Home NAS Advice

• Offizieller Beitrag

3 MB/s is about as fast as wireless G can go and 10MB/s is as fast as 100Mbps can go. So, no samba problems here.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's what I was worried about. I am going to get a wireless AC access point for portable devices. So I can move stuff around on a Samba share like it's local, but if I move stuff between shares, it'll be slow (move to client, then back to server)?

• Ok, had a go at installing my HVR-2200 Hauppauge Tuner Card today. It actually went much better than I expected. I tried installing the driver previously, and the commands on https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/i…/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200 didn't work at first. But I actually installed the card today, and then tried again, and this time worked through the errors with the updates and it worked. The steps under "Making it Work Easily" seemed to get it working, and by looking at the dmesg errors I was able to google the last bits. One thing was that I had tried installing TVH and so stopped that service and also the VDR service which might have been using the adapter at the same time.

Unfortunatley, the hard part is done, and now I can't seem to get the easy part working. I have started the VDR services, but can't get to the Admin site using the 8001 port, it says can't reach site? Am I doing something stupid? I'm using the same IP address that I access OMV Web ADmin site with the 8001 port? Any help appreciated.

• Ok, I found it on another thread. I needed to give the vdr and vdr-am groups R/W access in ACL for Shared Folder where my recordings are. That was it, then the VDR service started. I haven't logged in yet, but I get to the login page...need to spend some time with the kids first :D

• I've just been working on a script to upload my photos off camera and back up via USB. But rsync from nas to usb 3 is really slow, ~ 35kB/s?? Any reason what I might have done wrong? New hardware, mounted USB 3 drive to internal red nas drives... Just using rsync for photo syncing.

Sent from my ZTE Fit 4G Smart using Tapatalk

• If anyone is interested, after much frustration, it appears to be either something to do with "usbmount" the automatic usb mounting tool that I was using, or the mount point. My usb drive is NTFS formatted, and I had to add that to the usbmount config, so it could be due to that?

Basically, after trying to test the performance with:

> hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

and

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/output bs=8k count=10k; rm -f /tmp/output

I found that I was only getting around 30kB/s...which is absolutely ridiculous! I was trying to sync a few GB's of photos, which isn't actually much either.

I unmounted and then mounted to /mnt instead, and it was lightning fast! Up around the couple hundred MB/s with dd, even faster. If anyone can explain this, it would be nice. I will see if changing the usbmount config makes a difference, otherwise I'll just have to update my script to manually mount to /mnt using udev rules.

The good thing, is that I'm not gonig crazy, my hardware isn't broken and I was able to figure out a workaround...but it was frustrating that it didn't just work :S

• 3 months and I've forgotten everything. Finally got some times to hopefully finish off my NAS, but I can't even seem to login to my OMV??? I get the following:

Software Failure. Press left mouse button to continue.
    Incorrect username or password.

I tried resetting the admin password via SSH, but still can't login. I will try restarting, after I finish backing up the data, just in case. Everything seems to be working, although I was just tryign to login to OwnCloud and can't get in there either. That's weird, as that's a user account that I'm using to access via Samba, etc. But I've actually forgoteen where I got to with OC, so maybe I'm doign the wrong thing there.

Any advice on what might be the problem logging intot he Web portal? I'm sort of blind without it...

• SOLVED: a restart fixed both problems, I've just logged into the web portal for OMV and OC!

Is this a potential bug? maybe auth services??? Possibly some update that was done over that time? Or does the server require a frequent restart to prevent going into a "bad state"? for future reference...

• Help with permissions please?

I have a fileshare for my personal photos/videos. I have set that to O (RWX), G (RWX) and Others (None). But I wanted to restrict this, but making the Group only have RX permission, and then giving a particular user RWX permission to a subfolder (for Phone uploads only). This is becuase I upload all photos/videos to this share as root anyway, and thought it was more secure to restrict these folders?

Anyway, if that's the case, any reason why I still can't create files in that subfolder that I've given my user RWX access to? I used the OMV webgui and checked it via SSH as well. the permissions on teh folder are drwxrws---+

Any advice would be appreciated, otherwise I'm just going back to Owner/Group having RWX :S

• First, please post your files permission here.

cd to your folder path.
    next: ls -la
    Copy & paste in here.

Basically you want 0755 for all your personal files.
    Owner have full permission, while group & others have read & execute only.

ie. gabs:users /personal

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Thanks for the response. I've attached it here. I was keeping root as owner, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing really.

I have a user for me and one for my wife just to access the files from our devices and also I was trying to setup a folder for us to upload photos/videos from our devices (to auto backup). It was sort of working, but I seem to have screwed up the permissions for plex now :S

I was thinking that our users didn't need to have write access to these folders, except for uploading so I created an ACL for just the resective UPload folder. I guess from a security perspective, I wanted to prevent unnecessary write access to personal photos/videos (just in case I or more likely my wife accidentally moved/deleted something :)

I probably simplify the structure a bit, and not use ACLs as it appears I don't know what I'm doing.

cheers for your help.

• Ok, so I keep meaning to do a Backup before something goes wrong, and now AAHHHHH!

I was following this Guide: Headless Backup of the System Drive with Clonezilla

When I rebooted, my system would not come back on the network. Tried another reboot, and another but not coming back. Couldn't see it on the network at all???

So I took it down, hooked it up to my old TV, and it boots up, phew. But then thought, WTF is wrong? I just don't understand, when I do this ip addr show eth0 or eth1, the state is DOWN and no IP address...? Can someone please help, not sure have I blown something? The lights on the ethernet port are not flashing on the back of the server either...that's not good right?

• And I think I've fixed the problem that somehow manifested itself from a simple reboot.

I never setup a Static Lease for my media server on my router, just seemed to always get assigned the same IP address...

So considering it didn't look like anything was broken, I thought I'd try doing that. So I setup a DHCP Lease on an IP out of the DHCP range, and then used omv-firstaid to set that IP address up on the server. Voila! (Although I had another head scratching point when it wasn't work as I had left the ehternet cable unplugged whilst it was spewing me Adapter Errors and forgotten to put it back in: NOTE always check both ends of the cable are connected before scratching head).

Ok, that's it for tonight, I'll attempt to do a Backup another night, when I have built up the courage again :S

• Clonezilla plugin works without any issue in OMV 3

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!