from looking at the screen, the E3-1240v3 looked a nice selection. I guess if idle consumption would be higher compared to the 1220.

My 2nd question is something philosophical. If OMV is based on Debian... also Proxmox (IIRC) what would be more optimal, making the installation as I described, or install OMV in a full Debian and also install all the goods for visualization?

What would be the best disk configuration for the former setup? reserve to sata ports, one for SSD system and other for a 2.5" spinning backup (raid1??) ? that would leave me with 4 SATA ports free for RAID6... and what concerns me, how I would configure virtio for OMV to access those ports.

Thanks for been there sharing that splendid knowledge. (running home... running home... :lol: )

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want virtual machines, why not install OMV and the Virtualbox plugin? While I have run OMV on proxmox, I definitely prefer OMV running directly on the hardware.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• errr, Yes! I suppose. Although I never thought I would read that from you, looking at your setup. :)
    Hello ryecoaaron.
    I was thinking that going straight to proxmox should improve on system backup and overall "undoability", to consider with a guy like me. And that a dedicated VM system should have a better performance.

But I'm sure that you have real experience on this setups. If you share your knowledge It will be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

At the school I do work for, I used OMV with virtualbox with two Win2k8 servers as guests. Performance was lacking for 200 students and 25 staff. Switching to proxmox with OMV and win2k8 as guests was much better.

At work, I run OMV as file server and with virtualbox with win2k3 database server and debian svn server as guests. Works well and performance is fine. I used to also have ubuntu/zimbra for my email server running as a guest on this setup and it was good enough.

At home, I run OMV but I do use a WinXP VM on virtualbox once in a while.

With OMV 0.6/1.0 coming that based on Debian Wheezy, I think OMV as the host and virtualbox should be good enough for most. If you know Debian well enough, you can fix just about any problem which should satisfy the undoability needed. I always test my changes in a VM before installing on my main system. Haven't had to undo much :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I like direct OMV because it is simple and stable. I prefer the OMV web interface with virtualbox to Proxmox's web interface. The only place I've ever preferred proxmox was at the school because of so many users. That server is also a haswell xeon.

• Oh no! I'm trying to get memory for this board (to spain) and I can't get a supplier.
    Anyone knows for an online shop in Europe?
    Apart from the ones in SM list... What are other proven memory models? What memory this boards owners have?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Read.

• Zitat von "Sergio"

Oh no! I'm trying to get memory for this board (to spain) and I can't get a supplier.
    Anyone knows for an online shop in Europe?
    Apart from the ones in SM list... What are other proven memory models? What memory this boards owners have?

prueba en ALTERNATE: http://www.alternate.es/html/l…DDR3-ECC/711?tk=7&lk=6547

• Hola Raúl. Muchas gracias por el enlace. La verdad es que me has alegrado la tarde. Pero el tema realmente es si esas memorias van a ser compatibles con esta placa. También es cierto que siendo una compra nacional sería más factible el prueba y error.

• Solo tendrias que mirar en la web de supermicro y ver que memorias estan certificadas y si alguna de ellas la venden en alternate, lo malo es que solo han certificado 1 la HYNIX: http://www.supermicro.com/supp…&type=0&ecc=0&reg=0&fbd=0

http://www.supermicro.com/prod…rd/Xeon/C220/X10SL7-F.cfm

por lo que lo tienes crudo para acertar, lo más que puedes hacer es seguir buscando con san google otros usuarios que hayan probado otras memorias y les funcionen y que alguna de esas referencias las puedas comprar en Alternate.

respecto a lo de devolver la memoria si no te vale me temo que ninguna tienda te aceptará esa politica de devoluciones.

• Me acaban de contactar los de Alternate para indicarme que la memoria para mi placa es:
    http://www.alternate.es/Kingst…z-Kit/html/product/962157

Si ellos me la indican específicamente y luego no funciona es otra cosa :)
    Se notará mucha diferencia de rendimiento entre 1333 y 1666 Mhz? Es de 1333Mhz, pero en cambio tiene una latencia CL9 en lugar de 10-11 de las de la web de Supermicro.

For Aaron and others, Would you like me to give translations for those speaks?

Aaron, what do you think about those sticks been offered. Will a 1333mhz be a loose on a e31240v3 system?
    I saw that Supermicro dropped kingston on approved memory... :roll:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using 1333 memory will give up speed. I would try to stick with 1600 sticks. What about this?

• I'm shopping for the CPU (1240) and then I found two new cpus. The E3-1241v3 and the E3-1231v3. The first has a slight better clock speed but It's cheaper on my local supplier. But with the 1231 it's even stranger. My first searches on the net about it, are telling me that it has the same specs that the 1240 but 47€ cheaper!!
    Does anyone knows wheres the trick?

Aaron, those sticks you referenced could be CT102472BD160B crucials? Do you think they would work? https://www.alternate.es/Cruci…0MHz/html/product/1099717?
    They have a nice price and they told me they would be available.

• No trick. Just the Haswell refresh versions.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!