Recommendation for a system drive hardware (HP N40L)

• Hi,

Currently playing around with a test install on a HP N40L.. using the included 250Gb as a system drive and 3 x 1.5Tb drives for a RAID5 data volume.

However for my final install I want to use 4 x 3Tb drives for the data RAID5 array (currently on order) and therefore need to to make an alternate arrangement for my system drive. Have toyed with the idea of a USB stick however popular opinion seems to be this resulting in a set-up which will fail in only a matter of time.

Looking for a recommendation for a suitable drive to use - ie. fast enough not to impact performance while being cheap. Any ideas? 2.5" generally the way to go? Any links to UK suppliers greatly received (lazy I know.. though I'm guessing I'm not exactly the first person on here to be going down this road!! :)

Thanks in advance, Simon

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a 2.5" 250 GB WD Scorpio black in the optical bay of mine. Works great, fairly cheap, and no worries about flash memory. Just flash the bios with the hacked bios so it runs at full speed. You will need a 5.25 to 2.5 adapter, sata cable, and molex to sata power adapter as well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would:

1. Pull the 250gig and put it in an external enclosure. This of course, will require an extra power supply for the external enclosure.

2. Go the 2.5in route (that's probably what I would do)... Also, you don't need a "huge" drive to pull this off. I don't know what the ebay equivalent is there, but I've found lots of laptop drives there that work great for OMV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TO…rives&hash=item3f0ad90b39

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshib…rives&hash=item519e454728

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60GB-6…rives&hash=item51a054d748

Those are just a few... at less than $40 US for a new drive, that's a pretty good deal.

• I have a lot of experience with Toshiba and Western Digital drives. The Toshiba's run hot. I really like the Western Digital Black laptop drives and have never had an issue with them. Mostly have used them to replace slower laptop drives but I've also got one as a system drive in my Windows Home Server 2011. They are incredibly reliable and stable. I've also been very happy with Intel and Crucial solid state drives as well. My OMV is running 64gb sata3 Crucial SSD and man it is nice.

• Hi,

I'm in the same position, I was going to use a usb drive but hear of the failures, my intention is to use it to stream bluray to a media player.

Would there be a big performance hit if I don't flash the BIOS? I'm a noob when it comes to things like this.
    Are there any flash drives optimised for this so that failure won't be an issue?
    Could I use an external USB drive (not a flash disk but an USB 2.5" HDD )?

Thanks for any assistance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know how much of a difference it would make if you didn't flash the bios. Since it is the system drive, you aren't transferring files from it. So, it might not make a difference other than booting.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, you seem to be talking about two different things as if they have the same problem.

Flash drive(thumb drives, etc.) -- expect problems. I personally wouldn't do it. I burned a flash drive in 2 weeks just when I was "learning" OMV.

USB drive (ie, a 2.5/3.5 drive in an external enclosure, or purchasing an external drive) should be just fine. A 2.5in external would be better, since it would be able to run off the USB bus, rather than requiring an external power supply.

If you really look, you can probably find a place to put a 2.5in drive inside your case, so you don't have to use an external enclosure.

• Carnajo, if I was in you shoes I'd probably call a computer repair store and ask how much they would charge to flash the modded BIOS for you. If that is an option for you call some places. To n40l users, could someone please give carnajo the link to the modded BIOS???

• Offizieller Beitrag

How to flash is here and it has a link to the bios.

• Sorry, I just worded it poorly.

I was just wondering if a 2.5" USB drive would be suitable or whether performance over USB would be poor and hence if I may be better off using SATA and flashing the BIOS. Of course USB would be much easier as then I don't have to fiddle with the BIOS. If the performance of using 5th SATA port on an unflashed BIOS is not much worse off then that would also be fine.

EDIT: And to clarify I'm more concerned about performance whilst streaming HD media or transferring data; slower boot times aren't a massive issue.

Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Carnajo, if I was in you shoes I'd probably call a computer repair store and ask how much they would charge to flash the modded BIOS for you. If that is an option for you call some places. To n40l users, could someone please give carnajo the link to the modded BIOS???

Thanks very much for the suggestion, honestly though I'd rather do it myself than trust the average computer repair guy.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

How to flash is here and it has a link to the bios.

Much obliged!

• Used to have a 4GB microdrive running off a USB Compact Flash adaptor, worked fine. Not being satisfied with things that just work I found a 32GB SSD on sale and swapped that out for my boot drive. Been running that for 8 months without issue in my top optical bay, not even secured.

• And it is no rocket science.

But anyhow you do not need it really. It will enable ATAPI for the optical drive SATA port, but you can live without it for the system drive. As the system drive itselve is not relevant for the performance of the NAS I would not overestimate the BIOS improvements.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• I was running a MicroDrive for a while myself, but I started doing other things with the server that were apparently hitting the system drive a lot harder than just pulling files over SMB. This is where the MicroDrive unfortunately showed its shortcomings.

Switched back to the first system drive I used, which is an old 80GB SATA drive I had laying around. It still isn't very fast, but handles increased load on the system drive a lot better than the MicroDrive ever did. Didn't bother with the hacked BIOS since the early SATA drives weren't very quick to begin with.

The only issues I've run into thus far have been with vibrations. I tried a few hard drives in the top bay, and no matter what, after a while I would start hearing a buzzing sound coming from the top bay due to vibrations. Since the drive slides in on a track, no matter how I mounted it, it would eventually make noise. The fix I found was to cover the screw heads themselves with a small piece of ordinary electrical tape, (I actually used two pieces per screw, but one would probably suffice) this made the drive fitment a lot tighter and silenced whatever vibration would have remained.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!