I/O Device Error when copying files

• Hi All,

Just built my very first NAS the other day and I've been setting it up over the past few days.

I've got 4x WD 3TB Red NAS HDD's as my storage and I've set them up using LVM.

I have then split the LVM up into 5 Logical Volumes - Media, Music, Photos, Software & Personal using the ext4 file system.

I've set up the folders to be shared via SMB/CIFS, with all 5 logical volumes having the same settings.

My issue is that I can copy files onto my Media & Photos folders but when I go to copy anything onto the Music or Personal folders, it comes up with the following error:

Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I'm copying the files to the NAS from another PC running Windows 8.1. As I mentioned, I can copy files to the Media & Photos volumes with no issues, but the Music or Personal folders don't like it.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Stephen

• Hi

*irony on* Ha WD REDs (again) *irony off*

1) Please pot your HW setup including Mainboard and SATA chipset.
    2) Please post complete DMESG/syslog error output
    3) make a qucik SMART self test on all drives first just to see if they pass it. I had lots of issues with WD REDs

@more advanced linux users tha myself:
    As you use LVM, Media&Phtos might be on a different drive than Music&Personal - is there a way to show which folders reside on which dribes - I assume that this is not possible !?

thx

• Thanks for the response.

WD Red's not a good choice huh? I'll see how I go before changing I guess but sounds like fun!!

A bit has happened since I originally posted. Basically I connected the NAS to a monitor and it showed me the following error:

Music: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY. Error reading block ............ (invalid argument).

Showed same error for the Personal folder as well.

So I did some research and tried to run some fsck commands with no luck, so I then decided to reinstall omv.

I did that but now I'm having another issue which is probably related. I deleted the share folders, file systems & LVM logical & physical volumes and wiped the 4 WD Red's clean using the Web GUI.

So basically I thought I was back at the beginning with completely blank & fresh HDD's.

Whenever I go to add a physical disk to the LVM and choose a device, it gives me the options of the 4 HDD's that are empty but also the /dev/mapper/NAS-Media, /dev/mapper/NAS-Music, /dev/mapper/NAS-Personal, /dev/mapper/NAS-Photos, /dev/mapper/NAS-Software options from my previous setup.

How do I delete the previous /dev/mapper options so that I can add the physical disks again?

And to answer your questions above, the NAS specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3240 (1150 socket)

Mobo: Gigabyte H97M-D3H mATX

RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz (2x 2Gb)

SSD: Kingston V300 60GB

HDD: 4x WD 3Tb Red

Case: Fractal Design Node 804

PSU: Corsair CX430

NIC: Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter

I'm going to run the SMART tests via smartctl command shortly and will post the results.

Can I still post DMESG/syslog outputs or is it too late since I reinstalled OMV?

• Change the 3tb for 2tb or 4tb if you still can. Apparently there are lots of issues with the 3tb one.

I wish I could but I don't like my chances at all really :( I will stick it out with the 3Tb's and see if I'm one of the lucky ones. If not, then I'll consider my options then.

Ran the SMART test via CLI using the command # smartctl -H /dev/sda for all 4 HDD's and the SSD. All all the drives passed the SMART test.

• I may have a working NAS for the moment.

I rebooted the NAS from the Web GUI and once I logged back in, the previous /dev/mapper options were gone.

So I was able to finish setting up the NAS and I've just tested by copying one file into each of the 5 folders.

So it looks like it's ok for the moment!

• 1)Since u re-installed the DMESG/syslog output is lost.
    If you encounter errors again, please post the syslog section.

2)"error reading block" highly suggests a drive issue.
    Can u post the SMART info for each drive?

3) smartctl -H only shows SMART data as far as I remeber.
    Please do:
    smartctl -t short /dev/sdx

• Yea but if it is due to bad blocks th issues will re-apprear once the block will be in use - maybe you are just using different parts of te HDDs momentarily

• Oh ok, I'll run that command when I get a chance again. Just about my bedtime right now! Thanks for helping me out though.

Yea but if it is due to bad blocks th issues will re-apprear once the block will be in use - maybe you are just using different parts of te HDDs momentarily

Yeah that is true, unforutnately :( I'll hope for the best but I'll see how it goes & be on the look out for anything suspicious.

• I ran the SMART code you suggested above but not sure it's doing anything.

This is the screen I get once I type in that code:

Ignore the top part of the screen where I clearly couldn't type properly :|

• The short test takes 2-3 minutes.

In the GUI you can check easy if it failed or passed GUI->SMART->drives-> select one and click on "information" and then under the tab "selftest" you ca see the result.

If all drives pass the quick test. You should check the following in an order of your choice:

run long test (approx 8hrs /drive)
    check/replace sata cables

• Thanks heaps for that. Didn't know what I was supposed to see with the test results.

So the two drives I tested sdb & sdc passed without error. I'll do the other two tonight or first thing tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Then I'll try the long test for each, if the short tests reveal no issues.

• And where are your normal Smart values???

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I get the feeling that the smart long test is as usefull as a third nut in most cases.

Code
    smartctl -a /dev/sdX

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!